Notices

Did any of you actually feel yourself recovering?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did any of you actually feel yourself recovering?

Hi ... maybe this is a silly question. But I feel stronger everyday and that this is the "summer of recovery" for me. It hasn't been a straight line constantly upward, there have been bumps in the road I must say, but the general trend is upward.

I have made some big changes in my life in addition to cutting out *most* of my alcohol consumption (in the last 7 days I had one glass of wine at dinner on Saturday, no more)...

I have been hangover free, have been exercising every day, have hired an au pair to help me with my kids (that was my biggest problem -- I was so swamped with taking care of my kids that there was nothing left in the tank when it came time to taking care of me), and I even put some money into therapy for myself for the first time in my life. I have learned to let go of a relationship that was going nowhere, to disentangle myself from a couple of toxic friendships that were causing so much drama in my life....Well, in summary, it seems like everything is coming together and I can feel myself crawling out of the hell hole I have been hanging out in for the past year or two.

Did anyone else experience this?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not there yet....But I am very glad that you are! Sounds like things are really improving you!
I am very happy for you!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think each person obviously has his/her own personal experiences. For me I've relapsed several times, and most recently went through a three-week in-patient program. Overall things are going well for me, but I'm in a relatively stress free position at the moment. I have to remain diligent and patient when stress inevitably comes and deal with the stress (my trigger) promptly and productively.

I guess I'm saying it's normal to experiences ups and downs, just like non-alcoholics. Just how we deal with them in recovery is the important distinction. It sounds like you have some resources to help you through (financial and otherwise) and I wish you the best of luck.

BMUS
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You really sound great....Congratulations on your progress..

I consider starting my AA Steps was
the beginning of solid recovery for me.
My mind shifted from sobriety into recovery...

And like you....I did make a lot of necessary positive changes.
All were beneficial and I have no regrets.

All my best to you and your children
Thanks for sharing....
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I felt myself recovering. Not to say that every day is wonderful, but it's better than it would be if I were drinking.

You sound great. I must say that I envy your ability to have one glass of wine. For me that would just be hell.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support! I'm not so overly confident that I feel like I'm "out of the woods" just yet as we are all vulnerable to relapse... but right now I feel like I have the right tools in place to do this (whereas before I was just drowning without a life preserver) Not to mention this website, which I check in with every single day and read all the threads. The limited social drinking is an experiment. If I can do it, say limit my drinking to 1-2 glasses of wine per week, I will allow it. If not, it's going to be gone. I am learning to be comfortable with sobriety.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I definitely felt myself recovering. At 60 days I woke up thinking "this is what normal feels like".
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel myself going on the right direction, but there has been some detours. I have admitted I have a problem to my husband and my pastor. I havent been able to maintain sobriety for more that 6 days. I am not giving up.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Definitely!

I started to notice that I would go days without thinking about alcohol (around 4-6 months sober). Then weeks. Now, I rarely think about it!

And those major tests...my aunt died of cancer, my cousin committed suicide, my little boy broke his leg, a close relative's alcoholism spiraling out of control, the stock market crash...I did not want to drink over any of it. Quite the opposite in fact. The last thing I wanted to do was get drunk!

When it feels like my recovery is stalled, I only have to look at where I am at today and where I was the day I sobered up. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually there is absolutely no comparison.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hopeful - I can relate very closely to your posts. I seem to have passed some line -or maybe A step up in maturity or determination. I dont know how to express it but like you , It seems like everything is finally coming together! I finally really BELIEVE IM going to make it! I have the inner confidence I needed.

I know I probably say it too much, I thank God for this site and all you wonderful, loving people. You have given me the tools I neded to RECOVER--Thank You!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yeah sure..

Mentally i noticed relief and stability improvements within 2/3 months of engaging in a recovery program.

the physical did take longer.......took 6/8 months to get my weight back on.
sleep returning proper was slow ...in fact i still get bouts of insomnia.
thats why i work nights!!

i still had a tremble in my hands for about a year after.......i dont anymore.

from living on the streets my physical state was shot but most if not all have returned to normal...with time..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it seems like everything is coming together and I can feel myself crawling out of the hell hole I have been hanging out in for the past year or two.

I consider starting my AA Steps was
the beginning of solid recovery for me.
My mind shifted from sobriety into recovery
And with that I could not agree more.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Hi,

I definitely feel like I'm recovering. I don't belong to AA, or any other program right now, although I might look into some kind of recovery program at some point.

I've started school and have been doing some very productive interesting things, as well as learning about and taking care of myself. Something I hadn't done in quite awhile.

I'm still fragile though, with only almost 3 months of recovery. I still have to learn and use coping skills when something happens that tears me up emotionally. I am trying to keep things on an even keel right now.

I, also, have rid myself of some toxic "friends" who were in my life. Actually, one I let go before I quit, but I think the fog is lifting more and more each day. Now I wouldn't have anything to do with this girl, when before I kept giving chances and learned the hard way it was a big mistake. So, I am definitely thankful for clearer thinking.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Hopeful, (((((Hugs to you!)))))

Wow...An awesome post you made! Thank you so much! You have truly taken some amazing steps toward your Sobriety and Recovery. Great Stuff!! xo Neither can I or could I ever take just "One" Drink...and to also hear you say that you will see if it can continue and if not your going to just get rid of it all together! REMARKABLE girl!!! Now that....is PROGRESS Hopeful!

I am very content with Sobriety and Recovery too. It's like a "Dream come True" for me and it IS IN EVERY WAY...the "Pot of Gold at the end of my Rainbow!"

Love Pancake xo
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hopeful999,

it is exciting to feel it, struggle for it, befriend it, sleep in it, walk through it, accept it, be accepted by it, know it's worth...sobriety/clarity/sanity/recovery/hope.

bh
Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

for me,

i knew somthing was happening and going on...

not sure what the heck it was,

just,

i knew it felt safe, and good...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel myself "recovering" everytime I come-off my last drinking/drug binge and say to myself "Never Again"

I can see a bright future of relative peace, serenity, happiness and I start to get my confidence, self-esteem back and thinking about looking for a girlfriend (as I feel I am worth Knowing and have something to offer).

However 3-4 weeks down the line I talk myself into another Binge and Boom; Straight back to square one again. Thus I have not really progressed in my life at a acceoted level for something of my capability, for a few years now.

I am determined this time though that I ain't gonna pick up that first drink, If I can manage that and stay away from a binge then I believe my life can/will be good.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am fortunate in that I know that if I can stay away from that first binge then I can have a good life with decent prospects.

I sooooo don't wanna take that first drink as all of these positive things which I write with hope and positive thinking will all be in-vain AGAIN!!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Absolutely.

Once I was totally honest with myself about what alcohol was doing, sobriety became a gift. Can't imagaine my life without it. Don't get me wrong, my life isn't perfect by a long shot, it's just better.

I'm glad you are doing well!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up