Notices

Rehab Counsler advises me to drink???

Old 10-21-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow! Thats pretty tense. Must be scary to have to drink before getting help knowing you might get very dangerous withdrawals if you stop drinking! Everyone has their limits but I never really reached cold sweats only aniexty and small shakes. I'm glad I stopped in time because I was reaching complete darkness where I couldn't seem to stop drinking. Good luck with getting help you've come to the right place!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well abruptly stopping that much drinking could be pretty serious. The quite a few units a day.

I know I taper when I see the binge has to end but then when its quit day , off to my docs and get a check of BP , pulse , sheet for blood work to be done after the worst of withdrawal and meds. I dislike the withdrawal while I am reducing but from a cold turkey episode I did , I won't do that again as that kind of agony was totally foolish and unnecessarily painful. That my Doc did indicate was pretty foolish and to quit the denial and just go and see her , but take a cab of course if I am/havebeen drinking.

My doc does not scold me , look down on me , just encourages me to get back on the right track again and use any and all support I can. Luckily my GP does view this as a medical issue and illness.

I sure hope they can speed things up for your rehab and there they should actually do a medical detox where they scan monitor your blood pressure , pulse , and the like.

Getting someone to check in on you is a good idea in case some serious stuff does come up. I have family and they watch me

Sending good thought syour way , this is tough stuff and we are all pulling for each other here.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

To go from 24 beers a night to 0 is pretty drastic. I think the advice to drink some beer until you can get medical treatment in rehab is ok. Going cold turkey your blood pressure is likely to soar, and the possibility of a stroke or seizure exists.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

My sincere thanks.

I will get professional medical advice when I can afford it, its just, honestly, keeping up my addiction and paying for a rehab assesment is not possible. I just got the bad news from work. they WILL NOT pay for my rehab and thats really a let down. I guess I will be taking measures into my own hands, and to be completely honest, I am terrified. I will try the taper method, but I get so irritated when I un out of beer, especially if I know it is there, I know I will end up abusing my husband out of anger from withdrawl. Thanks Anna, for the advice about Salvation Army. I really appriciate it. And my sincere gratitude goes out to all of you for continued support. I will keep y'all updated.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to get into some programme as soon as possible, Dominica, or at least get some professional medical advice

here a link to some free or low cost clinics - there's a few in your area:
http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf

Maybe also follow up on the info Anna posted - at least check it out?

D
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I am definitely on top of it Dee, Thanks so much.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Since rehab is no longer an option, you don't have to wait for your admittance date. That means you can quit drinking now. You can go to the ER at your local hospital and tell them that you are trying to detox from alcohol.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes if you go to your ER they have to treat you. I stayed for 4 days, uninsured, they sent me a bill. I paid $400 per month on it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

How much does that usually cost? I am already in debt with the local hospital?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dominica - one thing I didn't say in my post above is that I detoxed and quit by myself, alone .. no counselling, no meds, no help ... I didn't want anyone to know (stupid maybe - and thankful to be alive after landing in the hospital with jaundice - and even then I didn't tell, and suffered in silence .. I had tapered back a bit before then .. not by choice, but my body was rejecting everything .. it was horrid).

Anyway, my point is - don't be afraid if you have to tackle this on your own. Yes, it's MUCH better (smarter) with med help and counselling if you can do it, and I hope you can find something affordable or free ... BUT if you can't for whatever reason, it doesn't mean you can't do this ... smartly ... on your own, and with help from your partner/family/friends. Ask questions, do your research.. Make a plan and talk it out, and listen to your body carefully.

P.s... bubble baths are awesome while detoxing .. it's like they suck the toxins right out of your pores ..... I kid you not .. Do not under-estimate the power of the bubble bath!

Good luck - you can do this.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

switchboard, thank you. I could probably start to ween of of it tonight, and continue. I just dont want it to take too long. I am soo over all these struggles. I have already noticed a slight yellowing of my eyes, and thank you for sharing. I dont want to die from this disease. It kills me at the thought of my daughter growing up without me. I want grandbabies. It seems that I will have to do this on my own, and I am sure I can handle it. Thanks again. **HUGS**
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

*Hugs* to you too .. I have 2 daughters. No grandkids - yet! But I am going to be sober and trusted to look after them when the time comes - a promise I made to myself.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I keep trying to pump myself up for recovery, I am not gonna lie, it feels like the wall of China, and I seem to be on both sides of the wall. I will make it through it. I am commited. Thanks for continued comforting words.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

We can try together

OMG, are you me??? But, I did lose my marriage and still drink the same way, daily, and yes, beer, but not at work. I feel lost, lonely, sick and tired and sick and tired of being sick and tired and yet, I can't control it. I have been in the hospital for anxiety, only to find out it was withdrawal.

I went to AA, but for some reason, I just don't F*(^* get it.....It seems so easy for them, like one day, it just appeared that they needed to stop and with the support they did. It's not EASY.

I don't have answers for you, sweetie, but I can honestly tell you, I know what you are going through.

Hang in there and maybe we can inspire eachother so we get healthy.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

P.s.. yellowing of your eyes is a big deal - mine started in the corners .. just a hint at first .. I almost got used to it, brushed it off .. by the time I was vomiting all the time and had to go to the hospital, there was no white at all .. my eyes were orange-yellow all over, almost glowing. Same with my skin. It didn't take long for it to progress from a hint in my eyes but feeling relatively ok.. to all h*ll breaking loose. Keep an eye .. on your eyes.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tammy

I don't know that any of us found it easy...but it is easier with support, I think
Good to have you with us

D
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

@ Tammy, girl I am doing this daily and I honestly feel as though I am dying more every day. (literally). All I know is I am DONE. I cant stand it any longer. I am very glad you are here :o) support is always fantastic!

@ switch, that is the main reason I need to quit. I dont want to turn into Amy winehouse! I am only 25 and feel twice the age.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Dominica, I've been to several rehabs ranging from state funded to luxury....and I can tell you that each and every one took patients who could not pay. If you know of a rehab in your area, call and tell them of your financial situation and see if they will help you anyway.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
~sb

I have to add this. DAILY alcohol consumption can be hard on a body if stopped abruptly. That's why medical help is needed.

Tapering properly should take longer than a few days. Again, seek proper medical help.

Not up for debate. Do an internet search and read about it. Everyone is different, so many variables involved, even if you think you're healthy.

Best wishes!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeah i have heard that lots of times and the rehab i went to said the same thing, better to detox whilst medical help and support is around than alone...