Notices

meds

Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meds

Hi Peeps

Over here in the UK, and had to book to see my doc, was a day to wait. I sat down a said i have a drink prob and cant stop, just came clean out with it, he spoke about tappering off and gave me a bottle of 5mg of chlordiazepoxide, now really not into taking tabs but the tappering really not working, cut down to 4 to 5 beers a day from 12 cans a day over the weekend.

going to try again and hope i beat this devil once and for all. any 1 taken this chlordiazepoxide drug?

Last edited by Dee74; 06-01-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi Peeps

Over here in the UK, and had to book to see my doc, was a day to wait. I sat down a said i have a drink prob and cant stop, just came clean out with it, he spoke about tappering off and gave me a bottle of 5mg of chlordiazepoxide, now really not into taking tabs but the tappering really not working, cut down to 4 to 5 beers a day from 12 cans a day over the weekend. may i suggest please see a doc and take his or her advice, or contact the links the fellow members have posted. i get the same with stopping after about 3 days feel better, and going to try again and hope i beat this devil once and for all. any 1 taken this chlordiazepoxide drug?

Yes it's librium, a benzo. It will help with withdrawal.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

meds

Hi Back to square 1, did you take this ever, get freaked out i am or will not be in control if i take, and people sorry for the hijack of the tread or is it that it states DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL, and once taken it i wont be able to drink
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paddy,

It's dangerous to mix benzos and alcohol, yes. Please don't do it.

D
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Paddy,

It's dangerous to mix benzos and alcohol, yes. Please don't do it.

D
Hi Dee, i dont and never would Hun, just dont know abouts these meds and wondering if any 1 has taken and are they safe??
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

meds

Hey Thanks Dee for starting this link, still dont know how to start 1 (top Bloke lol)

Please people may i have some info on what the meds do and the feeling they give etc, i had links to withdrawal cold turkey, and boy some horror stories there i might add. as posted before just beer is my choice and no wine or spirits thank Christ.50 pints + a week
Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a class of drug called benzodiazapene. There is a TON of info on it over the internet.

Other benzos include valium, xanax, ativan etc.

It acts on your GABA receptors, the same receptor alcohol acts on. Thus, it is prescribed to treat withdrawal symptoms.

They will likely make you tired, relaxed, and feel "good" so to speak. They will help with tremors, heart rate, and other withdrawal/anxiety symptoms. But be careful because they can be VERY addictive and people developing a cross addiction from alcohol to benzos is pretty common.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cheers for the info, read up on the web and horror stories of getting hooked etc, and can see the dose can be given is 100mg on day 1, docs given me 5mg 3 times a day. and been given 7.5 mg of Zopiclone (sleeping tabs) both are still unopen and got them 2 weeks ago, still they are there if needed ???
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paddy

We can share our experiences but we can't give you medical advice - noone here is qualified to comment on your Dr's dosage or anything like that.

Either you trust your Dr - or you need to find another one, mate

When exactly are you planning to quit?
D
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Paddy

We can share our experiences but we can't give you medical advice - noone here is qualified to comment on your Dr's dosage or anything like that.

Either you trust your Dr - or you need to find another one, mate

When exactly are you planning to quit?
D
Hi Dee, Monday the 6th, or might take the meds over the weekend as off work, been posting on and off since Sept last year and have learnt that i cant control my drinking.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((PaddyB)))))

First of all, I never 'tapered' off of anything in my life, it would have been a waste of time. lol

The reason most of suggest seeing a doctor and being honest or going into a detox, preferably a 'non medical' one is so that we can 'feel' the detox, in the hopes that we won't forget it and it will become a 'tool' (a very bad memory) in our tool box as we attempt to live sober. Not everyone has a detox like mine or Dees or some of the others on here, but detoxing from alcohol can kill.

it was at about the end of my first 16 hours that I ended up in the emergency room in seizures. My blood alcohol was .38 and my body wanted MORE and was seizure to the point of stopping my heart. They would get my heart started again and I would start to seizure. This was 30 years ago. After doing this for over 8 hours, they put the Time of Death on my chart after 28 minutes of trying to start my heart. As the Dr was writing the TOD my heart started on its own.

There are many who have started their own detox at home, with someone with them, and if they started feeling bad or really lost track of time, had the one staying with them either take them to the Emergency or if it was bad the person calls an ambulance.

I personally am in favor when possible of one going through the shakes and the anxiety and drinking gallons of water and/or pedilyte and feeling nauseous until it becomes life threatening. That is why a 'detox' is great as the individuals are monitored but allowed to 'feel' the consequences of their actions.

You could also try some AA meetings as there are folks there that will stay with you as you 'shake it out' so to speak.

No matter how long we drank, we were putting poison/toxins into our bodies at a drastic rate and our bodies take time to clean itself of those toxins. Then we have to learn how to live without the toxins.

You can do this!!!!!!! There are many here who are succeeding Living Sober and finding out all that they missed in life those years they were numb.

J M H O

Love and hugs,