Notices

Somebody Help Me

Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somebody Help Me

Okay so here I am...I am about to leave the system and go out into the real world. Yes I have some sobriety behind me, but to me it is not the same as sobriety in real society. So I need to start at the begining of all this. Inhave gone to a few outside meetings, but to be honest I am scared to speak. I need to understand these stepsand reading the book by myself has done me no good. Please help.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Nancy,welcome
Nancy,I was scared to speak at first ,so I just listened.It did me good.I did get a sponsor,but it took me a little while.I would suggest you look for a lady in the group to help you
also over at xaspeakers.com
there are quite a few downloads on the steps you can listen to that may help you get a better grasp on things for the time being

if there are big book step study groups around,that may be a good place to go
Old 11-06-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its scary stuff right.?..........life in the wide screen.

Recently i was in contact with a guy just about to leave primary care/treatment and feels the same....exactly the same......scared the bottle is gonna fall out the sky and pour itself down his throat.......very fragile and frightened.

Try to relax.........have a set of things you want to do for sustained recovery and contentment.

I suggest........strongly suggest these go at the top of your list.

Connect immediately with a local AA group...you can call regional AA and ask if it possible for someone from you local group to come see you before you leave....and if possible tag a ride to the meeting..

ASAP.......Ask someone at that group, if they will guide you through the BB and take the necessary steps to recover from alcoholism.
Someone with experience in doing this....and someone of the same sex is preferable....

If you get no response then try another meeting.....

Use SR as a spring board for information and experience of the 12 steps...loads of girls on 12 step support whom would only be too happy to share there experience with you..

Dont worry too much about talking/sharing at a meeting yet......it will come and your be able to share your experience with the current step your on..

Oh and nancy.............welcome to SR........you are not alone.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community......

Glad to know you are heading into a sober future
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is your situation? Are you going back to work or school? When I got out of rehab, I had to get a simple job in retail (part-time at first) so that I could make my sobriety my priority. I did 90 in 90 (meetings, that is)--actually, more than that, because sometimes I would hit two meetings a day. I also got a sponsor immediately (this sponsor does not have to be your forever sponsor, just someone temporary... which might or might not turn out to be permanent). This is what I did over four years ago, and I stayed sober for 4+ years--until I stopped making meetings, stopped working with a sponsor, and stopped therapy. Things didn't start crashing down all at once, but little by little, until I finally found myself drinking again (my "controlled" drinking phase, which I do NOT recommend, because I was miserable with the obsession for more). Anyway, I did that for nine months, until I finally surendered again 15 days ago. I am working the program, have a great new sponsor (whom I call everyday and email throughout the day if I need to), and go to as many meetings as I can. I am really ready, No more research needed. And, as someone else said, all you have to do right now is listen in meetings, keep an open mind, and just do what is right in front of you: Keep it in the day (just for today), and don't get ahead of yourself. Best to you. You will be fine. Just keep telling yourself that!