Thread: I can't do this
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sunflower1776

lavender--I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly right now. I think you are on the righ track making the decision to go to detox. I did detox for pills. The place I went to was not a suboxone type detox, but I also didn'tknow about subs at the time to even think to look for one. I would suggest looking around. Do you have a sub doctor--I can't remember if you started the subs in the past or not. If you do, he can recommend someplace. However, as much as I support detox, you still hae to get to the mental place where you'll be stable when you walk out the door at the end. They will help start the clean-up process and monitor you through withdrawals, but they do nothing to help with the mental aspect. At the detox I went to we had 2 aa/na meetings a day--that was it. The rest of the time was for us to do whatever, which mean sitting outside and chain-smoking. I was there from a sat morning until tues p.m. I was told 3-5 days, I left at a full 3 days. I put myself in detox voluntarily and you can take your self out of detox voluntarily. There was a woman who came in so sh** faced drunk who lasted 4 hours, but she was voluntary so they couldn't stop her from leaving. To be honest I felt worse after I got home. THe leg pains/muscle cramps started the last night I was in there and I didn't sleep literally for 2 days for some reason. However, the important part was that I felt safe. They medicated me so that I wouldn't have blood pressure problems, they gave me a non-narcotic pain med to help with any of the pain I got, adn they gave me a mild muscle relaxant. They gave me trazadone for sleep. No one in my detox got a benzo to help with sleep or anxiety (valium xanax).I'll say none of them worked that great since I was used to such stronger things, but it did make the detox mcuh easier in comparison. However, I know that you want to use subs, but I know you are having problems not giving in to the call of your drugs. Is there anyone who can be with yo for a few days until you can get yourself started on the subs? i don't kow what I would recomend more--doign it outpatient with subs and supervision from your doctor and a family member or friend or going to detox. That's really a personal decision for you to make. But to answer your general question about the length of stay-you can leave at any time if you voluntarily put yourself in there. I don't recommend leaving any earlier than 72 hours though.Please keep us updated. I know you've been struggling, adn I just want to see you in a better place!!! hugs!