Notices

Withdrawing from alcohol

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawing from alcohol

Hello everyone. I am going through the toughest time in my life withdrawing from alcohol.
I have withdrawn once before back in 2009 but I later thought that was a one time deal and I went back to drinking. But now, this time is MUCH tougher and it seems like it will never end. I stopped drinking beer (almost every night) on 8/3/11. I have been cutting back before that date too and was already getting panic attacks from the days where I did not drink.

On 8/5/11, I thought I was going to die. I was having a major anxiety panic attack. My blood sugar levels and GABA levels were completely out of wack from 20 years of beer drinking. My doctor called me out some Librium and that seems to be the only thing helping me right now from these stupid panic attacks.

This is the ONLY time in my life where I can honestly say that I am done with alcohol. As I get older the panic episodes from withdrawal are worse and worse. I KNOW that I am through and haven't touched beer since 8/3/11 and I will never go back. I have done a lot of research on neurobiology now and how alcohol has completely messed up my GABA and serotonin.

I guess I just need to talk to some people here who have been through withdrawals like this. I'm starting to think that this withdrawal state is the new me and these withdrawal symptoms will NEVER end.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey withdrawing, welcome.

I think everyone is different. Major alkie here for almost three decades, no tapering. First day was BRUTAL, second day a LOT better, by third day I felt great, and have since. Had a couple of bad "mental" days, but physically I've had no issues.

Again, we're all different, in so many ways, I'm sure you'll be feeling good soon enough. Hang in there and keep posting.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and I appreciate your thread and the effort and suffering you are going through as you begin your recovery process. I'm glad you've got your doctor involved. Withdrawal is a Hell I shall never put myself through again. After 45 years of drinking detoxing went from bad to near fatal. Just know it and you will only get better. Look forward to your progress reports.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks MycoolFitz. 45 years, wow. I've been at it for 20 years. It's nice to hear from someone like you who has gotten through the withdrawals. Do you remember how long it took for your blood sugar to get normal again? I cannot stand waking up every morning with my adrenaline pumping because my brain is running low on glucose.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I experienced dreadful anxiety too when I stopped drinking, but it did get better over time, and I learned to live with it to some degree.

None of us are able to give any kind of medical advice. If you're concerned about your blood suger, you should definitely get your dr to check it for you because alcohol can obscure a lot of other physical issues that are going on.

I hope you start to feel better.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can't remember, it was a blur. I did go back to my doctor about 10 days into sobriety and had a blood panel drawn and other tests--liver, diabetes, etc. All copacetic, amazingly. I'm doing great now. When in doubt or real fear, check back with your physician, it is just as significant and valid as any other health concern.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, withdrawing -

Sorry to hear about your experience - I hope it improves soon.....

I've read a lot of articles that say it can take up to a year or more for our bodies/brains to recover, but it should be improving steadily. Knowing my history of depression, I started seeing a psychiatrist right away and that has helped me stay in recovery.

I'm sure others will respond that can relate to what you're going through. Here's a link to what some members have experienced:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Congratulations for getting sober!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for that kink, artsoul. I will read through that.

thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to the anxiety. For me it was, without doubt, one of the toughest parts about withdrawing from alcohol. For me it was because the other withdrawal symptoms like night sweats and tremors scared me (because I knew it was withdrawal) and that just added fuel to the anxiety fire.
I wish I could say something particular helped... But it was really just time, help from a doctor and alcohol/addiction counseling
Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting posts on that link. I really can't understand the ones where by day 5 they were good to go. I guess everyone is different and have been drinking for different periods of time. For me, I am on day 19 and the withdrawals are not good at all. There are good days and bad. This is one of the bad days. For me, it's the high anxiety that is driving me crazy.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'd say it's time to see a medical professional.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

You have 2 days! Awesome! Stick with your doctor. Everyone is different. Give yourself time.....
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Sorry! I misread this. Have you gone to AA?

Miracles do happen!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You have 2 days! Awesome!
I have been sober for 19 days now. There is no way I am ever going through this again. In a way, it's kind of good that it is lasting this long. I will NEVER forget this awful time that I am having withdrawing.

I can't do AA. They are religious. I feel better just talking with people here who have been through the same thing I'm going through.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

From the Foreward to 'Came to Believe'

"The description of Alcoholics Anonymous as 'a spiritual program' has been confusing to some newcomers, many of whom tend to translate 'spiritual' as 'religious.' But, as our cofounder Doctor Bob said (in an A.A. Grapevine article) 'We are not bound by theological doctrine....We are many minds in our organization.'"

AA is NOT religious. No one requires you to do or to believe in anything you disagree with.

I've witnessed miraculous things in 25 years of experience. I have 98 days today. AA took my anxiety, etc away. Just my experience. Listen to some speakers on xa speakers.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Please excuse my miscount, this phone is small & eye doctor appointment is next week. 19 days is great!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

My Athiest friend has12 years of sobriety. He sponsors a man who now has 4 years of sobriety. This man with 4 years is a practicing priest in his church.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No prob, sugarbear. Yeah, it's been 19 days now and it's also the first time in my life where I can actually see myself sober for the rest of my life. Even the first time that I went through w/d back in 2009 I didn't imagine that I would spend the rest of my life sober. Being sober is something that I have wanted for a long time and this w/d is the catalyst to start that new way of living at my age now of 42. I am learning the hard way that w/d gets harder and harder as you get older.

My Athiest friend has12 years of sobriety. He sponsors a man who now has 4 years of sobriety. This man with 4 years is a practicing priest in his church.
Interesting. Yes, I am an atheist too. I have been for many, many years. I've never been to AA but it really seems kind of religious to me.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Feeling and thoughts change. Your body is changing. It's still getting used to sobriety. We have a body-brain situation. The brain creates a desire, real or false so our body can consume massive quantities of alcohol. We tolerate alcohol unlike a typical person (who can take it or leave it)...a vicious cycle.

Breaking the drinking gets easier over time. Stick with your doctor. I suggest finding support along with SR (here)...many programs are available.

Today I do sober activities with sober people. I can even remember the fun! Lots of fun people to hang with!!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Withdrawing. Detoxing is way different from person to person but I can tell you it was a good 2 months before I felt okay more than not. I was sober for 90 days, had a slip up for one day and then started my time over - I didn't go through withdraw again though.

I did have to go to my doctor too due to irritability and anxiety. I went through a bit of Psych testing and learned that I do need some medication for a mood disorder. This is just me though. Bottom line is what came first the mood issue or the alcohol. No need for me to ponder anymore but sometimes there is some truth to the "self medicating" theory.

If you are having anxiety after 19 days it may be worth a trip to an evaluation by a professional. Just my 2 cents. I'm glad you are here though!!!!