Notices

Detox

Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox

well i did it, i checked into detox yesterday, not feeling so hot today, a little shaky, and they give you 100mg of codine contin every four hours to controll the wd symptoms. They also give me 1mg of ativan every 12 hours to help with the anxitey. Last night was tough, I sweat all night long and i was frozen cold even with lots of blankets, the nurse gave me warm blankets three times out of the dryer, that sure helped for a while. My energy level is real low and my vision seems to be blurred soome. The codine takes some of the edge off and stops the diarreah completely. They give you the codine for four days every four hours then on day 5 it is every 5 hours and so on, wow, do i ever feel crappy.....
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right on! your doing it!!

Congrats!!
When i detoxed I felt crummy but i ws glad the pill taking, was over. I bet you are too.

Keep us informed.

Joe
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

Oh man does detox suck. But after about 72-96hrs it gets a little bit easier each and every day. Hang in there man and know you're doing the right thing.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmm I wonder why they're using codeine contin. It's not the first time I've heard of it but as far as I know it's rare that they do that. What were you taking beforehand?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad to hear you're in detox. . . as much as it sucks, at least you aren't going cold turkey at home, THAT is the worst!

Just hang in there and remember, This Too Shall Pass. Have you made any plans for your Recovery after you are out of detox? Now's the time to start setting things up. Do you have any phone numbers of other people in Recovery that you could call now and let them know that you're in detox? If not, I know when I was in detox, I called the local NA phone number, let them know what was going on, gave permission to the Nurses for people from NA to come and visit me and sure enough. . . four ladies showed up at the hospital with a Meeting Schedule, a brand new Big Book with not only their phone numbers in it but several other women's #'s as well. This way, when I got out of detox, I was ready.

Glad to see you have access to a computer. Can you keep posting here with us or is your time limited?

Hang in there, Recovery DOES ROCK!
Judy
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya, they have wifi here in detox, so i brought my mac book with me, it really does suck, the chills are the worst along with the cravings. The codine works well for a few hours, along with the ativan, takes the edge off of things, today really sucks, but lots of people in here to talk to atlesast, what i wouldnt do for an oxy right now, for just a break in the wd, it would feel great but i know i wont touch them anymore, never ever will i want to go through this pain, im keeping a journal of my pain and feelings for a reminder when i get out, just in case. Thank god for the codine, no diareah or puking. and i can sleep through the night except when they wake me up to give me my codine.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emmer View Post
Right on! your doing it!!

Congrats!!
When i detoxed I felt crummy but i ws glad the pill taking, was over. I bet you are too.

Keep us informed.

Joe
some of your posts kept me away from methadone and suboxone, thank you sir....your a wise man
Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Keep at it Sweetie. The only way is up!!
You are doing so well.

Lots of love and encouragement coming your way.
Tish xxx
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Glad you took the step. Been there...it gets better.
(See, not all of my posts are negative!)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, detox really sucks. When I was in rehab, the first few days I was so sick. I thought I was going to drown in my own sweat. I know one night, the nurse had to come and scoop me off the bathroom floor. I'd fallen asleep on the tile curled up next to the toilet. When she woke me for a moment, I didn't even know where I was. The memory of that 'hell' keeps me on the straight and narrow road of recovery.
It's been a little more than 6 months now, so if I can do...so can You!
Good luck, you'll be in my prayers,

Penny
Old 04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tish28 View Post
The only way is up!!
How very well put, Ingrid! Scared, I am soooo proud of you! I just read this thread and, honestly, I got an instant lump in my throat! I've been toying with going c/t off the Suboxone. Scares the sh!t out of me! I wish that I did what you're doing two months ago.

My first thought was, Man, he's doing it! He's gonna have to change his screen name!

My second thought was, "Why would anyone pick Easter weekend to do this." (I know... not every celebrates, but Christin does). Then, I gave it some more thought. I think it's the perfect weeked because once it's all over, you're going to feel as though you've been resurrected and Easter will have a double meaning for those who know and love you.

Damn! Now I want to cry! Hang in there, friend. We'll keep checking in on you.

-Christin
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Christin

Amen sister!

Happy Easter,

Penny
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im feeling a little shaky and still cold sweats, they are nasty, i napped on and off this afternoon as i feel weak, it can drop a big strong man to his knees, the codine contin really helps with the cravings and the ativan helps with the anxiety alot and with sleeping. Thank god they have a pop machine here and i can get an ice cold coke when the hot flashes hit and the sugar helps with the energy. lots of water too, I feel kinda down hearted and its weird but I feel i lost my best friend, and then i feel I beat my worst enemy, quite an array of emotions. Thanks for the encouragement, will keep in touch, I would have tried suboxone but could not get it here and thought why go through twenty four hours of wd when three more days and I will be mostly done with wd, Im still finishing up on day two, I hopw it gets better tommorow......love you guys
Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredtostp View Post
I would have tried suboxone but could not get it here and thought why go through twenty four hours of wd when three more days and I will be mostly done with wd,
Scared...
You're doing great! I think that you are going to be so glad that you didn't take the Sub route. When you're out of detox, if you would like me to send you an article on Suboxone and PAWS, let me know. Right now, all I can tell you is that I think that you are doing this the BEST way!

Today, I was quoted the following by a Suboxone user: And don't try to jump from 8mg. The same half life thing will happen. You'll feel some discomfort the first 2-3 days and BANG. A jump from 2-4 mg would be huge. Doable..but huge.

I tapered to 8mg on Thursday and am starting to feel the effects this evening. After the first 2mg taper, I felt as though a truck had hit me when I tried to get out of bed on the fourth day. (And the cravings this last taper, have been considerable). So, my E,S&H says that you picked well and that you are doing fantastic!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christin1225 View Post
Scared...
You're doing great! I think that you are going to be so glad that you didn't take the Sub route. When you're out of detox, if you would like me to send you an article on Suboxone and PAWS, let me know. Right now, all I can tell you is that I think that you are doing this the BEST way!

Today, I was quoted the following by a Suboxone user: And don't try to jump from 8mg. The same half life thing will happen. You'll feel some discomfort the first 2-3 days and BANG. A jump from 2-4 mg would be huge. Doable..but huge.

I tapered to 8mg on Thursday and am starting to feel the effects this evening. After the first 2mg taper, I felt as though a truck had hit me when I tried to get out of bed on the fourth day. (And the cravings this last taper, have been considerable). So, my E,S&H says that you picked well and that you are doing fantastic!
love ya christian, your doing great
Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredtostp View Post
love ya christian, your doing great
Thanks! And you know that I'd get your iced cold cokes for you and I'd warm your blankets for you if I were there with you. l spent 30 hours in precipitated withdrawal when I started the Suboxone... when I read your post on the nurses bringing you the blankets... Mmmmm.... just the thought with what you're going through warmed my heart.

The best friend/enemy feelings... there's a post by Serenity Queen that I read a while back. When I read it, I wondered who had looked inside my head and my heart. I'll see if I can find it and bump it in case you haven't read it. Just today, I was having a "best friend" memory that I haven't had in a while. For about two minutes, it really had me fooled. It actually had me believing again that my oxys would make me okay with myself and with everything else in the world. Actually, they did do that for the first couple months but then in turned really nasty... really quickly. I'm glad that it only took a few minutes to remember looking into the mirror and hating the one who was looking back.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Christian, i would do the same for you, you know I would probably be on suboxone if it were available here but they are not so i have to suffer it out for how long im not sure but I will do it for ever if I have to just to be free from those weak little pills. Those pills were sucking the life right out of me, turning me into something i am not, an isolated tired hermit, normally im am a social butterfly, i love everyone and love to be loved back just as much but im more of a giver then a reciever.
Dont ever look back and think you made the wrong decision, you are free from the oxy and that is what counts, who cares if you or i would have to treat our addiction with a medication for the rest of our lives, at least we are out of harms way.Im only on day 2 so far and it is very hard to deal with, this is by far the hardest thing ive ever done and i would pay any amount of money to turn back the clock and change what i have become just by saying no to those little pills. It is by far the biggest mistake i have ever made in my life, but we cant beat ourselves up over the past, the only thing we have controll over is our future and i choose not to have oxy in it. They make me feel like i have no controll over my life.Suboxone is a great medication for addiction, it allows a normal life, sure your forced to take it every day as a diebetic has to take insulin every day, but the only difference is you can stop it when you are ready and a diabetic cant so you have future options avail to you.
Dont feel guilty that you use sub to stay away from oxy, I would have chose it if it were avilable in canada.....love ya lots and be strong and walk with your head held high and your shoulders back as you have won the battle with the devil.......relax and treat yourself to a nice ice cold coke......
Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

HAPPY EASTER!!
(from the outside)
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Happy easter to all, from the inside.....lol
Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by christin1225 View Post
Just today, I was having a "best friend" memory that I haven't had in a while. For about two minutes, it really had me fooled. It actually had me believing again that my oxys would make me okay with myself and with everything else in the world.
As someone who just went through a "legal" run-in with oxycodone in it's other form, let me assure you, it's not any better. Even though I was "allowed", the pills took up so much room in my head, every day. And when I stopped, I still went through a night of w/d symptoms...a great reminder. You may, and I stress may feel better for an instant, then everything that was wrong with pills comes flooding back, at least for me.

The good times, such as they were, are over. It can never be the same knowing what we know.

On to spread sunshine elsewhere, I remain,