Notices

Discussion: "Higher Power" Day 18 rehab

Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would ask them if they are tired of alcohol kicking their azz. Are the willing to go to any length to maintain sobriety.

I would suggest that they use AA as their HP. AA is a power greater than I am. They help people to sobriety and stay sober. I don't have the power to do that.

AA can get them through the 12 steps with AA being their HP. Step three, turn your life over to AA.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

Believing in the "path" is all that is necessary to begin working the steps.

I know a guy who used to have a resentment towards God. When his sponsor told him he had to prey, he said "I hate that Rotton Rat Bast**d" (God). His sponsor told him he must follow the directions anyway. However, it was OK to substitute "Dear Rotton Rat Bast**d" for Dear God.

He followed the directions. He got the results LOL!
So Rotten Rat Bast**d gets the same results as praying to your HP? Isn't that kind of insulting to people who have real HP's?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
This "God" thing was what kept me from going to AA for years.

When push came to shove, someone told me that I could substitute "good orderly direction" where appropriate. That's what I did. Today, my beliefs are based on God, angels and being a part of the world, whereas before, I felt I was alone and disconnected from others.

My brother relied on my father (who was deceased) because he knew my father wouldn't want him to be living like that. I guess you can call that a belief in angels and guides.

Others relied on their desire to become spiritual - to become one of many and not feel isolated from others - as their higher power.

Your AA group can be used here. Anything that evokes a power greater than you yourself, and that you can believe in.

Congrats on the 18 days sober! Keep going...

All the best.....
So they converted you from a non believer to a believer and you recovered?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
In these first 18 days of rehab, I must have heard over 30 peers in the program state that "I simply cannot work the 12 Steps of AA, because I am an atheist (or an agnostic), so I don't have a Higher Power."

Does anyone have a good answer that I can give to them?
Yes. The answer comes from the Big Book. There is a whole chapter called 'We Agnostics' that says about half the original members of AA were atheist or agnostic. The primary author of the BB could best be described as a doubting agnostic. The 12 Steps worked for them because they took the Steps and got connected to some power of their own understanding.

That chapter describes how that power must be found deep within oneself. That comes as the result of the Steps, not from having faith before taking the Steps.

Chapter 2 gives Carl Jung's description of the necessity for the "ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them."

I came to AA as a staunch atheist who thought the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak-minded people. Just like those early members, I took the 12 Steps and I recovered.

quotes aabb1st
Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Wrong. I hear this about when people use agnostic as if they know what it truly mean. In short term, agnostic means humans can't claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity aka the prove that any good existence. Does not mean you can't be affiliation to religion. You can be a Christian and tell be agnostic at the same time. You believe that Jesus is God but can't prove it in the natural world. Same goes with agnostic atheist.

I heard this a lot on different forums that ask about if your religion or atheist and the people that don't believe in religion but don't know if they is a god or gods will use agnostic.
Read carefully. We're saying the same thing. I did not say that you can not be affiliated with a religion. I said

An agnostic is not defined by their belief in God but lack of affiliation with any religion.
Not defined.

I was responding to what Enoy had said, which was

Agnostics ( like myself) may believe in God or a higher power but don't affiliate with a specific religion.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
So Rotten Rat Bast**d gets the same results as praying to your HP? Isn't that kind of insulting to people who have real HP's?
LOL means Laughing Out Loud. The point of my story was that it does matter what you call your HP. You can call it God, Good Orderly Direction, Group Of Drunks, the Path, the Way, or Rotten Rat Bast...

The important thing to believe in is the "Helping Nature" of the HP. I myself no longer try to define that HP. The important thing is, I am no longer fighting with whatever form it takes. If it wants to morph into a light-bulb, I let it.

"Let Go, Let RottenRatB..." LOL!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My point was more along the lines of if your HP is God, and Joe's HP is Allah, and Frank's HP is electricity, and Ted's HP is Group of Drunks, and your friend is praying to "Rat Bast**d, and my HP is the door knob, and we all get the same spiritual awakening, doesn't that sort of diminish the idea of a higher power, and might even be insulting to think that I am getting the same result with the door knob or your friend with Rat Bast**d?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
... might even be insulting to think that I am getting the same result with the door knob or your friend with Rat Bast**d?
"If a man says that God is wise, the man is lying because anything that is wise can become wiser. Anything that a man might say about God is incorrect, even calling Him by the name of God. God is "superessential nothingness" and "transcendent Being"..."beyond all words and beyond all understanding. The best a man can do is remain silent, because anytime he prates on about God, he is committing the sin of lying. The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, He would never hold Him to be God."

- Meister Eckhart