Notices

Rehab Counsler advises me to drink???

Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Question Rehab Counsler advises me to drink???

So, my job is sending me to rehab here in the very near future. I called last night, I hadn't had a drink, and I wasn't intending to have one. She asked me what withdrawal symptoms i was experiencing while I was speaking to her and I told her, you know...the usual, shaking, cold sweat, anxiety. Then She preceded to ask me how much I drank and my height weight ratio, I told her 20-24 beers a night and I am 5'3 135lbs. For some reason, she told me that what was going to come out of her mouth was very strange. "I thought ok, can't be THAT strange" She then tells me to crack open a beer and drink as many as I have been until I could seek treatment so I dont have a seizure or go into cardiac arrest. I NEED to quit now. Not wait. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? As always, I appriciate the support.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone on this forum had the same experience with a rehab place over the phone. They told him to keep drinking until the pick him up. When I went to a recovery place which I didn't go to. They told me that it was okay to quit cold turkey and I didn't have to cut down until not drinking anymore. If they say that need go do that I guess. Never drank 20 to 24 beers a night so I can't give you much information about that anyway. Talk to a different person at the rehab or try to talk to a doctor about this.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcohol detox can be deadly. To just abruptly stop without a doctor's care can very well cause stroke or seizure. While I don't know if drinking your normal amount is advisable, chances are once you crack one open, you'd do that anyway. I can see the wisdom in what she advised, but I don't know if it's common or not.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was advised to do that once, I couldn't get into a detox unit until the next day. I think it is rare, but I think a 135 lb woman that drinks 24 beers a day is pretty rare too. I drank 20 drinks a day, but I weight 250 lbs and am male (yes that is an advantage even if we weighed the same).

NIAAA Publications

So I'd go with it until you can get proper medical care.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Alcohol detox can be deadly. To just abruptly stop without a doctor's care can very well cause stroke or seizure.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Do your own internet search. I would slow the drinking, but not go cold turkey. Again, do an internet search. What's it say?

So many variables, but your body Expects and Relies on alcohol.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You drink like I did buddy, like a mad dog. Alcohol detox is deadly. Even with detox meds my blood pressure soared into the 200's for multiple days...during all of my medical detoxes...yes...I had multiple...the last one was unsupervised in jail...Grace carried me through that one. btw-none of them would be classified in the "fun" category of my life events.

This one can be your only one if you are willing to follow those precise directions. Then you never have to worry about relapse again.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Yeah you really shouldn't quit CT drinking that much. I don't think she gave you bad advice really. Not that I'm telling you to drink, either really but I DO think detoxing safely is essential with that level of dependence.

Personally I cut down over a few days ('tapering') but most people are not successful at that for obvious reasons.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ETA

How long has it been since you had a drink? It sounds like you already quit cold turkey.

I don't think it's wise to drink 20-24 beers / night - that will most likely keep giving you problems at work/life...
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, they originally thought that Amy Weinhouse died from alcohol withdrawl (she didn't but that's what her family assumed at first). I have heard that just stopping can be deadly in some cases. I would definitely call back and get a doctor on the phone.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I was on the phone with her last night, and I had about a 12 pack. It seemed to be enough to help me get to sleep. I think I might just get a family member to moniter my alcohol for me, even though deep down I know that when I get deperate I will probably fight them for it. I am just ready to go get this rehab thing done.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I think that was good advice to drink 12 and not 24 beers. Quitting cold turkey is very dangerous, but slowly tapering works until you get to rehab. Remember to keep eating as you need your vitamins and minerals.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I just wish this could be easier. I wish I could just stop and not have to worry about these health consequences. I watched a series on youtube last night that frightened me. I am ready to quit. I actually WANT to, for once, and I cant get the medical resources because I just dont have the money. Its just stressful.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I hear the salvation army offers free detox! Maybe give them a call?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Yes, definitely. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

When I was done it felt like a relief to quit. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I am commited now, I refuse to give up. Just hard to picture not having a beer in my hand at all times, except for at work.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am female too .. and at my worst drank about 1.5 quarts (fifths) of rum or vodka every 24-hours, around the clock.... So, kind of similar in amount to you maybe. Do you only drink in the night? I couldn't go more than a couple of hours before my body would start to withdraw. I even woke through the night to keep it in me. (Sad, huh.)

Anyway, I can definitely see why the counsellor told you not to stop drinking. It could kill you. As others mentioned, start with cutting back ... very slowly - because as far as your body is concerned right now, it needs alcohol to function .. be careful ... and be sure to listen to your body very closely. Drink lots of water, go for walks, eat, take your vitamins, and taper down slowly over a period of days - as many and as long as it takes. It helps to have support while you do this - preferrably someone right there with you ... And be ready to get medical attention at a moment's notice, the second you think you might need it.

Hope you get into detox / rehab very soon. Good for you for wanting this. Be proud of yourself for that! All the best.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Agreed about the cold turkey, but cutting back seems like good advice.

I also would say that the Salvation Army offers free rehab to anyone who wants it.

This is the contact info:

2228 Broadway St
Galveston, TX 77550-4640, United States
(409) 763-1691
Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I really was hoping your job would get you into rehab faster since they're wanting to help you, it's sad that they need to wait a month for you to get the professional help that you're needing right now. I've been following your posts lately and it really does seem like you were doing really well but sobering up safely is going to make it worth the wait. Your determination to quit alcohol is amazing and I really do hope you keep it up.

I too would share your frustration if I was told to go back to the item that I quit on my own power but life is too precious to be lost when you're over-determined and it poses a severe health risk.

Stay safe and keep us updated.