Notices

desperate for help!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Gary,
Alcohol is certainly causing you a lot of problems and anguish, that is enough to give up IMHO, don't listen to others about what constitutes an alcoholic.
I know I am. Early in sobriety that was confirmed by the obvious cravings and mental battles with alcohol.
I am over a year sober with the help of AA and this forum.
All the best

love
CaiHong
Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Gary, Google and read AA's "How It Works" and "The Doctors Opinion". See if you can identify.

Looking forward to hearing how your meeting went. You'll probably meet a few mates there that you haven't seen for a while and thought had died

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome gary.Glad you are going to a meeting tonight,look forward to hearing how you get on.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome & good luck! I think AA is a good pace to start! You will be welcomed there! One thing that people keep telling me is when I go to meetings I should look for the similarities, not the differences in what I hear people say & share. The 12 steps is a good program. Period. I think anyone, alcoholic or not, could benefit from them.

What do you have to lose?!? I hope you go & please report back how it went for you!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
I have arranged to attend my first AA meeting tonight and would like to ask members of the forum is they think this is for me, I will be grateful for the support I am at rock bottom.
Welcome to SR Gary.

One thing I did not do in active addiction was to make an informed discussion when dealing with important matters in life. For me I regret not discovering the large array of recovery program options when I first entered recovery.

Along with AA there is SOS, LifeRing,
SMART, CBT, DBT and AVRT programs of recovery. Have a look at these and tell me what you think?

One thing to be mindful about is: no single recovery program is for everybody and there is no wrong way to be happy, joyous and free in a life without alcohol.

One last thing, being an active participant here at SR is a good recovery program too.

So you can do this recovery deal...yes?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome glad you are here.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Your at least aware of it and want to change that is the first step. Just try one step at a time baby steps and you will be fine.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

First of all, a massive thank you to each and everyone of you with your wisdom and words of encouragement. I have just arrived back from my first AA meeting and I'm quite emotional. Firstly I'm emotional beacause I never thought I could do it and secondly I finally feel as though this could be the beginning of the end of all bad things that have happened through alcohol. I also miss my partner and son who I haven't seen for over a week through my problem with alcohol and wish I could hold them. I realise this is a long journey ahead and maybe things won't go perfect at the start, but I need to be strong. I need to think of my son but I think I have lost my partner. Maybe one day a reconciliation will be possible but only me can make that possible. Again thanks for the support and I wilkeep posting.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Firstly I'm emotional beacause I never thought I could do it and secondly I finally feel as though this could be the beginning of the end of all bad things that have happened through alcohol.
Well you did it...And it can be...I'm proud of you Gary. Sounds like you have some hope...What a beautiful thing!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You did it!!!!! Awesome job!! And yes, keep posting!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Woke up this morning feeling low at what I've done in the past and the fact I've ruined my relationship but I won't take a drink today.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Gary, get some phone numbers from the AA members and call them when you get down.

You can do this.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Every day you don't drink...Things will get better...It's been that way for me....I can't do anything about relationships I've ruined...Including my 17 year marriage...Besides learn from them....And what I've learned is I can't have one drink...And when I don't...Things get better. Have a good day Gary...I'm going to my meeting.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm heading out to a morning meeting myself.
Have a good one Sapling and Gary !

Bob R
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm so low just seen my kid and partner and had to walk out that front door with my few belongings I have nothing left. It can only spur me on to become a better person, a sober person and do what's right for me and my family and I hope with the support of here and the AA I can do this. Why me? Why did this demon have to control me.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm so low just seen my kid and partner and had to walk out that front door with my few belongings I have nothing left. It can only spur me on to become a better person, a sober person and do what's right for me and my family and I hope with the support of here and the AA I can do this. Why me? Why did this demon have to control me.
I can't answer why some us have this problem...And why we put ourselves through what we do before we put a stop to it. I don't know. I can tell you if you want to turn your life around and start a new one....There are people that are willing to help you....And I'm one of them. People helped show me how to do it....They'll do the same for you. It's going to take some effort on your part....But no more effort than you put into drinking. Probably less. It's not about what is done...It's about what you are willing to do.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support sapling and I am going to put the effort in necessary to change my life.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support sapling and I am going to put the effort in necessary to change my life.
Anything I can do to help you...Let me know...I'm here. Send me a private message. There is a way out of this sh!t...Just don't let go of hope.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Gary I am sorry you feel so low.
You will always have a link to your partner through your child.
Who knows what the future may bring?
Why not use this time to read here, read AA literature, maybe google some info on addiction. Educate yourself.
When you understand better about addiction, then things may make more sense. Learn about the 'yets', learn about how it is a progressive disease, learn about 'going back out there' again.

Go easy on yourself in these first few days.

Also be prepared for the little voice that may kick in a few days time, telling you that your fine. You cannot be an alcoholic or have a drink problem if you have gone without for a couple of days. So a couple of drinks won't hurt.

Take care mate xxxx
Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks guys need to go now up for work in a few hours