Notices

Anyone experience this in early sobriety?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone experience this in early sobriety?

I am closing in on a month of sobriety.

My complete wide awake all nite insomnia is slowly fading into a few hours of sleep, so that is good.

I have been eating healthy, exercising and doing PMR. (almost everyday)

I have found that I sometimes overcompensate with smoking heavily or overeating ecspecially when I feel anxious.

Anyone go through this?

Thanks in advance.

Jamison
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia...yes!! It took me a couple of months before I could sleep all night.

Smoking...yes!! I smoked a lot more the first few months, but that has decreased.

Overeating...not really. I drastically changed my diet when I quit drinking so I could keep that under control.

What I finally did was started exercising to help and it sounds like you have already done that. It has helped me not only with being able to sleep, but also with the smoking. I'm down to about 1/2 pack a day now instead of the two I was at. Hang in there. It will get better it just takes time.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I still smoked then i would probably be chaining it right now, but i quit a couple years ago--cigs anyway. That being said, since I have quit drinking & smoking weed I have thought about smoking cigs & I have been vegging out a lot more than normal. I've actually checked out the eating disorder thread on here (under special interests) & joined the 100 days f no obvious sweets--my definition of that is: not eating food with added sugar.

I think it's normal to feel like filling one "addiction with another"--like we're compensating .

I can relate with the insomnia too, but I've always been a night person--been falling asleep with a book in hand these days, sometimes with the light still on...

Congrats on close to a month! I just got to two weeks today, feels nice
Old 05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
I am closing in on a month of sobriety.

My complete wide awake all nite insomnia is slowly fading into a few hours of sleep, so that is good.

I have been eating healthy, exercising and doing PMR. (almost everyday)

I have found that I sometimes overcompensate with smoking heavily or overeating ecspecially when I feel anxious.

Anyone go through this?

Thanks in advance.

Jamison
Congrads on your nearly 1 month Jamison! About your overcompensating, uh . . . yes. I did too in the beginning. Had to find a way to change because after all its what we do and I wanted to "do" differently. Its turning to a vice to deal with emotions. You will find healthier ways of handling life I am sure.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

When I quit I went on a a binge of candy and other sweets. I joined the 100 day OS free thread here to break that vicious cycle.
Congrats on your sober time and good luck going forward.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also could not sleep early in recovery, I ate alot (but I needed to), I also picked up smoking. Hang in there this to shall pass.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-13-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up been there

In the first month or a little longer I went through the same thing. over time I found that this will soon pass, and that I was able to settle down to a routine. I'm a smoker who has tried without to much success in stoppping, I guess it is just one thing at a time. Remember to keep it simple and just one day at a time . Wish another 24 and keep up the good work. mapletree from calgary alberta can.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well...

I had insomnia at first as well. It was horrible. I am three months clean and looking back I see now it got and GETS steadily better as time goes by.

The eating thing is the point that struck a chord with me. I have always eaten a lot of sweets, and done a lot of what I call grazing. I like sweets but I also like fruit a lot. That said, shortly after detoxing I started eating a lot. I though it was okay since I hadn't eaten properly in years. However I found myself eating larger portions of things...kinda like I had smoked marijauna and now had the munchies. I would eat two big bowls of cereal and then about 30 minutes later I would have the urge to eat something else. I literally remember feeling that I was bored and my answer was ok lets go find something to eat. SO now I have put on 10 pounds and have a little gut going on. I have started walking and riding my bike again so I hope this comes off because I can't stand the little gut I have. I have started watching what I eat as well, but I think I can say that I could see myslef going a little overboard on the food if I keep the grazing up. I guess it didn't help that I have been convalescing a horribly broken leg for the past 6 months but now I can exercise without too much discomfort. I don;t know what else to do.

I started smoking again a few weeks before my detox ( secretly) and as the day approached for me to stop taking my suboxone I was heading out for smokes a lot more often than before. I knew I was going to feel like crap for days on end and as I went headfirst into my detox i kicked the cigarrettes as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

Yup,
My first 5 months i was a candy machine, i always exercises and continued to do that. I drink about 5 powerade Zeros a day and water as well, this is good to flush the system and stay hydrated with a will to continue my exercise program. I lost 15 lbs in this time and continued to be at the weight i need to be at, the hardest thing is hearing, being around others who drink. I ditched my first christmas, thanksgiving, fourth of july with friends to get my mindset right.
DO WHAT IS GOOD 4 YOU TO STAY SOBER AND CLEAN. PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND LATER ON IN SOBERITY>
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Okay, I must be the weirdo in the bunch. I am on day 12 and I don't smoke, have been able to sleep much better, and I am eating way better than I was when I was drinking wine in the evenings.
Go figure.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Totally normal, whilst you are working on yourself smoke and eat away!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit smoking five years ago. Sleep has been something of a problem, at eleven days. The eating is out of control: I eat all kinds of c**p all day long. I figure there is plenty of time to deal with that once my sobriety is more secure, so I'm just letting it go. I do exercise every day, mostly walking.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's almost a case of "climbing one mountain at a time", at least for me. I will eat heaps of anything since being sober lol! And I don't mind at all. Candy, chocolate, tons of tea, coffee, ice cream, the list goes on.

The lack of sleep is a killer, and I've been going through it since Day 1 - but for the last few nights I'm able to get a few hours in. Insomnia was once a massive reason that I started on this downward spiral into alcohol since I would use it to fall asleep in the early days of my drinking.

And yep, I'm also a bloody chimney with the smoking right now. Up to 2 + packs a day from a little over 20 sticks. Again, one mountain at a time In my purview it's like this, if there's a substance out there that distracts me from my propensity to booze my face off, then it is my best frikin friend... for now.

Congrats on your month up coming. I'm at Day 20 right now and I really can't believe I am still sober. I love it!! You rock for sticking with this. Sobriety is far cooler than being a pi$$tank all day every day.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hey Jamison, good work on nearly a month without a drink! I felt awesome when I hit that 1-month mark. It's a tremendous milestone. I just passes 50 days myself. But to answer your questions:

Very early, the cigarette smoking was in flux, sometimes very high. I believe this was linked to my food intake. When I was drinking, my particular choice was beer, heavy beer, high in calories. When I stopped drinking, I think my body needed those calories really bad (I figure I was drinking between 900-2500 calories a day), so it wanted food ALL THE TIME. I needed to eat anyway, as at 6'0" and 145 lbs I was definitely undersized. So I was sooooo hungry those first couple weeks. I ate a lot of food, but there were times when I wasn't able to eat, so I'd smoke a lot of cigarettes. Cigarettes act as an appetite suppressor, so I was eating and smoking way too much.

Now I'm exercising every day, and I'm eating an awful lot, but on a pretty regular schedule. I'm gaining weight, which is good for me; I know some people seek to lose weight when they stop drinking, but I'm the opposite. I'm smoking about as much as I did when I was drinking, but I need to quit that. When I sweat while working out my clothes sometimes smell like the smoke in my body (gross!).
Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My intake of sweets has increased in the past year, and I have gained weight –*10 to 15 pounds. A small price to pay for 368 days of sobriety, in my opinion. That said, my goal the next 12 months is to get back to a reasonable weight -- while remaining sober!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

I haven not had any issues (day 6 here of no alcohol and well over a week of no shooting up opiates) never really had a problem with sleeping, if anyhting I sleep wayyy to much right now, but I have a 3 and 1/2 year old (who is in daycare) but I am trying to clean like crazy (my home) b/c I really neglected it during my using espacially the last year at least. I also had a spinal fusion surgery which started all of this pain med addiction but I am in so much physical pain after the claning and not taking any drugs to alleviate the pain and heat/ice. tylenol doesnt do the trick so the only thing sthat helps is sleep but my body mus be also telling me I am healing and need it.

As far as food I have beena sugar monster. Eating more candy than my daughter but the main thing (which I dont believe are too bad for you b/c at least I am getting hydration too ) is I am eating a about 30 (no kidding) ice pops, (I had my husband get the smaller kids size ones so I wouldnt eat so many) but I am def. addicted to them right now especialy w/ it being so hot, me bieng sooo thirsty (am drinking tons of H2O too though) but I love the things cant get enough but its better than a beer or drigs for now so I am sticking to them just for a few more days.
I have been smoking more than I have ever smoked in my life, just sttarted again after my back surgery and then a couple weeks ago I didnt go back to my wonder managment career and job b/c I had stuff and wanted to say home and shoot up and my job was getting in the wway so I just never went back. I hope to quit soon, may have to if I get this job I have a phone interview for right now b.c you can not be in my profession and smoke, you just cant b.c you touch people faces and they CAN NOT smell smoke and I will be terminated without the chance for unemployment b/c the first theing they ask is if I smoke.
Of course I said no but then I will have to cold turkey before I start, if I get it.
The phone interview is now so wish me luck!
I hope any of this info hels, just know you are not alone so many of us are going through exactly these same things...<3 Dream
  # 17 (permalink)  

I haven not had any issues (day 6 here of no alcohol and well over a week of no shooting up opiates) never really had a problem with sleeping, if anyhting I sleep wayyy to much right now, but I have a 3 and 1/2 year old (who is in daycare) but I am trying to clean like crazy (my home) b/c I really neglected it during my using espacially the last year at least. I also had a spinal fusion surgery which started all of this pain med addiction but I am in so much physical pain after the claning and not taking any drugs to alleviate the pain and heat/ice. tylenol doesnt do the trick so the only thing sthat helps is sleep but my body mus be also telling me I am healing and need it.

As far as food I have beena sugar monster. Eating more candy than my daughter but the main thing (which I dont believe are too bad for you b/c at least I am getting hydration too ) is I am eating a about 30 (no kidding) ice pops, (I had my husband get the smaller kids size ones so I wouldnt eat so many) but I am def. addicted to them right now especialy w/ it being so hot, me bieng sooo thirsty (am drinking tons of H2O too though) but I love the things cant get enough but its better than a beer or drigs for now so I am sticking to them just for a few more days.
I have been smoking more than I have ever smoked in my life, just sttarted again after my back surgery and then a couple weeks ago I didnt go back to my wonder managment career and job b/c I had stuff and wanted to say home and shoot up and my job was getting in the wway so I just never went back. I hope to quit soon, may have to if I get this job I have a phone interview for right now b.c you can not be in my profession and smoke, you just cant b.c you touch people faces and they CAN NOT smell smoke and I will be terminated without the chance for unemployment b/c the first theing they ask is if I smoke.
Of course I said no but then I will have to cold turkey before I start, if I get it.
I hope any of this info hels, just know you are not alone so many of us are going through exactly these same things...<3 Dream
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't been a drunky since 2004 and I still don't sleep well most nights. Atleast I know that I will wake up(alive) and sober. I get my best sleep on the nights I walk 4 miles after a early dinner.

This was fun tonight! How do I introduce myself on this site? I am a internet rookie.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never slept much for most of my 20 year drunk. Now I sleep like a baby.
It affects different people different ways I guess.

Please see your Dr if this is causing you distress, Jamison
D