Suboxone addiction??

Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone addiction??

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to jump right in and ask my questions and hopefully be able to help someone else along the way....Ok this all started some years ago (idk how long cuz he has never been very honest) My husband has always been one to expiriment with different drugs (mostly b4 we got together) and he has always been a pot head. I told him b4 we ever married that I didn't like drugs, and it was them or me, and he said he chose me...anyways, apparently along the way, he became addicted to pain killers (vics, oxy and anything else he could get ahold of), and this addiction went on for YEARS and i honestly had no idea...he continued working and while we didnt have the best marriage, he was not what i always envisioned a drug addict to be (besides the fact that he was super skinny). Well he began working with some guys that supposedly had the same problem he had, and they introduced him to heroin, said it was cheaper and they could get it easily, he started snorting heroin....I found all of this out because he was arrested one night at a park...he went to rehab for 5 days, and the courts required him to go to drug school (4 saturdays) and that was it, he was in the clear, no record, nothing (he was arrested with heroin, oxy, xanax, and weed)
A few days after getting out of rehab, he found a dr that prescribed suboxone, (this was 2 1/2 years ago) 8mg, and he has been on this same dose since. There were times he took more pills a day, and then would call the dr. and he would just go in and get more pills. I've never used drugs, but I don't think this sounds right. I've told him that he needs to get off this stupid medicine, i feel like its a legal addiction, but he has no desire of trying to get off of it. he has never been to an NA meeting, or anything, and I just don't see how he is any less addicted than he was 3 years ago. I'm so tired of dealing with it, and fighting about it.....anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I thought I would chime in. Since in essence my AW has currently been on Suboxone for the last ~4 years.

Regardless of what people say, Suboxone is an opiate. It is generally used to taper people off of large doses of opiates and the idea is to minimize withdrawls. I guess that compared to Methadone it does have some advantages as it tends to saturate the opiate receptors quicker so as far as I know you can't really OD on Suboxone (unless you're mixing drugs) and it has built-in anti-abuse mechanisms so you can't inject/smoke/snort it without going into instant withdrawls.

One thing my wife claims is that there is no "high" from Suboxone. Having taken a few doses myself over the past few years (for dental pain where over the counter stuff just wasn't cutting it) I can say it's effect is different than taking some regular pain killers but as far as I am concerned, it is still mood altering.

Another problem with Suboxone that most people don't know until they decide to get off it is the really long half-life of it in your system. Most opiates have half-lives of about 4-8h (which means half the medication is out of your system by then). In the case of Suboxone, the half-life is around 36h. It is good in a way because 1 dose/day will generally do the trick but also means that withdrawals also are also longer. So most addicts when switched to Suboxone are essentially trading a 3-5 day withdrawal period for a 2-4 week one later on. So in the end it is just bound to backfire.

In reality, Suboxone is just a tool which should be used to help addicts taper down from high dose opiate use. But from what I've read it does seem like alot of Dr. just put people on it and then never really work with the patient on a taper plan. Obviously, my AW having been on it for 4 years, just shows how her Dr. could care less about taking her off the stuff and getting her clean.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My brother has been on Suboxone for about five years. I always felt similar to you, that he has only traded one addiction for another. I really have trouble accepting that as addiction recovery.
Plus, at least in my brothers case, he may no longer be able to use heroin or other opiates because the Suboxone. But he didn't exclusively use heroin and opiates, he also used cocaine/crack, alcohol, and pretty much anything else he could get his hands on. So he still ends using those.
Suboxone may be a very valid tool/step in the recovery process. But it is certainly not, at least in my opinion, a cure or treatment for addiction.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is still alot to my story, but I didnt want my post to be so long that nobody would want to read it...Some people tell me I'm such a strong person for helping him and sticking by him, is it that, or am I just stupid??? I have changed alot since all this has happened, not so much for the better...I'm pretty sure I'm depressed, I feel hatred and resentment toward him that I never thought possible. The worst part is, is that he is nicer to me now than he has been in years, and its like i just dont give a damn. I believe the reason I stick around is because we have 3 kids together, I'm 31 and we've been together since we were 17, and he is pretty much all I know.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am fairly new here and am sure others may have more detailed advice.

But in general, with addiction, the one main thing you have to come to grips with is the 3 C's. You didn't CAUSE the addiction, you can't CONTROL the addiction and you can't CURE it. The fact he is on Suboxone does not mean he is in recovery and may just be more of a "functioning addict" at the moment.

In the end, you have to think about what you want for yourself and the kids. What you are willing to live with and then you have to define boundaries based on this and stick to those.

Sebastien
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pokerprrincess View Post
I'm so tired of dealing with it, and fighting about it.....anyone have any suggestions?
Work the recovery program you wish he would.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My son has been on Suboxone from a little over a year & 1/2. He is slowly starting to take control of his life. If taking the Suboxone helps him to stay away from pain killers or heroin, than I don't think it's bad. I realize he may eventually want to stop taking Suboxone and from what I have read on the Suboxone Forum, it won't be easy - in fact will be very difficult. But that is for further down the road - no need to worry about that today.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tam

polerprrincess, sadly we have excuses to stay as much as they have excuses to use.
I feel your pain, I went through the same thing. Please watch out for yourself and keep getting support. I am thankful I finally did as I got to the point of anger and depression that was truly scary for me. I never thought I would get out of the despair I was in.
Im doing much better now, not 100% as I know it will take time, I have alot of wounds to heal from being in the marriage and living with addiction. but please know you need to educate yourself and keep seeking support it will get better for you..