Notices

6 months sober for me!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months sober for me!

It's been a while since I posted here. Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that it IS possible to stop drinking. I drank beer or wine at least 4-5 times a week for 20 years and now I don't drink anymore. My life used to revolve around alcohol. Now, I have Odoul's with my friends or when I am out at a restaurant and it has been working for me just fine.

I don't even crave alcohol anymore after educating myself about what alcohol was doing to my brain. I have never attended any AA meetings either. That's NOT for me. I was pretty much forced into stopping alcohol due to major panic attacks on the days that I wasn't drinking. That worked out to be a good thing for me. I read two very helpful books on neurobiology and what alcohol was doing to my GABA and serotonin receptors and how that was causing my panic attacks. Now, no more booze and no more panic attacks.

My doctor prescribed Valium (a benzo) for me when all this started back in August 2011. I quickly realized how harmful that was to me too (as it affects the same GABA receptors as alcohol) so I quit that too. That was all I needed was benzo w/d on top of alcohol w/d. Things are getting much better for me except for some GERD issues that I never had before.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 6 months... what books did you read, if you don't mind me asking. I would like to take a look at them.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

1. Addiction Solution by David Kipper
2. Science of Addiction by Carlton Erickson

These two books changed my life. I never knew what alcohol was REALLY doing to my brain before I read these. Knowledge is Power.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations, withdrawing! Great post, too - thanks for sharing what you learned about your panic attacks being related to alcohol. When I was drinking I was totally unaware of the connection - it's such a relief not to live with anxiety (and depression) anymore.....
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats withdrawing !!

It was a surprise to me how my (self-perscribed) "medicine" had become my poison, too.

It's wonderful how you've used your knowledge ;.....drawing that deep line in the sand
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Well done !!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the insight. When I was drinking I was having some kind of panic/anxiety/depression attacks usually the day after a long night of drinking with barely any sleep. Right now I am trying to pick up the pieces and make sure that never happens again to avoid scaring and hurting my husband, daughter and myself. It used to happen before I started drinking but it has gotten so much worse and I never really thought alcohol was to blame until I read your post. My thought was that the alcohol was a way to cope with the anxiety, etc. but maybe it was the opposite and it was making it worse.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My thought was that the alcohol was a way to cope with the anxiety, etc. but maybe it was the opposite and it was making it worse.
I used to think this too a long time ago. Then I learned about GABA and how alcohol affects the GABA receptors. GABA is the neurotransmitter that is responsible for keeping you calm. Alcohol binds to your GABA receptor sites and causes your own body to make less of it's own GABA.

After many years of alcohol abuse your body adjusts to alcohol affecting the GABA receptors. Take away the alcohol, even for a day or two, then the body does not have enough GABA to keep you calm. Your central nervous system is left in a excited hyper anxiety ridden state until you bring back the medicine, the alcohol to replenish the GABA and calm you down again.

It's a terrible cycle that can only get better by completely getting away from alcohol, breaking the cycle and allowing your body to heal and start making it's own GABA again.

As far as the depression goes, alcohol depletes serotonin causing depression. Lacking serotonin and GABA is what brings you back to the alcohol to raise them again. It's a terrible cycle.

check this out below:

Effects of Alcohol on GABA production and function
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good deal, keep it going. May your GABA rise and your GERD decline.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations

D
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 6 months!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 6 months, that's awesome!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Now, I have Odoul's with my friends or when
I am out at a restaurant and it has been working
for me just fine. "

A small % of alcohol but still consumtion
of alcohol. The brain always knows.

Alcohol is cunning baffling and powerful
no matter how it is disguised.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A small % of alcohol but still consumtion
of alcohol. The brain always knows.
Less than .5 % alcohol and no more than 1 to 2 max maybe every 3 or 4 weeks is not alcohol consumption in my book. I drank for 20 years before this and MY brain doesn't know. I have not ONE single time ever felt anything from an Odoul's. I mean NOTHING. It has never once made me think, you know what I'm going back to real beer. Not once. This might not work for everyone but it works for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I use to get panic attacks ALL the time back when I was drinking. I would be racing to work late with a hangover thinking of what excuse I would say to them if they said anything, I would get there, nobody would say anything like usual then I would hide out at my cubical and act busy until the feelings went away around noon. I did that so many times and never once thought it was the alcohol that was causing it...just another reason to stay sober.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelloKitty8340 View Post
Congrats on the 6 months... what books did you read, if you don't mind me asking. I would like to take a look at them.
I read:

Under the Influence
Rational Recovery
Drinking, A Love Story (my favorite)
Some of the AA Big Book

Currently working on Moments of Clarity

Good luck
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 Months! That is amazing, you are an inspiration. Thank you for posting! xo
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nicely done!

Under the Influence is a fantastic book.