Notices

A question for those advocating doctors

Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question for those advocating doctors

I am relapsing and self-medicating to avoid withdrawal. I have read many posts advocating seeking out doctors. I cannot afford a treatment facility. I know that I need 3 benzos to get me past the danger of seizure. My question is: does anyone really think that if I go to a doctor,tell them honestly what I'm going through and ask for what I need, that they will actually do this? ER is not an option. Seriously - has anyone ever gone to a GP, said "I'm in withdrawal" and had them say "Sure, here you go."? My last withdrawal was the most nightmarish hell I have ever experienced. It was cold turkey, unassisted and dangerous.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

How do you know you need 3 benzos to get you past seizure, Gracie?

Here's what I know: I didn't go to a Doctor - I suffered a series of mini strokes, and I have to live with the legacy of that for the rest of my life.

I wish I'd seen a Dr.

I suggest you see a Dr - be honest and open - and listen to what they suggest.

D
Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why is ER not an option? If something were to happen and you had a seizure, you would (hopefully) end up in the ER anyway. If you absolutely refuse to go to the ER, then I agree you should see your doctor and be completely honest with him.

Hopefully, this will be the last time you have to go through this nightmarish hell.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it should be up to the dr to decide what, if anything, you need to get through withdrawls. I don't imagine that your dr would want you to tell him what you need. I agree with the others and I hope that you go to an ER for help.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

benzos

It takes 3 days to get past the worst. I know my constitution - years of practice. I just don't believe that any doctor will do this and I find it really odd that so many on this forum advocate going to a doctor. I stopped drinking May 9 and relapsed. I also know that doing detrox the way I did is very dangerous.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

self medicating is like playing russian roulette....You do not KNOW what you need and I doubt that you are monitoring your vitals, BP and running your blood through a lab.

you can tell your doctor the truth and ask to be placed on outpatient???? does your local ER sponsor charity care? or at least sliding fee scale?

what about going through the salvation army?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

How do you know what a doctor will or won't do if you don't go and ask? Why is the ER not an option? You are talking to people who have been where you are. We can make suggestions based on what has worked for us, or did not work for us, but we cannot make you follow those suggestions.

If you relapsed on your drinking then maybe you need to try something you haven't tried before. Like going to the ER or seeing your doctor for proper help.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

With all due respect to everyone replying, New Orleans is NOT a functioning city despite reports to the contrary. Our medical system is on life support. The wait time to see a shrink is a month at minimum. I volunteer for a site that documents police and medical incidents and exports them to a database. The hospitals stop accepting people on a weekly basis. Sounds like I'm making excuses. Sorry.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Have you considered a detox facility?

Detox: Medical Detoxification Treatment

http://local.soberrecovery.com/Detox...rleans_LA.html
Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

GracieJane, there is no wasy way through withdrawal. I've been through it many times and I can tell you it only gets worse with each detox cycle. Doctors know how to treat it but most will want you in a hospital setting if your really bad.

Without approaching a Doctor or ER how do you really know what they'll suggest?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by GracieJane View Post
With all due respect to everyone replying, New Orleans is NOT a functioning city despite reports to the contrary. Our medical system is on life support. The wait time to see a shrink is a month at minimum. I volunteer for a site that documents police and medical incidents and exports them to a database. The hospitals stop accepting people on a weekly basis. Sounds like I'm making excuses. Sorry.
Do you have medical insurance?

Why not call your doctor in the morning and see what they suggest?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this page may help - there's a 24 hour helpline too

VIA LINK - Your Community Connection

D
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have gone to a Doctor at an immediate care facility and walked out with a prescription for a few Valium an hour later after being totally honest about what I was going through.

I actually needed to do this on two separate occasions a few months apart. I'm glad I don't need to do that anymore.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If New Orleans is still not up and running 100%, maybe you can go to the Red Cross for help...especially if you are out there volunteering, they can have suggestions on where you can go safely....even if you go over the state line.

detoxing is hard, no one will tell you the opposite....but again the severety of your withdrawal will depend on how much alcohol you have consumed for how long on your relapse.....it might not be the traumatic event if you only drank for 2-3 days....we don't know, but a doctor will...taking into account your general physical health, age, if you have regular proper nutrition, any other health problems...

you cannot 2nd guess your de-toxing...if you tough it out, be prepared tohave someone there to contact 911....

and the biggest question is...is the pain of this and the physical trauma enough to keep you sober? why continue to hurt yourself?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Gracie...We are here for support not to tell you what a doctor might say. I would have no idea since I didn't need a doctor. There is only one way to find out and that is to call your local doctor and ask.
We advocate heading to the DR or ER because it can be very dangerous and no one here can give you medical advice on your detoxing.
I am a dog groomer and I can't even give a dog a sedative. I can tell you to take your dog to the Vet for the sedative but I can not give medical advice. I could get in big trouble for dosing an animal. So point is...a doctor knows best and you should seek one out.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ASAM... The American Society of Addiction Medicine... They certify physicians who treat people with addiction... Check the web site for ASAM certified doctors in NOLA... you might just find one willing to see you... give it a try... call them all...

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here is one list of detoxes in the New Orleans area:

New Orleans, LA Drug & Alcohol Treatment Centers ? Addiction Treatment and Rehab Programs in New Orleans

Here's an additional list:

New Orleans Detox Facilities - Detox Recovery near New Orleans

Please, get supervised detox.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

meds

Hi Peeps

Over here in the UK, and had to book to see my doc, was a day to wait. I sat down a said i have a drink prob and cant stop, just came clean out with it, he spoke about tappering off and gave me a bottle of 5mg of chlordiazepoxide, now really not into taking tabs but the tappering really not working, cut down to 4 to 5 beers a day from 12 cans a day over the weekend. may i suggest please see a doc and take his or her advice, or contact the links the fellow members have posted. i get the same with stopping after about 3 days feel better, and going to try again and hope i beat this devil once and for all. any 1 taken this chlordiazepoxide drug?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, I went to my Dr. and was very open about the amount / frequency I was drinking. She prescribed me Xannax - .5 mg once per day (not 3). I was on it for about two weeks, it helped a ton. I saw here once a week for the first month and I lived happily ever after. Don't take anything now - and don't drink.

We don't know what will happen until we take action and see.

I would just find a way to go. There has to be a way.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started a thread for you paddy
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...8436-meds.html

D