Notices

xanex vs klonopin

Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I love life

xanex vs klonopin

I was switched from xanex to klonopin. Is there really any difference? I have had friends that were addicted to both and said klonopin was better than xanex.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Better for what? I'm a little confused as to why you would be asking people who had been addicted to both for their opinions?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

xanax has a faster onset than klonipin. Klonipin also lasts longer and fades away slower. It's debatable but I've read in researching that Klonipin has a lower abuse potential than xanax.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Coming from the perspective of a person with bipolar disorder and PTSD here is my experience as well as information from a book on bipolar disorder.

I have taken klonopin for years as needed for anxiety. It has worked well for me. The downside for me is the sleepiness that comes with the medication.

Here is what the book states:
Antianxiety medications
Many closely related antianxiety medications are available, including alprozolam (xanax), lorazepam (ativan), clonazepam (Klonopin), and diazepmam (valium). Although they are marketed as antianxiety medications all of them are just general sedatives; they have no specific physiological actions against anxiety. Although they are not licensed for this use, these medications are often given to bipolar patients when they complain of anxiety or panic. However, all they do is sedate you; they never treat the core bipolar problems like mood stabilizers do.
The Bipolar Handbook by Wes Burgess, M.D., Ph.D.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I definately agree with nandm, learned the hard way.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know why anyone would go on these medicines. Aren't there so many "new" ones that don't have the potential to make one addicted, nor go through the most horrendous withdrawls.

It seems these medicines are too socailly and medically acceptable IMHO. But they are "in reality" a nightmare waiting to happen.

In the very distant past I had tried a variety of antidepressants, prozac, celexa, paxil, etc... none worked, and many made me more depressed, bed ridden depressed. I've also seen many people on zanax, including my AH, who mixed these w/ vicodin/percocet which is lethal. He hated when another Dr. put him on klonopin. He went right back to the Dr. that had him on zanax. Right now I know of a 65 year old woman on zanax, and I am shocked, and disgusted that a Dr. would put an elderly on such a medicine. She's been on it one year, and she's in recovery w/ Al-anon for all the "alcoholism" in her family....I almost think the Dr's have gone insane!!!!

Anyway once I went to .....B-complex vitamins, multivitamins, minerals, and a good recovery group w/ my HP, I had no need or want for antidepressants.

For me it's best to feel my way through the problems instead of cover-coating them w/ some synthetic chemical. I heal alot faster that way.

NH7
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 View Post
I don't know why anyone would go on these medicines. Aren't there so many "new" ones that don't have the potential to make one addicted, nor go through the most horrendous withdrawls.

It seems these medicines are too socailly and medically acceptable IMHO. But they are "in reality" a nightmare waiting to happen.

In the very distant past I had tried a variety of antidepressants, prozac, celexa, paxil, etc... none worked, and many made me more depressed, bed ridden depressed. I've also seen many people on zanax, including my AH, who mixed these w/ vicodin/percocet which is lethal. He hated when another Dr. put him on klonopin. He went right back to the Dr. that had him on zanax. Right now I know of a 65 year old woman on zanax, and I am shocked, and disgusted that a Dr. would put an elderly on such a medicine. She's been on it one year, and she's in recovery w/ Al-anon for all the "alcoholism" in her family....I almost think the Dr's have gone insane!!!!

Anyway once I went to .....B-complex vitamins, multivitamins, minerals, and a good recovery group w/ my HP, I had no need or want for antidepressants.

For me it's best to feel my way through the problems instead of cover-coating them w/ some synthetic chemical. I heal alot faster that way.

NH7
I appreciate your experience. Unfortunately, it does not parallel mine. I have utilized vitamins, minerals, meditation, A.A., and yoga for years as an adjunct to my medication regemine. I am not covering up my problems with a synthetic chemical because I take medication. I am treating a real medical condition. Bipolar disease is caused by the brain producing too much of certain brain chemicals and not enough of others. This can not be cured though will-power anymore than my alcoholism could be cured by will-power (and that did not involve brain chemicals being out of whack). I wasted too much of my life because I did not treat my medical condition. Today I choose life rather than insanity and if that means I take medication to stabilize the chemicals in my brain then so be it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Again this stigma that meds are no more than another addiction,
Argggg this makes me so frustrated. It took me 10yrs of research doc appointment, wrong diagnoses on part of short handed get them out there quick med facilities before I found the right medications.

I have said it before and I'll say it again PTSD, SAD, Bipolar and other chemically related disorders are every bit as real as chemotherapy for cancer, dialisis for kidney disease, speach therapy for the tounge tied, whatever else you can think of.

These illnesses are not in are minds, they affect our minds.

No offense but after you have talked with mental health professional who specialize in anx related conditions, or other mind affecting, life affecting disorders. You can NOT judge us here.

You are welcome to read our experiences, find out what works and what doesn't. but do not have a be all end all, private conclusion............

We get that all the time and everywhere we go. If you want info just ask

sorry a little wound up right now. I didn't accept meds for at least ten years. I know I am doing what is right and I have multitudes of back up to say yes I need meds.

They aren't booze, they aren't just another drug, they are what thousands of chemists, docs, psych's reserch and psychologists have research over the last 20 yrs.

No offense, I use herbal meds meditation vits and yoga. but if you are sick you go to the pro's.

It's so frustrating
Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

a little hyper-sensitive there sorry
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know why anyone would go on these medicines....For me it's best to feel my way through the problems instead of cover-coating them w/ some synthetic chemical. I heal alot faster that way.
People are prescribed these medicines to help them cope with debilitating conditions such as panic disorder, bipolar disorder and psychotic depression - if left untreated, these disorders can easily result in suicide and other forms of violence. While I agree with you to a certain extent about people being overmedicated, psych drugs have a legitimate use in mental health when prescribed competently; in some cases, vitamins and AA are simply not enough.

Taking psychotropic drugs indiscriminately and/ or abusing them is another matter altogether.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If one does not believe that mental health disorders are real brain chemistry problems the quickest way to become convinced is to go spend time with the homeless population. A large percentage of these people are individuals who have mental health problems that are not being treated. One has to wonder how much the homeless population would decrease if only we would treat these individuals. I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that my mental illness can easily wind me up homeless. It has affected my whole life. If it were not for a very understanding partner I would be on the streets as I have not been able to work full time or even part time in any organized setting in over 3 years now due to the nature of my illness. It is not because I am lazy or do not want to work. I am someone who went from being a productive, contributing individual who worked up to 80 hours a week and at many points in my life I have held down at least two jobs and several times three to make sure my children were taken care of. That was for over 20 years of my life.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was switched from xanex to klonopin. Is there really any difference? I have had friends that were addicted to both and said klonopin was better than xanex.
No offense but after you have talked with mental health professional who specialize in anx related conditions, or other mind affecting, life affecting disorders. You can NOT judge us here.
Taking psychotropic drugs indiscriminately and/ or abusing them is another matter altogether.
I'm sorry Gail. But I'm not going to sugar-coat anything. The main question here was.....
QUOTE: I was switched from xanex to klonopin. Is there really any difference? I have had friends that were addicted to both and said klonopin was better than xanex QUOTE.
I just don't agree with Dr's prescribing benzo's to people who have a history of depression/attempted suicide, drug/ alcohol abuse, or addiction to these meds, etc...
It almost sets them up for an unsuccessful recovery, and a possible OD if taken with beer/other drugs. I know many psychiatrists that don't prescribe these medications to anyone due to these reasons. What I'm saying is I'm sure there are other medications that can treat these ailments, but only a Dr. can know what those are.

I hope that no one takes offense. I know that your ailments are very real. I'm very sensitive to this subject as well. As I hear the many stories such as Malcoms, my AH, and all those on the substance abuse forum. I would love to see all get better and recover. All things are possible to those that believe.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Gail. But I'm not going to sugar-coat anything. I just don't agree with Dr's prescribing benzo's to people who have a history of depression/attempted suicide, drug/ alcohol abuse etc...
It almost sets them up for an unsuccessful recovery, and a possible OD if taken with beer/other drugs. I know many psychiatrists that don't prescribe these medications to anyone due to these reasons. What I'm saying is I'm sure there are other medications that can treat these ailments, but only a Dr. can know what those are
I am a recovering alcoholic. I have a history of depression, suicide attempts starting at the age of 14, etc... I have 8 years of sobriety through A.A. I do not believe that my treating a real medical condition sets me up for an unsuccessful recovery. The key to any recovery is personal responsibility. I have to take responsibility for my recovery from alcoholism, therefore I apply the 12 Steps and Principles to my life. I take personal responsibility in the treatment of my mental illness by ensuring that my psychiatrist is well aware of my history with alcoholism, and the other disorders. I feel my responsibility for my mental health care is being honest with my psych doc which includes making sure the doctor is aware of any and all issues that might affect my recovery and treatment. One thing I know is that now that my mental health issues are being treated and managed by medication, I do not have any desire or obsession to drink or take any of the medications in a way they are not prescribed. I have had to throw out my klonopin and get a new prescription before because I am so careful with it. I only take it when it is absolutely necessary.
I do have to say that I find it extremely frustrating to hear people judge others and make assumptions when although they may mean well, they do not have a real understanding of the issues involved. Unless one has lived with a mental illness and had the experience of feeling that insanity, one can not truly appreciate the benefits of treatment for that disease. These are real medical conditions. Unfortunately many people have self-medicated these illnesses through years of drug and/or alcohol abuse. But that does not mean that their illness should be taken any less seriously or not treated. It simply means that they need to become partners and take responsibility in their health care.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I am a recovering alcoholic. I have a history of depression, suicide attempts starting at the age of 14, etc... I have 8 years of sobriety through A.A. I do not believe that my treating a real medical condition sets me up for an unsuccessful recovery. The key to any recovery is personal responsibility. I have to take responsibility for my recovery from alcoholism, therefore I apply the 12 Steps and Principles to my life. I take personal responsibility in the treatment of my mental illness by ensuring that my psychiatrist is well aware of my history with alcoholism, and the other disorders. I feel my responsibility for my mental health care is being honest with my psych doc which includes making sure the doctor is aware of any and all issues that might affect my recovery and treatment. One thing I know is that now that my mental health issues are being treated and managed by medication, I do not have any desire or obsession to drink or take any of the medications in a way they are not prescribed. I have had to throw out my klonopin and get a new prescription before because I am so careful with it. I only take it when it is absolutely necessary.
I do have to say that I find it extremely frustrating to hear people judge others and make assumptions when although they may mean well, they do not have a real understanding of the issues involved. Unless one has lived with a mental illness and had the experience of feeling that insanity, one can not truly appreciate the benefits of treatment for that disease. These are real medical conditions. Unfortunately many people have self-medicated these illnesses through years of drug and/or alcohol abuse. But that does not mean that their illness should be taken any less seriously or not treated. It simply means that they need to become partners and take responsibility in their health care.
Very well put. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

NH7 - I think you have to draw a line between people in recovery and people still in active addiction.

I'm not anything but a common or garden variety drunk but I was quite capable of misusing medication to get a buzz.

You mentioned someone in your life mixing medicines - that's not taking them as directed...that's addiction, not necessarily the medication.

Patients with an addictive history, and the doctors who treat them, should always be careful sure - but this site is full of people who treat their medication responsibly, and live better lives for taking it.

I speak only for myself, but I know if I had treated myself with herbal remedies and vitamin supplements when I was ill in my 20s, I would not be here today.

D
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

It seems no matter how often this is explained,
There are people who just won't or can't understand mental illness.

Respect for individuals sharing their own ESH
Should be the least thing that we give and get here on these boards
When we deal with so many of life's most difficult issues already.

If you don't need certain meds;
or if you don't agree with taking them,
Simply don't.
It doesn't mean that those same meds are not correct
for another.
That decision is between them
And their doctor.

Shalom!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Klonopin has been great for me!

hi memphischick.....i have been battling with alcoholism for years now...switched doctors,and he prescribed Klonopin,a small dose,at bedtime,for me.....he said it would ease my anxiety as well as lowere my BP.I was having a hard time sleeping....I would drink until i passed out,and then toss and turn all night....I started the Klonopin a few weeks ago,and i have been sober for two weeks now.Not only am i getting a full 8 hours of restful sleep at night,but my cravings for alchohol have stopped!I feel so much calmer,more in control of my emotions......I say take the help however you can get it.Now that i am sober,and rested,I can start dealing with all the other issues in my life which led me to drink in the first place.......good luck with the klonopin,and i hope it helps you as muchas it did me.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It seems no matter how often this is explained,
There are people who just won't or can't understand mental illness.
This is not fair. And this is not what I said history. I understand mental illness, but I won't enable it, or addiction. I really don't want to get into an argument, and I feel you have all taken what I said out of context. I just don't agree about BENZOS being taken by those who have drug/alcohol abuse histories. If you read the insert of these meds, it says the same thing. Many end up in the hospital drinking with those things, and sicker than they began. Some Dr's. put thier patients on this stuff for years leading to addiction, then have to wean them off. Then they are sicker than when they began. This medicine is only supposed to be prescribed short term, and I have seen people on it for years because Dr's don't know how to get them off of it, and by that time the patient doesn't want off of it because they are addicted to it. I don't call that good medical care. I personally think it's endangering the mentally ill. So....Can we agree to disagree?

Going back to the main question in this thread....

Both are made with the same ingredients, but one works longer than the other. I know this because AH was on zanax for years and when changing meds, I asked about klonopin when his new Dr. was switching him to it, and that is what she said. She tried changing him to klonopin to wean him, he hated it (of course because he was addicted to the zanax). She also said my AH is going to die a slow death....this stuff is no joke. He ended up hospitalized many times because he drank or drugged on this med. His old Dr. thought he needed the zanax, but every other Dr. disagreed. I knew he didn't need that drug for years, but there was nothing I could do because he would keep returning to the old Dr. for the zanax. Now he's in worse shape than ever.

All I'm saying is there are new meds out there that can HELP people now.

Last edited by NeedingHelp7; 04-03-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

NeedingHelp7
I just don't agree about BENZOS being taken by those who have drug/alcohol abuse histories. If you read the insert of these meds, it says the same thing. Many end up in the hospital drinking with those things,
While I understand you have a right to your opinion, I am in complete disagreement with it. Dee has described my experience and opinion quite well. True black and white rarely exist, they are just shades of gray. I feel you are trying to make this a black and white issue, when it is really a very gray and individualized area. This tends to be the case with most mental health medications.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
NH7 - I think you have to draw a line between people in recovery and people still in active addiction.

I'm not anything but a common or garden variety drunk but I was quite capable of misusing medication to get a buzz.

You mentioned someone in your life mixing medicines - that's not taking them as directed...that's addiction, not necessarily the medication.

Patients with an addictive history, and the doctors who treat them, should always be careful sure - but this site is full of people who treat their medication responsibly, and live better lives for taking it.

I speak only for myself, but I know if I had treated myself with herbal remedies and vitamin supplements when I was ill in my 20s, I would not be here today.

D
Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just don't agree about BENZOS being taken by those who have drug/alcohol abuse histories. If you read the insert of these meds, it says the same thing.
Wow, this is the thread that just won’t die. Here is AA's position.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf

If you disagree, you disagree with AA, the many doctors that prescribe these medications to alcoholics, and the many alcoholics that take them as prescribed. Please provide a link to this insert that says "the same thing."

I’m not picking on you. In all fairness, many people abuse these medications. However, many take them as prescribed and appear to benefit from them. And the “Big Book” talks about those with grave emotional and metal disorders, and the use of psychiatrists too – and the main role of psychiatrists is to diagnose mental illness and prescribe for it.

The pamphlet linked to above elaborates on the issue. It is AA conference approved literature. If you read nothing else, read the guidelines contained therein.