Notices

I can't do this

Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do this

I just can't do it on my own. I do $100 of heroin a day now and I don't even really get high. My friend told my parents and brother what was going on, so now that they know anyway, I'm thinking of going to detox. I have a question though: how long is heroin detox? Can you choose to just go for 72 hours? Because someone told me once that for heroin, people go in for about two weeks. I'm just wondering if they accept you if you want to go in for less. I will fail my class if I miss one more and I'm not going to fail it after doing almost a whole semester's work. Will they let me start the subutex there? Will they give me anything to help me sleep, like valium?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

i dont have any answers to your questions but i honestly think that failing your class is really the smallest thing right now. making it to the 'other side' has got to be top priority...if youre serious about going, you need to commit to staying as long as you need--classes can be repeated, life cannot. this is some major serious stuff....first things first--good luck with getting there...take care
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lavender--I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly right now. I think you are on the righ track making the decision to go to detox. I did detox for pills. The place I went to was not a suboxone type detox, but I also didn'tknow about subs at the time to even think to look for one. I would suggest looking around. Do you have a sub doctor--I can't remember if you started the subs in the past or not. If you do, he can recommend someplace. However, as much as I support detox, you still hae to get to the mental place where you'll be stable when you walk out the door at the end. They will help start the clean-up process and monitor you through withdrawals, but they do nothing to help with the mental aspect. At the detox I went to we had 2 aa/na meetings a day--that was it. The rest of the time was for us to do whatever, which mean sitting outside and chain-smoking. I was there from a sat morning until tues p.m. I was told 3-5 days, I left at a full 3 days. I put myself in detox voluntarily and you can take your self out of detox voluntarily. There was a woman who came in so sh** faced drunk who lasted 4 hours, but she was voluntary so they couldn't stop her from leaving. To be honest I felt worse after I got home. THe leg pains/muscle cramps started the last night I was in there and I didn't sleep literally for 2 days for some reason. However, the important part was that I felt safe. They medicated me so that I wouldn't have blood pressure problems, they gave me a non-narcotic pain med to help with any of the pain I got, adn they gave me a mild muscle relaxant. They gave me trazadone for sleep. No one in my detox got a benzo to help with sleep or anxiety (valium xanax).I'll say none of them worked that great since I was used to such stronger things, but it did make the detox mcuh easier in comparison. However, I know that you want to use subs, but I know you are having problems not giving in to the call of your drugs. Is there anyone who can be with yo for a few days until you can get yourself started on the subs? i don't kow what I would recomend more--doign it outpatient with subs and supervision from your doctor and a family member or friend or going to detox. That's really a personal decision for you to make. But to answer your general question about the length of stay-you can leave at any time if you voluntarily put yourself in there. I don't recommend leaving any earlier than 72 hours though.Please keep us updated. I know you've been struggling, adn I just want to see you in a better place!!! hugs!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Forget your class - you are in trouble. Clean comes first, because without it, none of the other stuff is going to matter!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

hey lavender. i kind of know what you mean about not wanting to put ahold on the semester. credits lost, gpa goes down, $$ lost etc. And i kept using that and my job as an excuse not to go into detox or get clean cold turkey. my DOC is heroin as well, dont know if you were shooting it but I was and i was up to around 140$ a day habit.

To be perfectly honest with you, i know that you think failing this class will be horrible and everything but in the end its not worth the thought. If you keep using you will either end up taking out extra student loans (to support your habit so your not sick everyday ) or commiting some type of crimes to support yourself. Nobody is a functional heroin addict for very long unless they are making millions of $$ a year like kurt cobain or brad nowell, and what happened to them? ya they had all teh money in the world but both ended up dead one from an OD and one just killed himself.

Take everybody else's advice and mine, dont even worry about the class. get clean and learn the tools to stay clean. Besides if your going to a university and have a medical release (you dont have to actually specify the reason you were there just have a note) you will be excused from missed classes and tests and be able to retake anything you missed. Also, most heroin detox only last 5-8 days (according to your length of use and amount used daily).

Hope you make the right decision and really remember that heroin(esp when injecting) has the power to make you fall out from just one dose thats to strong, just one. Be safe ~~
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

just a tiny hijack.. EX D, i am so proud of you, you have come such a long way, been thru so much and you keep on trying!! I have followed you almost from the beginning and just not posted, but just had to let you know how proud I am of you, and admire your fortitude!!!! Gonna try to find your thread to post on, didnt wanna hijack Lavs thread

Lav, I think rehab is a great option, they often give comfort meds, and if you go to the ER, and tell them all, and say you need rehab, there will have to be some place you can go!! thats how I did my first detox, and it wasnt terrible or scary like I envisioned it. Really cool people going thru the same thing I was. It was very comforting and helpful. Try the ER route, they will NOT call the cops, TRUST me on that one, they wont. They want to help, and will explore all avenues and call all over looking for a bed for you!!!! At least give it a shot, better than cold turkey, and all the horrific pain. Im not saying you feel GREAT in detox, but they make you mUCH more comfy than just cold turkey, clonodine, valium, sleep meds, neurontin for cramps,etc immoduim, sometimes phengren if you get really sick. teh valium taper DOES work. It helped me soo so much. Anyway, its a thougt, and a good shot at really getting help and a HUGE step for you. Just get into mild withdrawals and check in. Your blood pressure will be up, etc. Please give it a try. I was there 3 days, and if you check in voluntarily, yeah, you can go when you want even if its against medical avice,but at least you will have gone thru lots of your d3etox with help and comfort meds. i DID IT, and it was GREAT and helped SO SO Much, please at least try. I am rooting for you, and hoping you find a way out of this, please give it a shot!! PM me wiht ANY questions as I have done it, been there and done it thru the ER route. Please do pm me with questions, we can figure this out together. Love, Becky
Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Lavender; bad grade or eventual death. I think you know the answer.

If I remember right, the detox I was in, heroin, give or take was five days. It depended on what all else the person was taking.