Notices

Feeling a bit down and thought I should reach out

Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit down and thought I should reach out

Hi Everyone - it is nearly 4 months for me sober. I was an isolated drinker, wine was a friend, stopped me from being social even though everyone thinks I am a social person.

Over Easter I stepped out into a few gatherings and now feel totally depleted and kind of depressed like a gloomy feeling a dark cloud impending doom, I know sounds dramatic, I am finding it hard to get motivated, have stopped excercises - maybe I need to start that up again, anyway just felt that I need some support - did anyone feel like this around the 4 months time?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also declined many glasses of wine over Easter so am proud of that.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it sounds like the normal ebb and flow of human emotion. It's not necessarily related to your stage of recovery. Part of being sober is learning how to deal with emotions, especially the less than optimal one. Living sober successfully is a skill, I think. It doesn't just happen. Alchol prevents us from developing and maturing emotionally and learning how to soothe ourselves, how to pick ourselves up when we're down etc. A post holiday let down is probably being felt by many people right now, recovering alcoholic or not.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm 2.5 years and I'm MISERABLE today. Sigh. This too shall pass.

Well done on by passing the wine. It's not easy, i know.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

I really started to go downhill around 4 months...i felt so positive before then. Its only now at 7 months I am able to try and start digging myself out of it again (the doom and gloom that is). I really thought being sober would get better and better magically...silly me. Im actually feeling human thats the problem lol so im doing little things bit by bit as best I can to get well. This too shall pass :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ring,

Congrats on the 4 months. I think TL is on to something with the post holiday blues.

Kind of run into the same thing myself. Like your idea of getting back into the excersize. ....maybe just start back easy. You remind me i need to get out for a walk.

The hardest part for me is usually just lasing up my shoes to get started.

Sometimes i forget it's supposed to be about having fun, and less about work !?!
Do plenty of that already. lo
Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im just exhausted, ive written many posts just to cancel them, i dont like things at the moment.

its only 2 months and i guess ups and downs are going to be in my future for a while by what i read, somtimes the downs are over quick, not this time but i think its a lot to do wih work.

i used to be such a grammer and spelling ocd type but this dumb ipad sux at it so turned the auto caps and spell check off, it always suggested the stupidest words for replacments and auto replaced the words. not sure why i just mentioned that but it felt good to get it out.

sigh, this too shall pass, soon i hope...
Old 04-27-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think its useful to remember recovery isn't a straight linear processs from A to Z because life isn't like that either....I'm sure we've all had really great months and then had it turn around suddenly on us.

It takes a little effort to learn to deal with the bad months.

I think we have to remember that we're rebuilding our lives here - it's a slow process to begin with...then it picks up speed...but sometimes in the initial months it can feel like we're going nowhere.

thats when a lot of the real work comes into recovery - it's easy to be motivated when things are great....but it can take a little more skill, and a little faith that it will be ok, to learn to negotiate the doldrums

This may be also useful in terms of tips on how to get through tough times

PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not long for me either Ring. Ive got the same sorts of feeling combined with not feeling well physically.

I guess it is just what TigerLili said...the normal ebb and flow..

I have gratitute for not being on my way to an early grave, unless of course i tell my wife that her backside looks big in her new jeans when she asks.

Life for me , again, for what it is worth, better already in many ways for not being drunk every day.

I feel more responsible and have more self respect.
I think you did an amazing thing not grabbing wine over the break

Well done my friend..

L
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel ya ring. I'm at 86 days. There are some times when it feels like my progress in life has slowed to a crawl, or is going backwards even. But I am happy to be learning how to deal with it in a healthy way. If I weren't sober, my life would surely be going in the opposite direction a million miles an hour. I feel fortunate to have made the decision to get clean sooner rather than later!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know whatcha mean....booze had masked my whole life...so now when I have a good day I have a really good day and if its bad I can realize that, too. It's different now that I don't drink to alter the mood. And funny thing was when I had a good day drinking it would turn out bad and I should have realized how good it was and left it at that. But NO, I had to go and drink and ruin everything! LOL
If you're having a Ugh day...stop and think about graditute. What do you have in your life now that you didn't when you were sober.
As I always say POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE! Thinking and feeling negative is not going to get you positive results.
Hope you're feeling alittle better...do this alot today ---->