Notices

Almost took a pill today !

Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost took a pill today !

Man I almost caved today! I threw my back out yesterday, and my sciatica was trying to act up. I tried aleve and motrin a muscle relaxer nothing was helping, my wife has some of my old scrip left in case somebody has a compound fracture or something. She saw I was in some serious pain and offered to ration me one or two. I declined and then I opened a pill bottle that had some prescription ibuprofen in it and I found 1 and 1/2 percosets I remembered how my pain issues got me started on the damn things cause they worked and I hate pain. I just don't dare take any so I didn't. I'm hurting but toughing it out. My neck surgery is now April 28. Have I screwed myself for life to use these meds when I have a Legitimate reason ??
Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I can COMPLETELY relate to how you're feeling. I've have daily pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and Lupus. . . but lately I've had a great deal of lower back pain and my hip began really hurting.( I am in a MMT, so I do take Methadone daily and it's usually made the physical pain tolerable.)

Anyway, I found out Monday that I have two ruptured discs with nerve impingement (sic) some weird Bursitis in my right hip and low and behold, a compound fracture of my pelvis. This is some serious pain!

I haven't taken any other opiates, benzos, nothing since July 25, 2005. I will be more than likely having back surgery soon, the pelvic fracture has to just heal and the Bursitis is better since I had the steroid injection in my hip. But I have been in serious pain for the most part over the past few weeks. Some days/nights, I am crying so hard because I don't think I can stand the pain another minute. My Mom has about 150 Vicodin here and three different strengths of Oxycontin, but I haven't touched one. I tell myself that, just like the times I have had cravings that This Too Shall Pass and when it gets really bad, if it is as bad in an hour/ two hours, in the morning, whatever, I will reconsider and possibly take one.

But for now, I am not willing to risk losing what I have worked so hard for over the past 3 years and 7 and 1/2 months. Opiates were my DOC, so I don't know if I could honestly just take 1 and then, IF needed, in another 4 - 6 hours take just 1 more.

Right now, I just take my anti inflammatories and sit/lay with pillows propped in places you wouldn't think to prop a pillow.

Let's hang in there my friend!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel. I was an opiate/benzo addict. I had to have surgery at 1 year clean and sober. I was able to take 4 Vicoden over 2 days for the post-operative pain. But it was difficult. Because having that crap in my body made me want to use more. I had to talk about it alot to my sponsor and other supportive people. I was open with the dr and my family. It was difficult but I got through it without relapsing. I am proud of you for not taking the percocet today! Happy Easter.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I don't think you've screwed yourself for life. I'm sure that after you have your surgery they're going to give you something or just tell you to take what you already have. The key is not to remain fearful. Fear leads to weakness and self-doubt. Know that you can use them as prescribed and let all thoughts of being high and messed up fade away.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's the thing, I had never taken narcotic pain meds until an accident a little more than 10 years ago. Within that 10 years, I'd had knee surgery and was diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis.
My point is, I just didn't all of a sudden start taking these pills to get high, I took them for legitimate reasons, but 4 a day became 30 a day, and I became obsessed with them. I then found that I was only taking them to keep from being 'dope sick'.
I feel like I've really screwed myself, cause I DO have extreme pain from the RA, especially in the mornings. I now take 800mg of Motrin and honestly sometimes it don't even scratch the surface of my pain. There's no cure for RA, and I know as time goes on, it's only gonna get worse
I wonder...will I ever be able to take pain meds without that obsession?
I watched a show on A&E a couple of weeks ago called Intervention. It was about a girl that had RA, and was overtaking her pain meds. They did an intervention on her, but it was different than ones I'd seen in the past...A pain management doctor participated and told her that they were gonna help her learn how to take her meds correctly and not abuse them. He told her family that she was in pain and to have 'quality of life' that she had to take pain meds.
Does this sound possible? Do you think that that could be taught?

Penny
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Daniel, I don't have the answer, but I do feel for you. My problem didn't involve pills (and I took them for weeks before my addiction became active without having any very memorable problem getting off of them), but I still ask myself the same question. It's a precarious place to be in for all of us. For you, I'm just hoping that this surgery helps enough that you won't need them later. NA includes a clause for legitimate medical reasons, but it's obviously something to be taken very seriously by any addict. Talking to your doctor and especially a sponsor (if you have one) or other people at meetings (if you go to meetings) sounds like a good idea.

Penny...I'm in the middle of watching that exact episode right now!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Ain't nothing wrong with healthy fear

Originally Posted by Vintersemestre View Post
The key is not to remain fearful. Fear leads to weakness and self-doubt. Know that you can use them as prescribed and let all thoughts of being high and messed up fade away.
Wow, do I have an opposite opinion (which, of course is a shocking surprise), and I just went through this.

I have the same healthy fear of opiates that I have of anything or anyone that can kick my a$$. I don't challenge them. That fear leads to my greatest self knowledge- that I am powerless over alcohol and drugs.
The whole time I took them (even less than prescribed), the pills took up huge space in my head...and when I stopped after five days, I still went through a night of lost sleep, kicking legs, etc.
So, on, you're not "screwed" out of taking opiates. It's just that the consequences haven't changed much. Do so with great care.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
I watched a show on A&E a couple of weeks ago called Intervention. It was about a girl that had RA, and was overtaking her pain meds. They did an intervention on her, but it was different than ones I'd seen in the past...A pain management doctor participated and told her that they were gonna help her learn how to take her meds correctly and not abuse them. He told her family that she was in pain and to have 'quality of life' that she had to take pain meds.
Does this sound possible? Do you think that that could be taught?
Penny
Possible? I suppose anything is possible.
I'd be concerned that I would hang on to that "possibility" as a free pass to use again. It would take a lot of support.
And yes, I have chronic pain and am a 2X cancer survivor.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you closed that bottle you are doing great, my daughter in law was here today and had tooth pain, asked me if I had anything I had one hydrocodone left and gave it to her. Morphine is in the closet , but I am not touching so far. Prayers are with you. I have neck pain and sciatic nerve problems too along with degeneration, just taking ibuprofen and praying. Lynne
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

stagebear,
First of all, I wasn't asking for myself, I was asking about the possibiltiy if an opiate addict who has chronic pain could be taught to take narcotic pain meds as prescribed.
The way I feel about, someone would damn near have to chop off my head in order for me to swallow a narcotic pain pill again. I don't think I will ever forget the horrible detox I went through. I suffer everyday with chronic pain and I've figured something out...Motrin works. So no, I wasn't asking in order to get a "free pass" for the future.
By the way, didn't you just have knee surgery? I've also had extensive knee surgery...
I don't remember the pain being such that I couldn't deal with it. Motrin would have done the trick.
Thanks for your response (whatever)

C4P
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Penny, stagebear didn't accuse you of asking for yourself ... he said:

'I'd be concerned that I would hang on to that "possibility" as a free pass to use again'

And for some reason, you took his statement of concern about himself, as being directed at you.

Might wanna give it some thought as to why you had that reaction ... and yeah, I am talking to you

(i posted this so that da bear could avoid looking like the jerk this one time ...)
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The chronic conditions forum had a discussion about people with chronic long term pain having pain relief. You can go take a look.

I know for me, if it ever came to a point that I needed pain medication that was narcotic that I would want it to be in a form that I did not control (pain pump or patches). Pills of any kind get my mind spinning. "What pain am I trying to kill?" is often a question that goes through my mind.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

the toilet is your friend
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
(i posted this so that da bear could avoid looking like the jerk this one time ...)
This one time? Golly, thanks, bv...
By the way, didn't you just have knee surgery? I've also had extensive knee surgery...
Penny, my post was, indeed, about me. No I did not have knee surgery, I had surgery to repair the incision from where I had my kidney removed last August.
I don't remember the pain being such that I couldn't deal with it. Motrin would have done the trick.
Well, gee golly I sure wish I was more like you. Thanks, though, for being a better barometer of my need than my sponsor, partner, doctor, forum friends and IOP group. :rotfxko

But, hey, thanks for the vote of confidence and genuine affection. I especially found the nyah nyah smiley face endearing.
Enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited by Stagebear; 04-16-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

stgbear
I'm sorry if I offended you, I truly did not mean to. And when you had mentioned the little incisions that you had I assumed you had knee surgery, cause I had knee surgery.
I just felt that you were directing that comment at me, when all I was asking is if someone thought that it would be possible to 're-train' a person to take pain meds as prescribed. I honestly was curious and wasn't asking for me.
I did re-read my post and I did come across as an a'hole. I was having a crappy day...crappy week. I'm sorry.
Friends?

Penny
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Friends?
Yup.
I'm not having a stellar week either...so I get it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm sorry you're having a bad week also. Maybe is spring fever.

Hope things get better for ya'.
-That's how I've felt this week!

Penny
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I suffer everyday with chronic pain and I've figured something out...Motrin works.

I have chronic pain and in my opinion nothing works better for pain than aleeve.In the long run I think narcotic mask the pain and nsaid's releave the pain
Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

tbeit

I agree with you about Motrin and Aleeve. I'm a recovering opiate/coke addict and even when I was taking 30 pain pills a day, (10mg hydro and oxycodones) I still had pain, if you can believe that! LOL
I have rheumatoid arthritis and I find now, that I can get by on very days by simply taking 800mg of Motrin and soaking in a hot bath. (imagine that)
This is a miracle in it self, for me anyway....someone who used to justify taking all those pills, using the RA excuse and severe pain excuse.
For me, no pain I experience is worth ever taking a narcotic pill again after what I've been through with abusing those damn pills and the hell of detoxing from them.
Penny