Notices

desperate for help!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I've got the meeting tomorrow so I will ask for numbers then thanks for the support I will try my hardest to hold on.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

If you're sitting on a drink...Check in here and talk about it...Somebody will talk you out of it...If you pray....Ask for strength. Just get through today Gary...That's it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I wasnt there to shake your hand so ---- Hi I am Indamiricale and welcome home. virtual shake.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Keep using us Gary. You will not be alone - you'll have us
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now Gary?

D
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Gary, my recovery came from surrendering to AA, not fighting the disease.

I wish you the best,

Bob R
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Gary, I'm ru.

How are you doing today? I just read your thread and wanted to congratulate you on your resolve to address this horrible addiction that we have. It does get better if we stop drinking. Hang in there man! You can do this.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi guys thanks again for your post I managed to stay away from the drink last night although I have been getting cravings today. I kept busy and have a meeting tonight at 8 so quite looking forward to it. I am also going to start back on a fitness regime tomorrow at my local gym. I was speaking to my ex last night and she's made it clear she doesn't want me around because she's heard me telling her a million times I'm going to quit the drink but have always let her down. I hope I can beat this horrible addiction and maybe one day she will give me a chance to be a family with her and my son but in the meantime, I need to focus on getting better for me first then hopefully everything else will fall into place.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I've heard it said a few times before that other people need to be convinced by our actions, not what we say. Keep taking it one day at a time and eventually you'll have months of sobriety behind you x
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi people I went to a meeting last night and it was good the speaker was a guy younger than me and I could relate to certain things he said. I too took alcohol to be somebody that I was not, and felt the pressure to keep this up. My situation gradually got worse than that, I was drinking to escape my problems and eventually the binges were lasting 5,6,7 days and at the end of them all I felt was self-pity, understandibly I was ill and didn't want to face the world. That isn't the life I want to lead anymore and I realise it only takes for me to not have that first drink easy as it sounds although I feel like I am in a better frame of mind to deal with it than I've ever been.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad your meeting went well! You're doing the right stuff - you can't get too much support during those first days/weeks. Every day I stayed sober I felt a little bit stronger and better about myself. It's hard work but you'll be amazed at the rewards and it gets easier over time. Stay in today, make recovery #1, and remember that cravings may come, but they also go and if you don't act on them, you reduce their power over you.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
Thanks for the replies and the honest answer to that question is YES!!! E erytime in my life I feel it is under control it happens again and I can't live my life like this anymore I feel like I am an alcoholic even though I don't drink everyday and can stay sober for some months at a time I do think about it
I know exactly how u feel. Im 23 and realized I was an alcoholic 2 years ago and have been battling ever since. Ive quit twice and would eventually feel in control of my drinking until that same horrible night came around where I ruined friendships, relationships, and my dignity. It always seems to come back. This last time I lost the best thing that's ever happened to me, i had the worst week of my life and have decided I'm not going to try and stay sober, I'm GOING to stay sober. For good this time. Reading these forums have really helped cause its made me realize im not alone in this. One step at a time, that's what I have to remember.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too searching4lite

D
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi there, I haven't been on in a couple of months and I'm glad to say I have now been sober since June 26th. I was attending meetings although I haven't been to one in a couple of weeks. Something bad happened to me this morning, I received a phonecall at 6.50 am. My Father died of a heart attack and I am devestated. My father was an alcoholic all his life and knew this day was coming but it's hard to accept. I am constantly thinking of drink and need to find the strength to stay strong for my partner and son while grieving I don't know what to do!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Gary, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my father a few years ago and know how painful it is. All I can tell you is that drinking only intensified my pain and put my own child at risk of losing her father. God be with you and your family.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey Gary, so glad you found SR, welcome I've heard AA isn't for everyone but it has been helping me. It is nice to meet people face to face that know what you are going through. Please let us know how the meeting goes!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Gary.

I think support is the key - drinking will solve nothing and it will not help you get through this - it simply puts us in a holding pattern where we push the grief to one side and when we sober up the grief comes back.

Do reach out to your AA friends and meetings - now is a good time for you to do that.

I am glad to hear of your progress - I know this is a dreadful time, but don't throw that away - I think your Dad would be proud of what you're achieving

D
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Albatross3 View Post
Gary, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my father a few years ago and know how painful it is. All I can tell you is that drinking only intensified my pain and put my own child at risk of losing her father. God be with you and your family.
I am sorry for your loss. I can tell you being drunk does not fix anything. I was drunker than a skunk at both of my parents funerals and I am still screwed up today because I never grieved properly. Get to an AA meeting where ever the funeral is and get the support you need
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Gary,

Condolonces on the passing of your father. It's great that you have stayed sober since June. I am sure your father would not want you to drink over his this.
I would strongly suggest getting back to meetings and stepping up your program, this is a time when you need to consolidate.
Keep reading and posting. This is a very crucial and vunerable time for you.

All the best
Love
CaiHong