Notices

I.R.S., Hospital Bills, and Alcohol

Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I.R.S., Hospital Bills, and Alcohol

Just finished working out a payment plan to IRS for past income tax due. Was kinda bummed out as I was just finishing paying off hospital bills encurred during my drinking career, when it came to me that the amount of my monthly payments was still significantly less than what I had been paying per month for booze and all of its co-occurent benefits--divorce, loss of job, poor health, low self-esteem, dis-eased feelings and emotions, etc. Life, for all its hills and valleys, is so freaking awesome.

"Since everything is but an illusion,
Perfect in being what it is,
Having nothing to do with good or bad,
Acceptance or rejection,
One might as well burst out laughing!"

- Longchen Rabjam (1308-1363)

Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope my finances will get stable enough to pay off all of my hospital bills, massive car insurance due to two accidents, credit card bills. All due to alcohol. Baby steps I guess. I do know that I am spending a whole lot less a week then I used to.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great attitude you have, Mycool. No point in letting regret & remorse pull us back down into misery. I did that for awhile & it kept me from healing.

It's amazing to me how irresponsible I became. I too had unpaid taxes that I had every intention of taking care of, but somehow years went by without me fixing it. A threatened wage attachment was my wakeup call. So ridiculous for someone like me, who always tried to be a stand up citizen. That's what alcohol does - turns us into people we don't even recognize. Never again! Thanks for another helpful post.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Just finished working out a payment plan to IRS for past income tax due. Was kinda bummed out
I put off paying back my IRS debt for 5 years because I thought of them as "Unworthy" of an amends. By the time I finally got around to making terms for repayment my debt was up to $20,000 with late fee's. I had a big resentment about it, but decided to "detach from the outcome".

After paying them back about $3,000, they sent me a letter saying "Debt Canceled". I don't know what happened exactly, but they determined I was too poor and/or old to ever repay them, so they cut me some slack.

Now I believe in miracles.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I put off paying back my IRS debt for 5 years because I thought of them as "Unworthy" of an amends. By the time I finally got around to making terms for repayment my debt was up to $20,000 with late fee's. I had a big resentment about it, but decided to "detach from the outcome".

After paying them back about $3,000, they sent me a letter saying "Debt Canceled". I don't know what happened exactly, but they determined I was too poor and/or old to ever repay them, so they cut me some slack.

Now I believe in miracles.
That IS a miracle. Talk about second chances.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Possibly the most depressing title for a thread EVER!

I'm happy to see your positive attitude; it's really inspiring.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks from me too Fitz

D
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

My step next week- irs appointment! Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
My step next week- irs appointment! Thanks!!
As they say, IRS happens. Best wishes and don't mention me.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on setting things straight.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I hear you! My bf, who recently got clean, just sent his last interest check to the IRS. I ma, somehow, paying off my dr and ambulance bills from my recent overdose. Somehow, by doing it...I'm doing it. All those things I "used" to avoid facing, I'm facing, and somehow keeping my head above water. Who knew!

I do what I can, and rest in my bed at night knowing I faced the day and did what I could. And when I get totally wigged out, I do what I read somewhere..."imagine what a hopeful person would do in this situation, then try it"

by golly! Living like a hopeful person, even when I'm low on hope, beats living like a hopeless addict. Some days I even start thinking I might have some hope!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I'm getting all my IOU's together... scary stuff but glad to be sober while figuring this out. Being drunk, I didn't care less. In fact I forgot I had to pay the IRS $20k this year cause I was on a binge during tax time.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ever hear the song, "I hate taxes" by Robert Cray ??
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I do what I can, and rest in my bed at night knowing I faced the day and did what I could. And when I get totally wigged out, I do what I read somewhere..."imagine what a hopeful person would do in this situation, then try it"
Thank you so much Threshold! This is exactly what I needed!