Off topic - need your etiquette advice once again

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Off topic - need your etiquette advice once again

Well it was true the "chinese year of the metal Tiger" was going to "take the Dog out of its cave". I was invited to another wedding party this weekend. I am happy because I get to say hi to my friends. After inviting a couple of male friends -BF isn't going- who cancelled at the last time, I thought about bringing the best company I can think of- I am taking my mom with me!

So it is in a party salon, dress is formal, it is in a posh part of the city and starts at 2PM. It will be like a wedding party just without the wedding ceremony. The place may or may not have a garden...

Help! all I know is that I am taking my mom to the hair salon what would you wear?? my mom is 60,how should she dress? which colors are appropiate? dress length?

On the other hand, I love to be "worrying" about this.. my camera is broken but WTF, I will go and buy another one. So I can share pictures here and have the party documented
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

2:00 over here is considered 'high tea' it's daytime formal.

google it, hon.

it's a couple of steps higher than old fashioned church...
LOL for lack of a better way to put it.

Your mom will do great with a dress/jacket ensemble,
sorta like the Queen, just not as dowdy.

And -= US reules are diffy than English rules - you said 'posh' and that
tends me to think you're UK?

here's a place to start -

http://weddings.about.com/od/wedding...earsumme_9.htm

noticed it says hat is appropriate if outside LOL

CRACKS ME UP that the people putting these things on take no consideration what ever that the guests havfe to go out and buy all this crap. LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tc-

i think i'll start living vicariously thru your social life...

2pm wedding. i would wear a cocktail dress. any color would do. whatever you feel confidant in. good high heels, sheer stockings and cocktail length ( mid- calf or at the knees). if you have a dressy coat or wrap, that would complete the look as the party will go onto the evening.

great that you're taking your mother.

naive
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

The whole hat thing is killing me - I gotta see the hat when you get it!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Did I mention that the groom is jew? to make things simpler Oh well I know his family is not traditional -after all he married a protestant...

barb, I of course own nothing like that model is showing, but I get it. Thanks for the very classy suggestion.

I just called my mom and she had told me before "she would think about it".

I mentioned she has to pick something elegant and she told me "you may need to consider going alone". Hum... she almost never gets out anywhere... and she doesn't want to come with me to a .. party? oh well, talk about my abandonment issues. I am glad I got therapy tomorrow!! funny how even a small comment can bring me down...

Breathe...
Ok. Better.

Trying to find time for shopping will be fun...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I hope your mom goes. Either way, have fun! I have no advice about what to wear. I'm lucky to coordinate jeans with a tshirt LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

barb. I am Mexican.. I studied at school with "American English" material, but years ago I studied in a British council to get a certification. So I have it all mixed now.. lol.. I know my English is funny that way... plus the errors I make I never got "phrasal verbs" for instance...

The other day I tried a hat in a shop and some people stared. Yes, it DOES bring others' attention..!

Thanks naive! I of course don't have an elegant coat or wrap either. Ugh!!
It will be fun!! thanks for the guidance
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am learning something about "ballerina length"...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

My mobile phone was replaced-and it has a better camera, so I don't have to buy one, *****!
Pictures coming up next week...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The guy told me "you could ask for a newer mobile ,these are used, do X and Y and you'll have a much nicer mobile". I will request for a better gadget. Funny how being a codie makes me accept less in every area. Just an hour before I hit the mall!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I got the dress. I went for something I can also use for work for one time when I decided to be a "chic geek". It is a dress with leopard motif. It was not that expensive, I LOVE it and it is size 7!! I NEVER bought anything in size 7!! *****! it also has a black belt. I already had good black heels, and I bought a matching black wallet with the bonus 15% they gave me for the dress. I am packing and very tired but happy. I saw some great hats!! but they were too expensive so I will wait for the beach wedding...

Tomorrow, my hair will get dyed by a pro. I need to do my manicure and pedicure and I suck so much at that! I of course am bringing ALL my makeup with me... I love makeup.

I just saw my friend online and he is very happy! I'll be thinking of my dear SR friends, and posting pics once I get back next week. Its been ages since I last went there... there are some XABF memories but instead of falling I will congratulate myself for how much I have changed, and am still changing for the best... counting my blessings.

Have a good weekend!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have fun!

how exciting!

chicory