Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Went back to Church this morning trying to connect with my spirituality.

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I went to a Catholic Church this morning. One that I sporadically attend but after reading Mary Karrs memoir how she never believed in God or a Higher Power I could connect with how she felt. Once she started attending AA meetings and was coached to continue to pray she realized that things in her life were getting better which she attributed to prayer. Once she started working the program she never picked up again. I used to be very heavily involved in the Church in college I was the Cross bearer I loved it. I also loved working in Campus Ministry I felt a great sense of belonging with the people in the group. I also loved the Priest and Nuns at my Church but after 9/11 and my friend dying all within that same year I gave it all up and lost any faith that I had then turned to self destructive behaviors. Even after reading Life Coach Rhonda Brittens books or blogs which I read for inspiration she states we need faith to get us through life. To be honest, when I was involved in the Church I had faith. I felt this sense of happiness though I still struggled at times with depression. So, I went to Church this morning to pray to help me find some inner peace not turn to alcohol to numb my pain. Maybe i should go every Sunday and reconnect with my spirituality.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great that you are working on your spirituality. I firmly believe in the power of prayer.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Have you ever read "Ninety Minutes In Heaven." Read it if not its amazing its all about the power of prayer its a true story too. The book gave me the chills.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
Have you ever read "Ninety Minutes In Heaven." Read it if not its amazing its all about the power of prayer its a true story too. The book gave me the chills.
I will have to read that. Sounds interesting. I love to read those types of books. And they have it on Kindle.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Praying saved my life. I am also catholic. I began to pray daily (morning and evening) and quit alcohol without big cravings. It was kind of a miracle. I drank during 25 years and never was able to quit.
Sorry, english is not my first language.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Innerchild - Thank you for sharing.

I connect with your experience. My period of active addiction begain within a few months of entering a time of spiritual disconnectedness. Unsurprisingly, I remained disconnected the entire time I drank alcoholically (i.e. 16 years).

My life story will read that I was wholly unblessed by the time I spent trying to be my own God. YMMV, of course.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"wholly unblessed". That's me the last 5 years of my life.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What ever helps you to be happy and keep sober.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Church definatly helps. I love my church, minister, and the people I connect with. I'm terrified, however, of what may happen if my wife leaves me.

She's taking a little time off with her mom out of town right now. I may lose her although lately has been the best time of my life coming up on a year sober. In no uncertain terms, she mentioned that if she did leave me, the church is hers since she brought me into it. That scares me to death and not sure how I'll deal with that hurdle.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I had no religion. Or religious training.

I have spirituality. I've always prayed. I don't think I need a specific building to pray in. I don't pray out loud in AA. Too religious for me.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I had no religion. Or religious training.

I have spirituality. I've always prayed. I don't think I need a specific building to pray in. I don't pray out loud in AA. Too religious for me.
I agree. And I'm not sure if you're responding to my post, but I feel like my church is a pillar of support. Building or no building, it's the feeling I have and people around me.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since "Ninety Minutes In Heaven" was mentioned.

I'll share two sites that I found interesting... Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife & God's plan to greatly reduce terrorism

To me, being in self is to sin is to be distant from a Higher Power I choose to call God. Most of the pain I have ever felt is a result of being selfish and self-centered. I've given thanks for the emotional and spiritual pain I've felt lately because it took all that to realize that I was moving away from God and Recovery and towards, well we all know what lays in the opposite direction, using and eventually jails, institutions and death.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd say Go and enjoy. That is my experience. I have recently been invited to 3 different churches and plan on going to 4, which includes one I've wanted to try. I don't know what happens at church.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Hard to respond, abnheel. Your wife is claiming church is hers? She's confusing me.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hard to respond, abnheel. Your wife is claiming church is hers? She's confusing me.
It was something along the lines of 'when people separate, those who were brought in should find somewhere else'.

I don't recall all of it. I'm not mad at her, just disappointed. I've come a very long way and over the last year, gotten to the point where I feel more comfortable speaking about my spirituality. Obviously, I don't want to make it uncomfortable at the church and I don't know if I could still go if we were divorced. I just know that it's a big part of my life now and heck, I'm on the stinking finance committee now.

An example is from last Wednesday while we were on the 4th day of a semi-Bible study. I'm a huge history nut and these classes were right up my alley on history of the Bible. Initially she asked if I would stay home so she could go alone because it made her uncomfortable to pretend everything was okay in front of others. I agreed and although she apologized the next day and said I should go anyhow, I knew where her heart was. So, I stayed home. I didn't want to at that point because I thought I was doing the right thing. It just felt so wrong though.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm saying prayers for you & wife. Nite! 6 am comes early
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm saying prayers for you & wife. Nite! 6 am comes early
Thanks. I didn't want to steal this thread so i started my own.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-pillar.html
Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Also saying prayers for you and your wife abnheel. I feel the same stong attachment to my gym I can relate to how you feel about loving a place so much. Its really got to be hard but keep the faith and hopefully things will work out.