View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
viavai

What is your situation? Are you going back to work or school? When I got out of rehab, I had to get a simple job in retail (part-time at first) so that I could make my sobriety my priority. I did 90 in 90 (meetings, that is)--actually, more than that, because sometimes I would hit two meetings a day. I also got a sponsor immediately (this sponsor does not have to be your forever sponsor, just someone temporary... which might or might not turn out to be permanent). This is what I did over four years ago, and I stayed sober for 4+ years--until I stopped making meetings, stopped working with a sponsor, and stopped therapy. Things didn't start crashing down all at once, but little by little, until I finally found myself drinking again (my "controlled" drinking phase, which I do NOT recommend, because I was miserable with the obsession for more). Anyway, I did that for nine months, until I finally surendered again 15 days ago. I am working the program, have a great new sponsor (whom I call everyday and email throughout the day if I need to), and go to as many meetings as I can. I am really ready, No more research needed. And, as someone else said, all you have to do right now is listen in meetings, keep an open mind, and just do what is right in front of you: Keep it in the day (just for today), and don't get ahead of yourself. Best to you. You will be fine. Just keep telling yourself that!