SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I.R.S., Hospital Bills, and Alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/234667-i-r-s-hospital-bills-alcohol.html)

MycoolFitz 08-21-2011 08:28 AM

I.R.S., Hospital Bills, and Alcohol

Just finished working out a payment plan to IRS for past income tax due. Was kinda bummed out as I was just finishing paying off hospital bills encurred during my drinking career, when it came to me that the amount of my monthly payments was still significantly less than what I had been paying per month for booze and all of its co-occurent benefits--divorce, loss of job, poor health, low self-esteem, dis-eased feelings and emotions, etc. Life, for all its hills and valleys, is so freaking awesome.

"Since everything is but an illusion,
Perfect in being what it is,
Having nothing to do with good or bad,
Acceptance or rejection,
One might as well burst out laughing!"

- Longchen Rabjam (1308-1363)

:c011:

ajangel 08-21-2011 09:00 AM

I hope my finances will get stable enough to pay off all of my hospital bills, massive car insurance due to two accidents, credit card bills. All due to alcohol. Baby steps I guess. I do know that I am spending a whole lot less a week then I used to.

Hevyn 08-21-2011 09:26 AM

Great attitude you have, Mycool. No point in letting regret & remorse pull us back down into misery. I did that for awhile & it kept me from healing.

It's amazing to me how irresponsible I became. I too had unpaid taxes that I had every intention of taking care of, but somehow years went by without me fixing it. A threatened wage attachment was my wakeup call. So ridiculous for someone like me, who always tried to be a stand up citizen. That's what alcohol does - turns us into people we don't even recognize. Never again! Thanks for another helpful post.

Boleo 08-21-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz (Post 3078704)
Just finished working out a payment plan to IRS for past income tax due. Was kinda bummed out

I put off paying back my IRS debt for 5 years because I thought of them as "Unworthy" of an amends. By the time I finally got around to making terms for repayment my debt was up to $20,000 with late fee's. I had a big resentment about it, but decided to "detach from the outcome".

After paying them back about $3,000, they sent me a letter saying "Debt Canceled". I don't know what happened exactly, but they determined I was too poor and/or old to ever repay them, so they cut me some slack.

Now I believe in miracles.

ajangel 08-21-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boleo (Post 3078760)
I put off paying back my IRS debt for 5 years because I thought of them as "Unworthy" of an amends. By the time I finally got around to making terms for repayment my debt was up to $20,000 with late fee's. I had a big resentment about it, but decided to "detach from the outcome".

After paying them back about $3,000, they sent me a letter saying "Debt Canceled". I don't know what happened exactly, but they determined I was too poor and/or old to ever repay them, so they cut me some slack.

Now I believe in miracles.

:c029: That IS a miracle. Talk about second chances.

eJoshua 08-21-2011 12:28 PM

Possibly the most depressing title for a thread EVER! :D

I'm happy to see your positive attitude; it's really inspiring.

Dee74 08-21-2011 04:00 PM

thanks from me too Fitz :)

D

sugarbear1 08-21-2011 04:21 PM

My step next week- irs appointment! Thanks!!

MycoolFitz 08-21-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3079117)
My step next week- irs appointment! Thanks!!

As they say, IRS happens. Best wishes and don't mention me.:gaah

Anna 08-21-2011 04:37 PM

I'm glad you're working on setting things straight.

Threshold 08-21-2011 08:02 PM

I hear you! My bf, who recently got clean, just sent his last interest check to the IRS. I ma, somehow, paying off my dr and ambulance bills from my recent overdose. Somehow, by doing it...I'm doing it. All those things I "used" to avoid facing, I'm facing, and somehow keeping my head above water. Who knew!

I do what I can, and rest in my bed at night knowing I faced the day and did what I could. And when I get totally wigged out, I do what I read somewhere..."imagine what a hopeful person would do in this situation, then try it"

by golly! Living like a hopeful person, even when I'm low on hope, beats living like a hopeless addict. Some days I even start thinking I might have some hope!

psilyguy 08-22-2011 12:47 AM

I'm getting all my IOU's together... scary stuff but glad to be sober while figuring this out. Being drunk, I didn't care less. In fact I forgot I had to pay the IRS $20k this year cause I was on a binge during tax time.

725bygrace 08-22-2011 12:40 PM

Ever hear the song, "I hate taxes" by Robert Cray ??

Symmetry 08-22-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Threshold (Post 3079298)
I do what I can, and rest in my bed at night knowing I faced the day and did what I could. And when I get totally wigged out, I do what I read somewhere..."imagine what a hopeful person would do in this situation, then try it"

Thank you so much Threshold! This is exactly what I needed!