Notices

No more extremes allowed. Is this correct?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No more extremes allowed. Is this correct?

Last night I went to a meeting. Not an AA one, a more casual style one run by my PCP and the doctor I saw recently who specializes in drug/alcohol problems.

One topic that came up from the doc (and it's an open discussion group, with back and forth) was that anything that created a natural 'high' such as extreme sports, rocking out to loud music, singing in a choir, intense dancing, dangerous pursuits such as skydiving etc are not recommended for we addicts as the high can be equated as being buzzed, and can set us off again.

I'm new to all this, so I'd like your opinions. This, to me, sounds really controlling. I like to do quite a few of those things (rock climbing, indoor skydiving, dancing, singing etc) whether I'm drinking or not. The idea that I can't do anything that thrills/challenges me for the rest of my days doesn't affect my 100% commitment to staying sober, I just think it's a bit over the top. I wanted to do a triathlon as a challenge for my 40th in a couple of years. He said absolutely not! Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, this is only my opinion, but I think the guy is a nut. Instead of working a program that will remove cravings, he just wants people to avoid a lot of life. That's ridiculous. Are we no longer to have any enjoyment because he fears it will cause us to crave drugs or alcohol. Yeah, the guy is full of more shite than a Christmas turkey.

Pffttt...
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NO way! Newwings that guy has got to be crazy! Those highs are a total different chemical entirely! When you do a good workout brain chemicals released such as serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and endorphins, are known to have strong effects on mood, helping reduce feelings of anxiety, stress and depression, while also helping to strengthen your immune system. I can't imagine someone not wanting this to take place. ARRGGGHHH
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is so wrong. My SO is a composer and sits up to 16 hours a day in front of the piano doing his thing. It is a lifelong addiction - but is it really bad you think?

Not everyone is capable of working eight hours a day then walking home 1 hour, grocery shopping 1 hour, cooking and housework 1 hour, TV 2 hours and then go to bed and sleep. If we were all like that we would still not have invented the wheel - or your doc's stetoscope, for instance...
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's insane!

As soon as I stopped drinking, I got back into loving music, singing aloud and dancing around. Music was SO important for me. Honestly, that man is nuts. Finding healthy things that give you joy in your life is wonderful for you now or any other time.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Life is so full of wonderful things that bring us such joy that it is almost a natural high!! My drinking caused me to miss those moments. I love the giddy feeling that something can bring me while sober, it makes me appreciate it all the more!!!

If I had to give up everything that gave me that feeling of elation, I would probably start drinking again!!!

Cathy
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds weird to me. I can see how people could replace their addiction with an overzealous addiciton to exercise, food, losing weight, etc... but to say that you basically can't be passionate about anything?

Singing in a choir? Really?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dfw

I have to agree with the other posters. I love mountain biking...it's a big rush, but adrenaline is totally different than the short serotonin release at the beginning of drinking. Chemically and physiologically they facilitate different emotional and mental responses.

I'd ask to see this doctor's credentials.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yesterday, at a no-alcohol family dinner, we all just played board games and giggled. You know, stupid giggling that makes you cry and dizzy? Kinda like being high. Then you breathe deeply and move on.

That easy laughter where we all go the joke is the POINT of not drinking. Donchya think?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
...I like to do quite a few of those things (rock climbing, indoor skydiving, dancing, singing etc) whether I'm drinking or not. The idea that I can't do anything that thrills/challenges me for the rest of my days doesn't affect my 100% commitment to staying sober, I just think it's a bit over the top. I wanted to do a triathlon as a challenge for my 40th in a couple of years. He said absolutely not! Thoughts?
IMO a "recovered" alcoholic can do just about anything a normie can do except mind-altering substances. That being said, those new to recovery (first year or first 9 steps), need to avoid drama, chaos and temptation.

My recommendation would be to get to know someone who has solid recovery and is active in these types of activities and ask them how they started off with their recovery.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Staying away from things that get me excited-- including drugs and alcohol-- is not recovery.

Recovery is an inside job, where we fix what's wrong with us so that we can live in a world where drugs and alcohol no longer phase us. We don't tempt fate, but we by no means avoid anything. We just no longer ingest the poison that we used to ingest.

So the idea that someone would think you need to live your life in a bubble suggests to me a complete lack of qualification.

Many rehab outpatient groups, or the like, tend to be abstinence programs, and not recovery programs. There is a big difference.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sex is a natural high so no more sex!!!!

LOL, I'm sorry, had to say it
Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Sex is a natural high so no more sex!!!!

LOL, I'm sorry, had to say it
I wanted to bring that up in group, but didn't want to come off as the pushy newcomer!! LOL. Glad the opinion is what I was thinking. I couldn't bear to live without a big belly laugh or an exciting bike ride ever again. That's not living, that's existing. I've already been doing *just* that. I want more.

I really found the group quite a downer. Everyone was nodding at was he was saying about the removal of natural highs from their lives, and I was looking around thinking, ?????. When I said I was feeling really positive and strong, they all said it was 'the pink cloud' (had to google the definition) and that I'd have to watch it as you normally plummet out of that pretty quick enough and then drink again. That wiped the smile off my face...

Although I'm willing to learn, I certainly don't think I'm currently in a pink cloud. I'm just very happy to be here after my near death experience (which I didn't share, btw. Maybe I should have, but I didn't feel comfortable enough in there to do so). No one said congratulations on 5 days. Not one. A few grunts, that was it. About 75% of the group were currently on Antabuse, and they spent all the time talking about how they would drink if they could, but medically they can't. I don't feel in the same genre as them. Maybe that's why I didn't fit.

Honestly, for my first meeting, it was pretty negative stuff. Lots of head shaking and tutting. I think I'll try somewhere else....
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, while I can understand some of what the PCP is saying I don't agree with it in totality. I am very careful and watchful of my psych when I'm too happy etc. but I'm not giving up my physical health, ie. my workouts. They keep me sane. When I'm feeling anxious or upset a few minutes of sweating, playing with my kids, taking a run, riding a bike. I don't get a "high" but I do get positive results, emotional and physical which my sponsor and my doctors/therapists encourage.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober to live life.
It has it's own highs (and lows) whether I like it or not

D
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post

I wanted to do a triathlon as a challenge for my 40th in a couple of years. He said absolutely not! Thoughts?
OK, There is some reasonable concern that obsessive and compulsive behavior of any kind might be risky for our recovery.... and that can include training, adrenaline rush activity, etc... notice I said obsessive/compulsive... I'm talking about pursuing these activities in such a way that the rest of your life suffers...

Personally, I like to ski the gnarliest steepist woods and chute runs I can find in the wintertime.... in wyoming or utah when I can afford to go.

I love class II and III whitewater in an open canoe

I ride bicycle everyday that weather allows, I just rode a metric century, well, 70 miles, three weeks ago...

I like to backpack, wilderness trip, paintball, fly-fish in places I have to backpack into...

I like blues, hard driving, chicago blues.... I like crazy fast bluegrass pickers and sometimes metal... I like music festivals and jam bands...

I do anything I want, except drink or drug. I'm recovered and I go to work everyday and pay my taxes...

Personally, I gotta tell you, that doctor's advice makes my stomach turn... I'm speechless... that is a load of Bullsh1t...

unless...........

you are doing these things in an obsessive or compulsive way.

To your own self be true..

Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Re: the pink cloud...its real and you should be aware of it but not everyone who is happy to be sober and alive is on a pink cloud

I think Mark has a valid point...if you start chasing adrenaline to the detriment of all else that is problematic
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That perspective seems a little extreme to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I think Mark has a valid point...if you start chasing adrenaline to the detriment of all else that is problematic
Yes, I get that point, totally. I can see where the concern would be with people who don't know where to stop. I'm not usually an obsessive person, I like being physically active but within reason.

He was quite firm about the (mini) triathlon. I tried to explain I used to be a gymnast and dancer until my early twenties, and I know somewhere buried within this shaky abused old body, is the 'memory' of being able to challenge myself and trust that my body will do what my mind wants it to (i.e, a backflip). But he said no. It's not even for 2 years anyway! Heck, I've missed the gym (used to go 5 mornings a week, without fail) and I'm ready to get back into that. Doctors are always encouraging more exercise, and especially we addicts who tend to abuse due to depression. I'm much better out in the open air than languishing at home.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would think that for you. NOT going to the gym would be injurious to your recovery. I was in treatment and could not ride for nearly two months and it was horrible... I could not WAIT to ride... When I did, I began to feel better and began to really work on this thing recovery... In a holistic way... AA, reading, SR and cycling... I need balance.

I have read what your recovery doc has suggested... It is not unheard of... But I strenuously disagree for someone who is used to lots of exercise and someone who has balance and is working their recovery program.

But, It is ultimately your call.