Notices

Pink Cloud?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pink Cloud?

Hi all,

Went to a meeting last night and was talking with a guy outside before the meeting began. He asked how I was feeling, to which I replied that I'm feeling better than I have in a long time and haven't had any cravings to drink for a couple weeks. This guy has eight yrs sober, in AA. He told me I was on a pink cloud and that it wouldn't last forever, and to prepare myself.

I walked away wondering just why would a guy say such depressing stuff to someone who only has three weeks without a drink? Even if I'm on a pink cloud, or blue or bright raspberry red, it doesn't matter to me right now, I feel better than I did when I was hungover feeling like sh!t, and I'm gonna stick with it, thank you very much.

So I wonder now, is recovery some depressing, gotta be scared of feeling too good kinda mess? I didn't stop drinking to be scared, in fact being scared is one reason why I wanted to stop drinking.

So, how long does the pink cloud thing last and what should I expect thereafter? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

While I somewhat agree with what he said, he is lousy at delivery and timing.

The "pink cloud" is what some people call early sobriety where we are all excited and have a lot of enthusiasm going for us. It's easy to say "I'm done with drinking and won't poison myself with that stuff ever again." After a while, that enthusiasm tends to lessen and we really realize that living a sober life means we must constantly be vigilant. Not scared or fret and worry, but vigilant. Making the right choices and not putting our sobriety at risk. These are things we will have to continue for the rest of our lives. I guess another way of putting it would be...the "new" wears off.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi suki,

I've been able to put together a couple of months without a drink twice this year, but the truth is I didn't really want to, so it was truly a struggle of wills, so to speak. For some reason, I feel different this time, like I have a huge chance to change my entire way of thinking and living, and I feel confident that there are people who can really help me, that HP isn't done with me yet, and my life may actually have some positive purpose for which I am unaware at this time. It just seems strange to me that someone with eight years would be so negative. I've had enough of that in life, and now seek a totally different level of living.

Thanks for your insight, it helps alot.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I wish for you every success! Just stay vigilant and make wise choices and you should be just fine.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Poo.....I say to all the negetive members of AA.

Dallas....
Read my sig line for my experience.
By living a spirit directed life and
sharing it.....my pink cloud sails on....
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey firestorm...

Some people tell me that they got on a "pink cloud" and never got off, and, I believe them.... However, I am a full grown man.... I know life has it's ups and downs... no one needs to tell me that.... I try to enjoy those happy moments and use the spiritual tools I've learned in AA to get through the not so happy ones...

You are doin' great, brother.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This guy has eight yrs sober, in AA. He told me I was on a pink cloud and that it wouldn't last forever, and to prepare myself.
crap.

I love the way some use sweeping statements because thats how it was with them so it must be the case with you.

This is my experience......it may differ from yours but i have friends that feel the same.......anyhow, much better to have your own experience...

My mind has been renewed........i will tell you hand on heart....i feel born again.
I dont recognised the old me one bit.......i dont think...wish...or yearn for a drink.
The problem has gone.....not sometimes...not on good days.....EVERY DAY.

I was a gutter violent drunk...... skulking around the streets looking for something to drink and something to eat.....drink first food later...then something to steal.

Today i am respected in my community....i do voluntary work for elderly and blind.
I sponsor guys like me.........sharp end drunks.....
I live in a nice house.........with a hot wife (she told me to say that)
I have a decent job.......i provide for my family........and i have a good relationship with my kids.

This is my pink cloud........i walk around with a grin on my face most days.

and the key to this for me..........12 steps.
simple instructions......written in a precise way.......by drunks like me.

Its not some temporary fluff cloud thingy........im ten years sober and feel the same.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

awesome post shaun.
im on a "pink cloud" most of the time too...i too am useful.i have nice wee job that allows me to interact with the human race (something i could never do before...i was the jekyl and hyde character).good relationship with my family that is getting better over time.i work with other alcoholics and wake up most mornings with a clear head and look forward to what the day is going to bring.
like shaun said...12 steps,precise instructions.......
good on you dallas...enjoy being sober..it is not to be endured.
be thankful that you arnt living in that guys head for today.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know, i have heard it all from different people in AA. Some say the pink cloud can last forever, some say not, some say they never felt it. . .some say almost everyone relapses at some point, some say you never have to. ..some are happy in recovery, some aren't.

I choose to make my life and my recovery mine. I listen to other people's experiences, and learn what I can. But this is my life, and I will grab it and make the most of it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
I walked away wondering just why would a guy say such depressing stuff to someone who only has three weeks without a drink?
Because it's true!! I wasn't there so I don't know how the message was delivered but the fact that he took the time to deliver the message is good. I felt great physically almost immediately and I acted as if I'd found a new toy at Christmas and wanted to show everyone. Not saying that everyone acts this way but there's a tendency to get cocky and start thinking things might not have been as bad as I thought so why not have some fun. That's the danger. I was told to "stand guard at the portal of thought" and to be "constantly vigilant." To me that meant to go ahead and enjoy the gifts of not drinking but don't get complacent. Remember, God talks to us in strange ways and sometimes He's not all that gentle with the delivery.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If your pink cloud runs on gratitude and you keep the tank full, you can keep riding it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

D.....I'm HIGHLY opposed to what that guy said on one hand.....and I completely agree with it on the other.

Like several have said, that feeling is what the feeling of being connected to God feels like. Once you're recovered, you WON'T get those compulsions to drink...and you'll generally feel calm, happy, and so forth.

That said, a lot of ppl get that feeling early in recovery because they have been asking God to help them.....God does.......then we do the worst thing possible - we start to think this good feeling is the result of "us deciding not to drink, us being in better control of our life, and us managing our problems differently and more successfully." Following that tasty little revelation, most of us stopped praying, slowed down in working the program...... we got lazy. No surprise, we alcoholism comes roaring back full force - only now we know what we're missing out on (those happy days) so we feel extra bad.......and guess what takes away that "extra bad feeling?" -- another drink. Hello relapse!

Falling from that cloud isn't mandatory..... but the "look out" warning comes from (hopefully) a position of love. In other words - "I love u man so get ready for that fall because it appears you may be resting on your laurels." U keep calling your sponsor, work those steps / read the material / etc even harder.....each day......and you can stay on that cloud. Ease off....take it easy....sit back and enjoy your new-found freedom too much and.... look the F-out.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Thanks for your post, it really rang true for me, that is exactly why I have been put off going to meetings and sticking with the programme etc. I was sick and tired of people telling me stuff like that, as soon as I started to feel better and really good someone would say something like that and I would feel it was almost as if they wanted me to feel bad, nobody seems to like to celebrate feeling good and if you do feel good there is always somebody to put you down. I don't do meetings any more, I can't stand them, the same old record. I know this is my opinion and I'm not suggesting you follow me but I just had to reply as I had experienced the same feedback as you have.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
If your pink cloud runs on gratitude and you keep the tank full, you can keep riding it.
Ya, I like that one, sounds good to me too. But what Suki had to say about vigilance is absolute. There really isn't anything to fear. I guess what the guy might have meant was, the feelings of greatness you have now will eventually leave, and to me that was okay because I knew what I had to do in order to stay sober. By the time I got around to working the Steps, I knew there was plenty of work that I had to do and from other peoples experiences I had a feeling that all of the work would be worth it. And it is.

It was also mentioned to me that it is okay to have your head in the clouds, as long as my feet are planted firmly on the ground.

Don't worry about it a lot though, in my opinion you would be wasting a lot of time. Enjoy the feelings that you are having now and even if they do leave you, they will return. That is to say, as long as you do the work. But there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

I was typing this before DayTrader posted. There ya go, everything he had to say is the truth.

So keep on truckin.

Harry

Last edited by Harry01854; 09-29-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have read each one and now have a headache, so my pink cloud must've left for the day, lol.

I'm sure my headache isn't related to the replies, more from the heat we're experiencing right now, it's 100 degrees outside.

Today I feel as if my efforts over the last couple of years to stop drinking and learn how to live sober are beginning to come together in a way I hadn't anticipated and it feels different this time. I'm sure most of you know how many times I've come here cryin' the blues from another relapse, hating myself, hating life, and hating booze. I don't hate booze today, I don't hate myself today and I'm grateful to be alive and have a chance to live my life differently. I know there's much work to do and that I can't take my change in attitude for granted, that I need help each day, but that's ok today. I am taking steps each day as directed toensure that I continue to grow spiritually, clean up my side of the street, and help others in any way I can. That's all good.

I actually like the guy who said this to me, and after further thought hope that he was being helpful in his own way. I am going to ride this pink cloud as long as I can, and hopefully by continuing to make progress, that will be a long time.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The pink cloud is a our way of explaining the initial excitement and enthusiasm that any normal person feels for a new experience, e.g. the honeymoon period of a relationship, the thrill and awe of moving to a new city etc...obviously once the initial period of fascination wears off that is when the person will really find out how they feel about the person, place or thing...

In the case of sobriety just make sure you have worked the 12 steps and got your spiritual experience then when the initial 'pink cloud' starts to wain a new pink cloud will take its place and this is one that never need end...the growth of the new you on your new spiritual path...

Obviously after working the 12 steps and continuing to do so you will not be insane anymore so will be living life on lifes terms on your new pink cloud and not expecting a parade in your honour everyday you wake up sober:-)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post

So, how long does the pink cloud thing last and what should I expect thereafter? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Depends on how many and how thoroughly you work the steps. Do these sound like "Pink Clouds"?
__________________________________________________ ___________

2nd Step Promises (Page 50)
they found that a new power,
peace,
happiness, and
sense of direction flowed into them.

3rd Step Promises (Page 63)
We had a new Employer.
He provided what we needed
We became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs
We became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life. As
We felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as
We discovered we could face life successfully, as
We became conscious of His presence,
We began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter.
We were reborn.

4th Step Promises (Page 70)
We have begun to learn tolerance,
patience and
good will toward all men, even our enemies, for
we look on them as sick people.
We have listed the people we have hurt by our conduct, and are willing to straighten out the past if we can.

5th Step Promises (Page 75)
We are delighted.
We can look the world in the eye.
We can be alone at perfect peace and ease.
Our fears fall from us.
We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now
we begin to have a spiritual experience.
The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly.
We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

9th Step Promises (Page83),
We will be amazed before we are halfway through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone,
we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

10th Step Promises (Page 84)
We have ceased fighting anything or anyone —even alcohol.
For by this time sanity will have returned.
We will seldom be interested in liquor.
If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame.
We react sanely and normally, and
We will find that this has happened automatically.
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it.
We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation.
We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected.
We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed.
It does not exist for us.
We are neither cocky nor are we afraid.
That is our experience.
That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

11th Step Promises (Page 86)
We can employ our mental faculties with assurance
God gave us brains to use.
Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane
Our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.
We relax and take it easy.
We don’t struggle.
We are often surprised how the right answers come

12th Step Promises (Page 89)
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics.
It works when other activities fail.
Life will take on a new meaning
To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends-this is an experience you must not miss.
We know you will not want to miss it.
Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Boleo,

Looks like I have tons to look forward to. Thanks for that post. I must admit I'm still new at reading the BB, even tho I've had one off and on for years. I've tossed it out a couple times, only to replace it, lol. It's starting to make sense. I still have to force myself to put down the remote and pick up the book, lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think the only experience I can talk about where the pink cloud is concerned is when I gave up smoking.

I had a few attempts over a few years, some hours long, weeks long, months long.

One I remember, when I was doing it with a smoking cessation service springs to mind.

When I had done a morning, I was amazed.
Then a day - wow!
Then two days, what a result!!
Then a week - I could not believe it. Loved being smoke free.
Then two weeks - so happy - no stinking of smoke.
Then three weeks - how good was I.
Then a month - a whole month - what a milestone!

Then bang - the depression hit. Was this it? Feeling envious of other smokers. Watching that mellow look come over their faces and feeling really jealous.

The pink cloud was really over. I remember even asking the nurse who gave me scripts for nicotine patches that if I started again, could I come back and try another time!!!

I have been successful since - no smoking for two years.
But I'm still wary.

Wishing you well

xx
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by fire
So, how long does the pink cloud thing last and what should I expect thereafter?
For me the pink cloud is not an event but an attitude. As long as I persist in a positive attitude...pink clouds abound. Its not the events of "living life on life's terms" that bother me as much as what what attitude I view them.

Long live pink clouds.