Notices

Discussion: "Higher Power" Day 18 rehab

Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Discussion: "Higher Power" Day 18 rehab

In these first 18 days of rehab, I must have heard over 30 peers in the program state that "I simply cannot work the 12 Steps of AA, because I am an atheist (or an agnostic), so I don't have a Higher Power."

Does anyone have a good answer that I can give to them?

Just asking'

Kelly C.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post

Does anyone have a good answer that I can give to them?
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

Believing in the "path" is all that is necessary to begin working the steps.

I know a guy who used to have a resentment towards God. When his sponsor told him he had to prey, he said "I hate that Rotton Rat Bast**d" (God). His sponsor told him he must follow the directions anyway. However, it was OK to substitute "Dear Rotton Rat Bast**d" for Dear God.

He followed the directions. He got the results LOL!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I'm an atheist and I have a Higher Power. I've worked the 12 Steps also.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
"I simply cannot work the 12 Steps of AA, because I am an atheist (or an agnostic), so I don't have a Higher Power."
I have no experience to share from this POV.
In AA I gratefully returned to my childhood God of love and forgivness...

Of course there is a BB chapter..."We Agnostics" that might
be beneficial vut I don't recall if it has specifics about Steps.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Suggest that they set aside everything they know and think they know about any sort of God or higher power. Even those two concepts-- "God" and "higher power," can be polarizing, so set them aside.

Now ask, "are you willing to consider that there might just be something greater than you operating in the world?" Not necessarily a deity, or a moral entity, but just an unseeable presence or intelligence?

And: given that you are without power against drugs and/or alcohol, would you be open to this power that you are only willing to consider as a solution to your problem?

That is all that's required to do the steps (and that is, basically, steps 1-3). The rest of the steps open the door.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always found that recovery is a personal thing and everyone have different believe. When the person is ready to change their actions then stopping will not a hard thing to do. Doing research on what recovery will work for them. Telling them about SOS, SMART and any other non AA programs are out there for non believers. But it's hard to think those 30 people that are atheist have not look into SMART or SOS yet.

The truth is that most people quit using or abusing drugs or alcohol on there own. You get a little older and a little wiser.

Hope everything is going well in rehab.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
The truth is that most people quit using or abusing drugs or alcohol on there own. You get a little older and a little wiser.
The truth is most people die from alcohol and drugs.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I consider my higher power a source from within myself. One that motivates me, keeps me focused and has me answer my own decisions from the gut. I believe there is a higher power within everything...an organizer, if you will. One that keeps everyone on their path and keeps the earth going 'round.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
The truth is most people die from alcohol and drugs.
LOL, a lot of people do die from alcohol and drugs but the most programs does not work. They have a very small percent of success rate but that does not change the fact that people will quit on their own.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

Believing in the "path" is all that is necessary to begin working the steps.

I know a guy who used to have a resentment towards God. When his sponsor told him he had to prey, he said "I hate that Rotton Rat Bast**d" (God). His sponsor told him he must follow the directions anyway. However, it was OK to substitute "Dear Rotton Rat Bast**d" for Dear God.

He followed the directions. He got the results LOL!
Heh.

Much of the 'rotton rat *******' I thought was God playing all these terrible jokes on me in my life ended up it was just me all along. Self.

Found out I had this thing called an ego and God did not reside in it.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have any kind of religious connection, but I definitely need to connect spiritually. I do believe that my personality needs to be in line with my soul's purpose. I had years ago stopped listening to my soul, but I knew I would not recover if I could not begin to hear it again. Being quiet and being with myself enabled this to happen.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Ditto Anna and Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This "God" thing was what kept me from going to AA for years.

When push came to shove, someone told me that I could substitute "good orderly direction" where appropriate. That's what I did. Today, my beliefs are based on God, angels and being a part of the world, whereas before, I felt I was alone and disconnected from others.

My brother relied on my father (who was deceased) because he knew my father wouldn't want him to be living like that. I guess you can call that a belief in angels and guides.

Others relied on their desire to become spiritual - to become one of many and not feel isolated from others - as their higher power.

Your AA group can be used here. Anything that evokes a power greater than you yourself, and that you can believe in.

Congrats on the 18 days sober! Keep going...

All the best.....
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeremiahS View Post
Heh.

Much of the 'rotton rat *******' I thought was God playing all these terrible jokes on me in my life ended up it was just me all along. Self.

Found out I had this thing called an ego and God did not reside in it.

EXCELLENT! I like that alot!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

for me spritual has nought to do with religion, dont get the two confused
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got sober with out a "higher power" or a "God"....so you can too.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

An athiest is not the same thing as an agnostic. Athiests don't believe in anything. Agnostics ( like myself) may believe in God or a higher power but don't affiliate with a specific religion.

Basically we believe in a higher power we just don't know what or who he/she is.... just that they are here/there/somewhere.

I've heard it said that a light post can be your god if you so desire.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Enoy View Post
An athiest is not the same thing as an agnostic. Athiests don't believe in anything. Agnostics ( like myself) may believe in God or a higher power but don't affiliate with a specific religion.

Basically we believe in a higher power we just don't know what or who he/she is.... just that they are here/there/somewhere.

I've heard it said that a light post can be your god if you so desire.
An atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic is someone who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. An agnostic is not defined by their belief in God but lack of affiliation with any religion.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Now this is going to sound funny and a joke now, but at the time I was dead serious.

My whole first year of recovery and yes I was working the steps with a very well respected sponsor and her hubby was .................................... a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. It sure had more power than me.

Since then, these many years, I have finally incorporated into my program a HP that works for me. I don't have to explain it to any one, it is mine. I don't try and convert others to my way of thinking, and they don't try and convert me (or I don't let them try, lol).

If the subject comes up again, you can tell them that you have had contact with sober alkies from all over the world and they have told you that there are Agnostics in AA all over the world working the program. You can also say that some of those you have been in contact with, have been in "The Program, Living The Program" for many years. (I will have 30 in June).

Your HP can be the Universe, Mother Nature, the earth, etc

I have to say when I hear someone in a meeting say the word "God" I immediately think of "Good Orderly Direction" and "Group of Drunks." When I hear someone say HP I think they have been searching and have found 'one of their own understanding.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
An atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic is someone who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. An agnostic is not defined by their belief in God but lack of affiliation with any religion.
Wrong. I hear this about when people use agnostic as if they know what it truly mean. In short term, agnostic means humans can't claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity aka the prove that any good existence. Does not mean you can't be affiliation to religion. You can be a Christian and tell be agnostic at the same time. You believe that Jesus is God but can't prove it in the natural world. Same goes with agnostic atheist.

I heard this a lot on different forums that ask about if your religion or atheist and the people that don't believe in religion but don't know if they is a god or gods will use agnostic.