Notices

ate a vanilla dessert

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ate a vanilla dessert

I didnt know it has vanilla on it, though i suspected, my cousin said it was caramel, then i was happy because i love this dessert, but i started feeling weird at night and couldnt sleep, then i remember the dessert, googled its ingredents and there it was: "Vanilla Extract, 45% alcohol" i was fine already these days, recovering, and all that stuff, and really dont want to take any drug to sleep, (which i dont [just twice]) but the whole world seems to get the alcohol on meee, and they just dont get i cant take a drop!! even my, mom, stills cooking with alcoholic sauces, i dont blame her, i love her and i love my cousin that made the dessert, its just meeee and thats killing me, i hate alcohol..

Is there some way i can get rid of alcohol faster?? im drinking milk...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

How much extract was in the dessert? Was it baked? If so, then most likely all the alcohol was cooked off, and would have no more alcohol, than say, a ripe banana.

I certainly understand the concern, here, though maybe it is the sugar that is keeping you awake? I know sugar can have that effect here.

Well, best wishes, and hope this helps,

H. Pup
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When Vanilla extract is used to flavor desserts it is normally a teaspoon. I apologize if I sound apathetic, but there is probably more alcohol in your orange juice. You weren't eating it to get drunk, and there isn't enough in there to affect your body.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Milo,

a very similar thing happened to me recently - I glugged back a big swallow of what I thought was OJ but was in fact Bucks Fizz.

Sounds dramatic, but I felt so cheated and my brain raced for days - not from the actual alcohol so much as the incessant thinking about it.

Lesson learned (look before leap!) and don't give it another thought.

x
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I was noting that trace ammounts of alcohol are in most fruit juices, and also ripe fruit...often beyond the point of NA beer. I don't think these small ammounts do anything, especially if one is not seeking out a buzz.

Some of this may also be guilt/anxiety, too, and panic..but as another poster said, move on, and it will pass, you did nothing wrong, here, just keep on your path
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Milo
I hope you're feeling better now

I'm usually pretty careful about what I ingest - I've never worried about vanilla much tho I have to admit...it's used so widely, a lot of the time it's not true vanilla essence anyway.

You ate the stuff with good intent - you mustn't blame yourself.

I'm sorry your folks don't get it, but maybe in future it's best to ask whats in something?

D
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't like desserts with uncooked alcohol or even rum cake, nor do I consume sauces made with wine and I boil crabs in salted water.

I also use listerine.

I don't swallow it. And unless I get a serious craving to drink, I am good for the day.

And I will eat fruit.

Relax and enjoy sobriety! (My pure vanilla extract is 35%, but I like to eat cookies and other baked items.
Just me.