Notices

Panic

Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic

So I'm 60 days clean and am still having bits of anxiety. Don't get me wrong, I can tell a big difference from the 1st month. It's just I'll be fine for like 3 to 5 days and then out of no where it hits me all over again.

I had my 1st ever dentist appointment on Friday. I should have went a long time ago, I know. When I got there I was calm, but when they started my root canal I felt like I freaked out. I had them stop and I left with numbed up face and all. When I got home I calmed down and regraded leaving. I wish I would've just got it over with. But my point in all this, is that I've been feeling better until the dentist app. happened. Last night I was so shaky and anxious.

Today I got out and went on a drive. During the drive I had a huge, bad panic attack. Luckily I was at a red light. It was the bad one were you feel out of mind and body, like your losing control, and then it just stops. I know it's panic, but it sucks so bad. It make me scared to drive, when I know I shouldn't let it. I know this is long, but just needed to vent. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the dentist just caused bad panic and got me overly worked up?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi BigGSlim

Congrats on 60 days. Like you said, it's amazing how recovery and sobriety can lessen anxiety.

You wound up in two situations that are renowned panic triggers: dentist offices and driving; because of this, a lot of dentists offer non-addictive, non-narcotic sedatives for you to take before your procedure. The next time you book an appointment, tell your dentist about your anxiety, and see what s/he says.

You should also consider seeing a doctor, as untreated panic attacks are very disabling. I know all about them, I endured several months of uncontrolled panic disorder before I was finally talked into accepting help. My doc refered me to a shrink, who in turn recommened a treatment plan which included medication and a short course of CBT therapy. It worked, I haven't had a panic attack since. This was like 8 years ago.

We're all different, your treatment could be quite different, as there are many approaches available. I urge you to get help, though, as -contrary to popular belief- panic attacks *can* be cured. Please do something about this unnecessary and extreme suffering. See a doctor whom you trust and ask for help as soon as possible.

Keep us posted, okay? Take care.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm getting to the point were I wanna get checked out. I just don't have insurance.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

I know how awful it feels to have anxiety and panic episodes. My ears(eyes?) perked up when you said what happened to you at the dentist's office. I have had to get extensive dental work done in the last few years and I notice that every time they numb up my mouth I feel a strong surge of adrenaline through my body. It makes my hands shake and my whole body feels shaky for a few minutes. The last time I got up to use the restroom and was too shaky to even grab the doorknob! This happened to my husband one time too, where he honestly thought he was having a heart attack their in the dentist's office(and he has no issues with anxiety, at all.) It makes me think it might be a reaction to whatever they use to numb our mouths. It's just a thought, but that might have contributed to your anxiety that day at the dentist. Hang in there. It does get a lot better and you are doing great!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dont have any Magic advice for you bigguyslimm,just keep doing the things that make you Panic. I Face it,Float past it,and Let Time pass.

I still suffer Panic in certain Situations.
Heights
Motor ways
Bridges
Planes
Palpatations
I try and not let it bother me.
I give myself a fist up if I achive Success.
Im getting much better as time goes by.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya I had my dentist work done on Friday morning. I feel like I've been worked up since then. Last Sunday though Friday morning I was fine. Very light anxiety. Then after I left the dentist office I could not calm myself down. It's now Sunday afternoon and I've had 3 panic attacks today.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your panic attacks, BigGSlim, but congrats on making it through your dentist apointiment!

I'm pretty cluess about the way in which the health system works there, hopefully someone will come along shortly and give you some ideas.

Bibliotherapy (reading self-help books) is a very good and underrated resource, maybe you could get a CBT workbook? I know that the "Anxiety for Dummies" books are excellent, both the first book and the workbook, they've helped a couple of people I know.

Keep us posted =)
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try to think positive. We are all nervous about the doctor, it's natural. Try to take it one step at a time like you have. You're doing a good job.

I wonder which state has the best CBT? How does that work?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Sorry you are going through such a struggle. I noticed you said you do not have insurance but are willing to seek help for your anxiety. Have you tried asking at your local YMCA/YWCA? Many times they offer free/reduced cost counseling. Also another good resource is a county/city/state mental health center. You should be able to find it by googling it for your city/county/state. I am not sure which would be applicable for you. I know for me there is a county mental health center that offers reduced/free counseling and medication prescribing with follow up care. You might also try calling your local Red Cross as they may also be able to provide some resources that I am not aware of that are in your area. Hope you find something here that is useful to you. Take care.