Notices

Fire and Brimstone Meeting!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fire and Brimstone Meeting!

I found a new meeting hall to try after work today since it was close by work and I would miss the evening commute.

First - it's just amazing how welcome I always feel in meetings. I even read "how it works" and I'd never been there! Also, mixing up where I go is a nice way for me to avoid being complacent in recovery.

So tonight's topic request was "Relapse" as suggested by a younger member who relapsed last night while hanging out with some friends.

Several members with 2 to 12 years sobriety gave very "sobering" talks about what it takes for them to stay sober and why it is imperitive to examine where we are and who we're with - especially in early recovery. The first speaker was dropping "f"bombs left and right but backed by such a sense of anger, desperation, and seriousness about relapse. The next guy, an older German guy, talked about how we need the 2x4 treatment sometimes from our sponsor if "hugs don't work." Finally, a female addict discussed how important it was for her to lean on God during the difficult times. They all were desperate and sincere that working the steps in HONEST deliberation was what kept them sober. The German guy even offered to drive the kid to the nearest tavern if he wasn't serious about recovery (I don't think he really would have).

Anyway - I like how it wasn't just hugged out, but taken very seriously by the group and each one in there hurt for this kid, were very serious, but never demeaned him - all anger was projected toward the cunning mystery that is our addiction. He left the meeting smiling with his head up.

I felt like I'd just left an old fashioned revival. Others in the group commented that it was one of the best meetings they've been to as well.

-SPG
71 days
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got something out of it SPG

D
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I understand what you mean, a 'no nonsense' meeting.

When I chose my sponsor, or she chose me, who knows, HP did it really, what I didn't know was when one got her as a sponsor they also got her hubby (also in the program for a long time).

I admit, I was 'hard to handle' in those early months and even longer, and when I would drive Beverly up the wall she would turn me over to Hugh. One of the first two things, I still remember all these years later, that Hugh said to me were:

1) "If we baby you, we bury you."

2) "I will risk your friendship to save your life."

I have come to understand totally what he meant, and I sponsor the way I was sponsored.

I got sober in an area of S. California that was very much like you described. These folks, were 'dead' serious about recovery, and how to do it as laid out in the first 164 pages of the BB of AA. But ............................ they had fun too. The meetings were hard azz down to the earth, but there was laughter and fun.

I can remember very early, seeing, yes actually seeing that when these folks smiled the smile went all the way to their eyes, and hearing them laugh, it was a laughter that came straight from their gut, and .............................. they were usually laughing at themselves.

You found a great meeting, i hope it is always or almost always that way. Those types of meetings are harder and harder to find.

Thank you for sharing this moment in your recovery.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post

Anyway - I like how it wasn't just hugged out, but taken very seriously by the group and each one in there hurt for this kid, were very serious, but never demeaned him - all anger was projected toward the cunning mystery that is our addiction. He left the meeting smiling with his head up.

I felt like I'd just left an old fashioned revival. Others in the group commented that it was one of the best meetings they've been to as well.

-SPG
71 days
Thanks for this clear post StPete,

Almost feel like I'd been there myself !
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
The first speaker was dropping "f"bombs left and right but backed by such a sense of anger, desperation, and seriousness about relapse. The next guy, an older German guy, talked about how we need the 2x4 treatment sometimes from our sponsor if "hugs don't work." ...
Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
1) "If we baby you, we bury you."

2) "I will risk your friendship to save your life."
SPG:

I hate HUGS, and they certainly did not work for me. If AA is your thing, and it looks like it is, you may want to go back to that particular group.

I'm not in any way excusing my behavior, or avoiding my responsibility for it, but I can tell you that the only way someone might have gotten through to me is if they hit me with a 2x4.

Repeatedly.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome...great meetings are a great thing. You can come away with so much. That makes it so much more enticing to get back there.

I even read at the last meeting, too! LOL