Notices

Thanks SR and AA

Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks SR and AA

I posted the other day for "tips" on getting support numbers at an AA meeting and how I was going to meetings and not getting numbers.

I kept going to meetings and today I asked a girl sitting next to me about where there are woman only meetings.

She got up and walked away, came back with a paper with every woman at this mixed meetings phone number!!!!

It was the nicest thing I had done to me in a long time

I gave AA a try years ago but I don't think I was ready at the time to give up my addiction, but I AM now and am so glad AA is there!!!

I relate to almost every word spoken!!!

Feeling grateful and thankful for the support of SR & AA!!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Well, we're glad to have you!!! And soooo glad yer back. Did ya know we've been praying for you to return? We have! That's what that moment of silence is for!

I lost my license shortly after I got to AA. I couldn't get to meetings all that often and it was bothering me. I mentioned it to my court-ordered therapist and 'she' told me I should stand up during announcements and say I'm new, can't drive, and am looking for rides to meetings. Being the good alkie that I am.... I decided that would be too embarrassing so I didn't do it. About a month later she asked me how my "announcements" were working out....amazingly I didn't lie and told the truth. LOL.....she called me a p***y! Next meeting, I made those announcements.

Ya know.....standing up like that asking for help was about THE last thing in the world I wanted to do. I got all red....self-conscious....and felt like a loser. What I GOT out of it was an awesome new sponsor, about 60+ names and numbers of ppl I'm proud to know as quite close friends, and it got me more into the center of AA - all of which have saved my LIFE.

Stick around Jamison.....it DOES keep getting better and better.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks!

I'm glad you are here and in the rooms of AA
Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm very pleased for you....

for the kind words about AA and SR
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

At my groups it's "standard procedure" to pass around a meeting list for phone numbers for newcomers. The men provide numbers for the men, and the women for the women.

Ya never know when you might need those--I had a sewer COMPLETLY flood my basement on my fourth day sober. I called one of the women on my list (I wasn't even sure which one she was of the many women I met at my first meetings), and she got me calmed down, then called me back later to make sure I was OK. Later that night, a neighbor knocked on my door and put a cold beer in my hand, saying she "figured I could use it." Maybe, if I hadn't made that call, I would have taken it. As it was, I was able to refuse it, and I haven't had a serious urge to drink since.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
I posted the other day for "tips" on getting support numbers at an AA meeting and how I was going to meetings and not getting numbers.

I kept going to meetings and today I asked a girl sitting next to me about where there are woman only meetings.

She got up and walked away, came back with a paper with every woman at this mixed meetings phone number!!!!

It was the nicest thing I had done to me in a long time

I gave AA a try years ago but I don't think I was ready at the time to give up my addiction, but I AM now and am so glad AA is there!!!

I relate to almost every word spoken!!!

Feeling grateful and thankful for the support of SR & AA!!
Do you have an AA Directory? That would let you know where the woman's only meetings are. If you don't, ask for one at your next meeting.

It's good that someone finally reached out and got you some numbers. I think the best way to return the favor is to call every single one of those numbers. I guarantee you your calls to some of those people will be helping them as much as it helps you.

Even if it's just to say hello, give them a call. You'll probably get plenty of voice mails. But so be it. Hopefully they'll call you back. If not, give them another call the next day. You'd be surprised how glad some of those people will be that you're calling them.

I learned a long time ago that AA can't help me if I'm a closed book. The ones who reach out and really want to stay sober will have a better chance at staying sober. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey Jamie ,all you have to do is to call all those numbers ,never give up hope *big hugshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

tater13....Welcome to SR....
Old 10-09-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"It's good that someone finally reached out and got you some numbers. I think the best way to return the favor is to call every single one of those numbers. I guarantee you your calls to some of those people will be helping them as much as it helps you.

Even if it's just to say hello, give them a call. You'll probably get plenty of voice mails. But so be it. Hopefully they'll call you back. If not, give them another call the next day. You'd be surprised how glad some of those people will be that you're calling them.

I learned a long time ago that AA can't help me if I'm a closed book. The ones who reach out and really want to stay sober will have a better chance at staying sober
."

Well the phone feels like it weighs 500 pounds...but I AM going to call the numbers I have gotten today.

I probably should have the other day, but I had either my addiction or negative thinking saying not to.

I prayed on it last nite and I feel I have the courage to call today and I will.

Next is getting me to share at a meeting. But I want this badly enough so I know I will.

Thanks again
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well the phone feels like it weighs 500 pounds...but I AM going to call the numbers I have gotten today.
It took me a while to pick up the phone and even longer to realise that its ok to just pick up the phone for a natter or to arrange to meet for coffee...quite a thing to find out that people were actually pleased to here from me...a lot of us have had to become quite self sufficient in addiction with regard to feelings and emotions, actually experts in supressing them so you will feel uncomfortable reaching out at first but it does get easier:-)

IMO picking up the phone once a decision to drink/use has been made by an individual is at best postponing the inevitable so do start calling now and get yourself a sponsor and work the steps asap!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
tater13....Welcome to SR....
thanks Carol

"It's good that someone finally reached out and got you some numbers. I think the best way to return the favor is to call every single one of those numbers. I guarantee you your calls to some of those people will be helping them as much as it helps you.

I learned a long time ago that AA can't help me if I'm a closed book. The ones who reach out and really want to stay sober will have a better chance at staying sober
."

I probably should have the other day, but I had either my addiction or negative thinking saying not to.

I prayed on it last nite and I feel I have the courage to call today and I will.

Next is getting me to share at a meeting. But I want this badly enough so I know I will.

Thanks again
yep I totally understand , it is hard at first and takes you awhile to get comfortable enough to pick up the phone and call without getting nervous and anxious but I guess you have the good reason to call one of those numbers right now ,you wanna quit badly I bet it gives you enough motivation to do things that you'd normally avoid, I totally understand how's it like when you feel the urge to do something for yourself cuz you can't live this way nomore and how bad you need to change that it overshadows your anxiety ,I've experienced it before it totally changed my life
anyways I wish you luck ,hope you find a good sponsor soon *HUGS*
Old 10-09-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I picked up the phone and called.

I got 5 out of the 7 women.

Will try the other 2 later or tommorrow.

Everyone was nice and said to use the number anytime.

Thanks (((everyone))) for your support here too!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I picked up the phone and called.

I got 5 out of the 7 women.

Will try the other 2 later or tommorrow.

Everyone was nice and said to use the number anytime.

Thanks (((everyone))) for your support here too!!!
Remember that lesson, please remember it.....
You wanted to not call but you took the action anyway and you felt better for it.

I've learned that (within reason of course) the more I do in or for AA that I don't necessarily want to do - the better I feel afterward.

Some new members think AA is a program of thinking - of reprogramming the brain or something. While most therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and so on would say that's a good way to go, time has proven that ACTION (often in spite of wanting to do it or not) speeds the healing process up a LOT. AA really IS the easy path to sobriety and to a life that you can enjoy...but it requires ACTION.

Good job on picking up that phone.......and keep doing it.

Personally, I'd LOOOOVE to have newcomers give me a call to say "yer # is on my sheet, I'm freaking out, and I need someone to talk to." One of my big motivations to stay sober is to be around to help others get over the hump and to help them have fun in sobriety - that's one of the ways I have fun in sobriety. It's rewarding to help other ppl......so Jamison.....you keep giving ppl like me the opportunity to return the favor they were given by allowing them to help you.