Notices

Quitting alcohol is hard to do

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol is hard to do

So, I try to stop drinking to day but some how I could not keep myself walking forward. I had 4 beers to calm myself down. Well, I'm out of it and want to drink more. I will not be able to sleep until I start drinking it. I just want to post then to tell you all it's really hard to quit alcohol. I only got 25 days of sobriety and started to drink because I could. It's 3:52am and the only place I can get alcohol is 8 miles from here. They sell alcohol 24/7 now. Just my luck and I know it's up to me to stop drinking but my mind is set and the cravings are controlling me.

Well, just want to tell you that before I head to the gas station.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
So, I try to stop drinking to day but some how I could not keep myself walking forward. I had 4 beers to calm myself down. Well, I'm out of it and want to drink more. I will not be able to sleep until I start drinking it. I just want to post then to tell you all it's really hard to quit alcohol. I only got 25 days of sobriety and started to drink because I could. It's 3:52am and the only place I can get alcohol is 8 miles from here. They sell alcohol 24/7 now. Just my luck and I know it's up to me to stop drinking but my mind is set and the cravings are controlling me.

Sad....I was beaten like that too....Walking in the snow at three in the morning. You really ought to consider checking into some kind of rehab with controlled detox. It amazes me the sh!t that stuff put me through.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't really know what to say... you know how this is going to play out & what is going to happen. I guess I have to ask is it really worth it?

You had four beers to calm down, leaving at 4 AM to drive (I hope not if you have been drinking) or walk eight miles doesn't sound very calming.

How about just watching a movie or reading a book & going to bed Action, you will feel better & save yourself some $ at the same time.

Hope you can find your path to sobriety.

Take Care ~ NB
Old 01-30-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
27 ½ days in a spin-dry aren't going to help him much, as ACT10Npack seems to be able to get a month in on his own steam. He needs to figure out how to stay stopped. I would list some options for doing so, but I know that he has already been made aware of them, and has chosen to disregard any and all reasonable advice on the matter.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
27 ½ days in a spin-dry aren't going to help him much, as ACT10Npack seems to be able to get a month in on his own steam. He needs to figure out how to stay stopped. I would list some options, but I know that he has already been made aware of them, and has chosen to disregard any and all reasonable advice on the matter.
I didn't go to one that was a spin-dry. I went to one that focused on a program. I learned something. I think he needs to learn something too.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try to remember what you posted Saturday Action...

Nothing changes if nothing changes... you can do this but it takes effort & commitment & resolve.

Put that same effort into not picking up that first drink that you are with getting that next drink & I think you will be just fine (example: Going eight miles to the store at 4 AM to get alcohol ;-)

All of the best ~ NB

Got drunk again. Stupid me. :-P

What did I learn from it?

I learn a lot. Me testing myself if I was okay to be around alcohol. I was telling myself it was okay for me to drink again. Stupid me. I know why I walk pass the beer lane in the store.

What will I change with myself? DON'T test myself like I did before. I should not be testing myself like I did.

If I drink or not is not important. I'm not happy when I drink and I should focus on that. Got to start over again but I learn something from it. :-/
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I only got 25 days of sobriety and started to drink because I could." You will always be able to drink alcohol, you can also choose not to.

Its time to take some real action Action.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'm in the same crappy place as act1onpac, i just can't stay stopped. i'm sick of what drink has and is doing to me, why can't i drink like other bloody people? i may manage weeks of being sober then i'll go and ruin it all by gettin wrecked and the most ridiculous thing is i actually believe myself every time i say "i'm only having a few to relax"! x
Old 01-30-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get it act10N - for many many years I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

I wanted to drink, but not have any of the negative consequences.
I wanted to change my life but not actually change anything about my life.

Laster on this week or this month when you feel ill like you did last tiem, I hope you'll remember this thread and come back to it act10N.

I found out I could change my life- but only if I was prepared to change my behaviour.

I know you want to - I hope to make the choice to do that soon

D
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi clairy

I don't know why we can't drink like other people - but I know the best thing I ever did was stop trying to

welcome to SR

D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm home and they don't sell alcohol at this time which I thought they did. Stop at my brother place and got 4 beers. Drinking it right now but feel nervous about what will happen after a finish that. :-(
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Action, sorry you are so anxious. Alcohol causes it though and makes it worse if you already are anxious to begin with.

My last drunk was not so long ago (I am approaching 90 days) and I have stopped, gotten 3-5 months sober over and over because I thought I could drink normally. I tried so hard, but once I took that first drink, all bets were off. I could not contain the drunk to one DAY. It spilled into other days. I accept that I cannot drink and it is a relief.

Anyway, my last drunk was much like yours is now. Desperately wanting to stop but thinking I could not. The anxiety and terror was off the charts and I kept on drinking beer after beer and it still would not go away.

Get off of the roller coaster. I can PROMISE you that you will feel better sober.

Get to a detox if you need to. Then start working a program- with a therapist, SMART, AA- whatever.

I empathize with what you are feeling and implore you to take action.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Im sorry to hear that you relapsed, but unforunately it happens to all of us at least once. If you are really serious about quitting one of the best things you can do is to fill up your schedule and stay completely busy so that you do not have time to think about beer
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you stopped and asked yourself what you get out of drinking? It sounds like nothing good.

Why don't you just quit? Put the beer down and pour it all out. Wake up tomorrow and do whatever it takes to stay sober. Find someone to help you. Look into AA. Peruse these forums and find out what has worked for people on here.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its a inside job. We cannot keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. We have to do some work here and its not easy. But there is a whole brand new life out there waiting for you. But you have to want it and be willing to do some changing. We are here to support you and maybe like the other posts suggested you should think about a detox. I know for me when I had made that decision to stop I went after recovery like a freight train.And I am not going to sit here and tell you it was easy because it wasn't. It took some work on my part and the willingness to change my old behaviors and actions.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

maybe you haven't suffered enough. it took every ounce of my suffering to become willing to do whatever it took to get recovery working in my life. then i had to do the work. anybody can do it but they have to be willing.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

'I had 4 beers to calm myself down. Well, I'm out of it and want to drink more. I will not be able to sleep until I start drinking it.'

I wonder how much wanting has to do with it. You did decide to have a few to calm down, but when you did decide to have the 4 cans I doubt if it was part of the plan to go out in the cold at 4am and wind up begging beers off your brother in the middle of the night. No one wants to do those kinds of things but we do whatever we have to do once we've set off the craving.

If you can see that then you can understand more about what you're dealing with. A normal drinker would stop when the beer was gone and never feel the compulsion that drove your actions tonight. The booze was calling the shots and you had no choice but to obey. It's how a lot of us get popped for drunk driving, not having enough and needing to finish it out despite the very possible dire consequences.

Our need outweighs any reasonable thought in the matter.

You want to quit for good, I know. You would have if that were possible for you to carry through on, under your own steam. You can't seem to decide and then make it stick.

Make a real effort to get the amount of help you need to succeed. Your efforts to this point have been insufficient, so double up or triple up. Inconvenience yourself to a far greater degree than you have before. Forget wishes, promises and firm decisions and instead put some action into this. Show up regularly and often anywhere your desire for lasting sobriety will be supported.

Perhaps your feet will be smarter than your head has been.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NAIOU

9 times out of 10 the alcohol always wins. It is more powerful than you are and it will tell you what to do. Try and get some help with this problem. You can not do this alone. If you do what you have always done you will get what you have always gotten. Pain and misery. Hoping the best for you. Love and Respect. logo
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Most people come back saying it wasn't that good of a buz. back to day one action
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dont give up action. Start fresh tomorrow. Good luck.