Notices

Cabin Fever

Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Cabin Fever

Is it the weather? The time of the year? I'd much rather be in the other hemisphere right now--winter does nothing positive for my mood.

I know these things come in waves, but it seems like lots of folks are struggling. Hey, I'll struggle right along with you. I'm not having the best of times now--thoughts about getting trashed have been way more frequent. I'm staying the sober course, though.

This isn't easy...I'm guessing that's why so many relapse.

If you feel like sh!t while sober, you are not a failure. You are human. It's okay to be human. If feeling like crap is seriously interfering with your life, get help immediately. I couldn't get more than 80 days sober in a row until I got help for my depression.

Just hang in there. Reach out for help before you do something stupid.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. I have been seriously ffed up for the last few days,.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Yes, thanks for that. I HATE winter, especially this year for some reason.
Although, I suspect it IS helping me stay sober...I fear that the summer will be a little more challenging, being outside, up north, on vacation...
One day at a time y'all!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening...

January is my worst month but it's going to be over in three more days. Then just get through February.

Gray skies are going to clear up, put on a happy face!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am completely bummed. Snowed in here in Virginia and my car slid out of the driveway and hit some random car parked across from my driveway. Now I have to deal with insurance, etc. I keep waiting for the magic to happen. I know I need more patience.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes yes yes!! This time of year is bad for a lot of us. The snow, the bitter cold, the big heat bills, the lack of sunlight... I'm hanging on til spring gets here and I can open my windows and sit outside with the dogs enjoying warm breezes and budding trees and being able to walk the dogs twice a day!!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes this time of year is the pits for me! Seasonal Affective Disorder-the acronym SAD describes how I feel for at least the first couple of months of each year. I live alone and have never been much of a social person but when the weather is nice I spend a LOT of time outdoors especially on the weekends in my neighborhood; and so I run into neighbors constantly and visit. But this time of year I regularly go all weekend w/o talking to another human, and even at work I have very little interaction with others. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be 70-72 deg and sunny!!! so I will be spending as much time as possible outside and getting some fresh air into my home. Hopefully this will raise my spirits for awhile because next week we'll be back in the 30s. I really would just like to sleep from about Thanksgiving to Easter...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Thanks. I find winter really hard too. But it too shall pass!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I recently have gotten off my duff and wiped the dust off of my elliptical trainer and started strength training. I can't tell you enough how good it makes me feel. It is a great natural high.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live in a northern climate and snow and cold are ok with me up through the Christmas Holidays. But on January 2nd I'm ready for spring. Unfortunately January must first be endured and it sucks. Snow and cold but worst of all for me, no sunlight. I think we have had 1 sunny day this month. But January is almost over, and I tell myself that February is a short month. Someday when I am rich I will spend January on a tropical island.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't stand this weather, it seems to be always DARK, it's too cold, i've endured the snow all month and January is dragging on forever...it's a balancing act to walk on the ice.

today i sat in a traffic snarl because some poor pedestrian got hit by a car near the entrance to several parking areas.

I would like nothing more to go home and wait for the mess of winter to be over....but I really try to push forward and count my blessings and accomplishments however small they are seeming.

every day we are one day closer to spring...but it is snowing outside again right now...
Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in Eastern Canada, and this winter has been pretty good so far. We have a bit of snow, but the sidewalks and roads are all clear. It's above zero today so it's pleasant enough to get outside for a long walk. We did have a cold week last week, and it's not fun when you just don't want to be outside.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello all I live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and it's not to bad until we get our next storm from Lake superior although we did receive and inch over nite last nite the temp right now is 19 degrees out
Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Beautiful kitties, Anna.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think what is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year was a week or so ago. I can tell when I am sick of constant gray in the sky. It's ironic that some of the most visually beautiful days (for blue sky and sunlight) take place when it is really cold. Then I am able to appreciate when the snow falls again, because that is USUALLY a sign that it is going to warm up relatively speaking.

The weather I tend to resent is toward (or in) March, when you get the wind and it's constantly wet.

I noticed that my mood was improving quite a bit this past month when I was making sure I was up well in advance of the sunrise. I get a sense of accomplishment out it to begin with, but I think there's a benefit to taking in the advancing light (hopefully a sunrise and not just gray lit up).
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thx for sharing Bam! I personally am a warmer weather kinda chick so moving to Germany a few years back and adjusting to the gloomy overcast winters definitely was rough.

There are days I am out and about and just feel blah with the grey days here but like you shared.....I reach out when I feel my mood is down or if I don't feel so good.

No matter what kind of weather or day I am having....my sobriety is #1.

Thx for posting this.....I was just thinking about the cruddy weather and how it is affecting my chi....just the other day as a matter of fact
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bamboozie, Thanks for this post. This week has been a struggle. Maybe it is the weather. I've done tons of cardio this week which does help but just don't feel ... happy. Thoughts of drinking keep creeping in my mind. 28 days sober and feel physically so much better. I keep remembering the mess I was a month ago. I cannot go back to that place. I've had weird memory lapses this week. I get ready to say or do something and my mind goes blank for a minute.

I'm sure this will pass and hopefully better days are ahead.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yea..Usually I would be feeling the same way. I hate winter. Especially with the rediculous amount of snow we have. I'm a Florida girl. I dont like this cold wet sloshy crap. But after the past 4 mos. I could roll around butt nakey in a snow pile and be ok with it.
I know boredom gets my wheels grindin. And Bam is right. We are human. Life sint always going to be rainbows and lollipops. But the clouds will disappear. Just hang tight.

My quote of the day. Live through it or die from it. You decide.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bam, I share your misery. This seems to be the longest winter ever. I remember when I was drinking I never noticed or cared what the weather was like - so I guess it's good we're all feeling the gray & damp of winter. At least we are feeling!

43 days 'til spring for many of us.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
where the light is

I read somewhere that it's not the weather that makes us feel depressed. It's our own thinking. I can be happy or miserable no matter what the weather is!

That being said, it's effin' cold out there...