View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NeedingHelp7

It seems no matter how often this is explained,
There are people who just won't or can't understand mental illness.
This is not fair. And this is not what I said history. I understand mental illness, but I won't enable it, or addiction. I really don't want to get into an argument, and I feel you have all taken what I said out of context. I just don't agree about BENZOS being taken by those who have drug/alcohol abuse histories. If you read the insert of these meds, it says the same thing. Many end up in the hospital drinking with those things, and sicker than they began. Some Dr's. put thier patients on this stuff for years leading to addiction, then have to wean them off. Then they are sicker than when they began. This medicine is only supposed to be prescribed short term, and I have seen people on it for years because Dr's don't know how to get them off of it, and by that time the patient doesn't want off of it because they are addicted to it. I don't call that good medical care. I personally think it's endangering the mentally ill. So....Can we agree to disagree?

Going back to the main question in this thread....

I was switched from xanex to klonopin. Is there really any difference? I have had friends that were addicted to both and said klonopin was better than xanex.
Both are made with the same ingredients, but one works longer than the other. I know this because AH was on zanax for years and when changing meds, I asked about klonopin when his new Dr. was switching him to it, and that is what she said. She tried changing him to klonopin to wean him, he hated it (of course because he was addicted to the zanax). She also said my AH is going to die a slow death....this stuff is no joke. He ended up hospitalized many times because he drank or drugged on this med. His old Dr. thought he needed the zanax, but every other Dr. disagreed. I knew he didn't need that drug for years, but there was nothing I could do because he would keep returning to the old Dr. for the zanax. Now he's in worse shape than ever.

All I'm saying is there are new meds out there that can HELP people now.

Last edited by NeedingHelp7; 04-03-2009 at 06:20 AM.