What color is kroger blue mint mouth rinse supposed to be?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What color is kroger blue mint mouth rinse supposed to be?

Why is my AW's "blue" mouth rinse a pale green? Has she been watering it down with vodka? I tasted it but i can't tell for sure. I can't find a picture of it online. I can't easily get to the store because of a newborn baby. That is obsessive to go the whole way to the store to see what color the mouthwash is...I know it won't change anything, there could be liquid f'n crack or pure mouthrinse in that bottle and it wouldn't change anything,

She has agreed to go to some counseling this Thursday, but we have been down this road before. Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I know there are no easy answers...except for the big D, and I don't mean Dallas. FML
Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

another big D is DEATH from drinking mouthwash...check out the consequences from this. with a newborn in the house, why wouldn't you check everything twice?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If this is a mouthwash with alcohol in it - and most of them do - there is a good chance that she is drinking it in copious amounts - and perhaps by mistake - or in desperation, is refilling it with a green mouthwash, hoping you won't notice how quickly it is disappearing.

Mouthwash is known as a cheap drunk ... also it is one of the many tricks used to hide their drinking. Just step into the bathroom and for some reason come out smelling all minty?!?

My AH drank this stuff for years, all while telling me to my face how great he was because he wasn’t drinking anymore and how grateful I should be. I was about 95% sure he was not using mouthwash in accordance to the recommended usage, not by a long shot.

Well, at least he had minty fresh breath instead of ‘beer breath’ for a while.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Drinking mouthwash can be deadly. The husband of one of the posters here died from it and that is what was put on the death certificate. If she has reached the point where she is drinking mouthwash, simple counseling isn't going to be much help. She needs to see a doctor to determine if any damage has been done, then she could probably benefit from at least a 90 day rehab. Of course, all of this is moot if she isn't willing to get help.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As kindly as I can, I will encourage you to step away from the addict.
You don't trust her. She drinks and hides it, it seems.
Let you pull back enough to find some peace.
You know what you need to know.
More will be revealed.
Take care of you (and that little 'un).
fp
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She's drinking while you're taking care of the infant? Not a good sign. How is she when she takes care of the baby?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello singer,

Welcome to SR!

To the best of my recollection, it's bright blue.....like something you would see offered at a Klingon wedding.....

Hugs and prayers for both you and your AW.

HG
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Well you have my sincere condolences. Caring for a new born with an alcoholic wife must be so horribly stressful.

Is she breast feeding the baby? I would think that would not be good, considering her advanced alcoholism, based on your description here.

Can you get to al-anon meetings for support?

Prayers for your family.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I know drinking it is dangerous. I didn't know you could die from it. She has had problems drinking it in the past...when she is "trying" to stay sober, (not going and buying real alcohol) she drinks it. But lately she may be doing a bit of both.

She has been in and out of rehab a couple of times, she says it "doesn't work for her" She managed to only drink every once in a while, while pregnant, but once she had the baby, she is beginning to slip more.

She is taking care of the baby during the day, her family and I are keeping an eye on things, but obviously the situation is less than ideal. Thank you for your concern.

Our counselling session on Thursday is together, and with our former minister. She won't talk to the current minister due to the embarrassment factor. She and I really respected the former minister, and this will be our first counselling session together. So I am hoping this approach will get some results.

I checked and she has a large bottle of original Listerine colored under the sink, she must be refilling that other bottle with it. I discretely marked the levels on the bottles so I can check them. I told her I suspected she was drinking yesterday, but she said she was just "tired" which could be legitimate with the baby's hours and all...but generally we all know what sober looks like. She won't admit it unless caught red handed.

We have a breathalyzer in the car, so at least we know she isn't driving drunk anywhere with the baby. And she seems to understand that she can't breast feed while intoxicated...yes less than ideal.

Thanks for listening. It is nice to a have a place to vent. I feel like if I told all this to any normal person they would just think I was an Idiot for getting involved in a situation like this. Well maybe I am.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by singerofsadsong View Post
Our counselling session on Thursday is together, and with our former minister. She won't talk to the current minister due to the embarrassment factor. She and I really respected the former minister, and this will be our first counselling session together. So I am hoping this approach will get some results.
I wouldn't go in with any expectations, including that the counseling may have an impact on her. It's a surefire recipe for disappointment. I speak from experience.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope someone would be monitoring her care of the baby while she is drinking...seriously, mouthwash will kill her, maybe she should be told about that??

if she is not going to stop drinking anyway, she should not hide it from you, just for the sake of the care of your child. She cared enough about the baby to not drink while pregnant....maybe she will focus more on that for recovery.

I don't think you are crazy, but you are definitely between a rock and a hard place.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by singerofsadsong View Post
She is taking care of the baby during the day, her family and I are keeping an eye on things, but obviously the situation is less than ideal.
Big *HUGE* friggin red flag here. An alcoholic who isn't anywhere near recovery, and who is "trying" not to drink, has the care of an infant all day? This isn't just "less than ideal". This is dangerous. Your child could be injured, or worse, while in her care. IMO, it's time to look at babysitting alternatives until she has been in recovery for at least 6 months. Yes, it will royally suck, and yes, she may have to get embarassed, but what's more important, her ego or the well-being of your child?

Sorry to rant a bit here. This issue is my trigger. I refuse to place anyone else before my child.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Maybe she can be encouraged into rehab. At the end of my drinking, I was doing the mouthwash about twice a week. It has done a number on my health and while I was drinking the stuff, my mind was not right either. Add to that, I was unable to eat, I was eliminating blood (sorry if TMI) but somehow in total denial of those facts. The mouthwash caused candida and also robbed me of essential nutrients.

By the time I got to rehab, they had to send me back out to the hospital for a blood transfusion because I'd become so anemic. The staff at the hospital didn't know how I was still conscious given how low my levels were. If I'd waited any longer to go to rehab, I'd be dead by now because I had no idea how grave my condition was at the time. I was in serious denial. Despite all evidence to the contrary, I just kept thinking I could quit drinking on my own. I am so grateful that I got help when I did.

I have two young kids who need a completely sober mother. They have had that for two solid years so far. I get help with AA, regular health checkups and lots of counseling.

I don't mean to scare you, but mouthwash drinking is hardcore and I lied to my husband's face about abusing it.

Much love.

ETA: I just remembered that I actually used food coloring sometimes when I replaced the mouthwash with water. So clever. So horrifying. Also, I drank the vanilla extract (and other extracts). Now I buy mouthwash with zero alcohol and I make cookies using the pre-made dough.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't want to sound ignorant, but what are the effects of mouthwash to the body? Does it upset your stomach? Make you puke? All of the above?

In the weeks before I kicked the ABF out he would get a new bottle at least once a week. I assumed it was to hide the smell on this breath (he was slinking off to the garage to nip his Beam stash) so I would not know how much he was drinking. Now I am thinking maybe he was drinking the mouthwash?? He was certainly sick all the time, and nauseous. Again, I assumed it was the 1//2 gallon of Beam he sucked down the night before.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
Now I buy mouthwash with zero alcohol and I make cookies using the pre-made dough.
I've found alcohol free alternatives for just about everything including vanilla extract and cooking wines.

I thought I was going to lose a lot of recipes when I threw out all the booze but the substitutes aren't bad and after a while I can't tell the difference.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

there are many articles which explain the chemical composition of mouthwash vs. drinking alcohol and why its so dangerous to ingest it. (I'm not sure that they can be copied to here so i did not copy a link. I did not see anything about the candida virus that bella mentioned, but I am assuming it was oral thrush (which is very painful on it's own).
Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

@transformyself

Her mom and I have made it very clear to her that we will take the baby away from her if she tried to breastfeed while or after drinking. She has done it once already that I know of. I can not really get to al-anon meetings right now. I had laid off my "treatment" for a while when she seemed to be getting better during pregnancy. (she did drink a couple of times while pregnant though) Evenings at home are my only time with the baby. I will look to see if there is some online stuff on here I Can do.

@Freedom1990

Dang, you are right. I was getting my hopes up a bit, but with her track record of accepting counselling, realistically I know there is a better chance of it not working this time than working. So is there any hope for people like me, or are we doomed to play second fiddle to our partners disease for life?

@Fandy

Her mom and I are doing the best we can to monitor her. But basically it is me coming home from work to see if she is acting like she has been drinking, then us getting into a fight If I say she has. I am prepared to take the baby a way from her while she is drinking. Right now it is about 1 day a week, but with her track record it will get gradually worse.

@nodaybut2day

I understand your rant. Her mother and I will be looking at babysitting alternatives if things progress any farther. The last time she went for 6 months without drinking was the last time she was in rehab...she drank as soon as she got out at 9 months. Each time she went to rehab she "voluntarily" went but it was at extreme pressure from a judge or her family. As she won't even go to AA, I can't see her going back to rehab. And we arn't going to pay for any more of it when she doesn't try. Trying to reason with her about treatment is like trying to argue with a brick wall. If I mention just going to a meeting, or calling a sponsor, it starts a 2 day fight. I now refuse to fight with her, it is pointless. If logic, reason, and fair play are not concepts she understands, I can not hold a critical discussion with her. Plus I'll end up loosing my temper, and then I feel like the *******.

@bellakeller

Thank you for sharing your story. That is great that you are doing so well, and it gives me some hope for my wife (sorry Freedom1990). I will continue to monitor the mouthwash situation (yesterday's check it was still at normal levels, and I had no behavioral indicators of her drinking). I had no idea it was as serious as you describe. If I find her drinking it I am going to tell her how bad it is, and that I would rather her just drink her straight vodka than kill herself with that. Also If I do detect she is drinking it we will start getting the non alcohol version. We were getting this version, but after she had some $15,000 dental work (dual addiction with substances and bulimia) the dentist recommended the real stuff. But all that work should be healed up by now, so I will talk to her about switching back.

I appreciate everyone's input. But when you tell me what "she should" do, you are basically preaching to the choir. It doesn't matter if you me and her family know what she should do. If we tell her what she should do she will rage on us and tell her us trying to control her is what makes her drink, say she wants a divorce, give the silent treatment, .... How can you reason with that? I need a meeting.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You cannot reason with an unreasonable person...especially an addict.

I agree, get to a meeting!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

She's been through rehab so she has been given the tools to stay sober, yet chooses not to do so.

It's a miserable way to live, you checking the mouthwash levels, the arguing, etc.

This may be as good as it ever gets, and continue to spiral downward from here on out.

Is this the way you want to live the rest of your life?

I had to walk away from my EXAH for my own sanity/safety. It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

I had a 8-year-old daughter at the time.

You are the only voice that little baby has, my friend.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you have some family support too. go ahead and vent...and I can't count the number of times posting has saved my sanity (just look at my posting numbers, lol)