View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Well, we're glad to have you!!! And soooo glad yer back. Did ya know we've been praying for you to return? We have! That's what that moment of silence is for!

I lost my license shortly after I got to AA. I couldn't get to meetings all that often and it was bothering me. I mentioned it to my court-ordered therapist and 'she' told me I should stand up during announcements and say I'm new, can't drive, and am looking for rides to meetings. Being the good alkie that I am.... I decided that would be too embarrassing so I didn't do it. About a month later she asked me how my "announcements" were working out....amazingly I didn't lie and told the truth. LOL.....she called me a p***y! Next meeting, I made those announcements.

Ya know.....standing up like that asking for help was about THE last thing in the world I wanted to do. I got all red....self-conscious....and felt like a loser. What I GOT out of it was an awesome new sponsor, about 60+ names and numbers of ppl I'm proud to know as quite close friends, and it got me more into the center of AA - all of which have saved my LIFE.

Stick around Jamison.....it DOES keep getting better and better.