Notices

Me posting before drinking

Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me posting before drinking

People say to post if you are craving really bad, so here goes.

I am 3 weeks sober and I haven't been beyond that point for months now. I have depression and it usually kicks in at about the 3 week mark bringing with it huge cravings and a mental state that says 'eff it, I deserve to drink'.

I also have a bad cold and for the last 30 years I have treated colds by getting off my face. The urge to go to bed with a bottle of vodka is huge.

As usual my thinking is telling me I can just drink this one day...past experience tells me that one day turns into a bender and I will end up feeling far worse at the end of it than I do already!

Oh the insanity!

I am going to make something to eat now, that often helps. I don't think I will drink today.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And that's all you have to do really. Just don't drink today. Just today. Tomorrow you can deal with tomorrow. Looks like you know yourself and your addiction well. That's good. I'm glad you posted. So glad. When we admit we are weak we find strength. Putting it out on the table always helps me. Prayers headed your way. Eat something yummy.... what you got in mind?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What about changing what you put at the end of that sentence. F it, I deserve to feel better, i'm going to go for a walk/buy a new book ... I don't know, something.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

You are absolutely right. This is insanity:
I deserve to drink...I have treated colds by getting off my face...go to bed with a bottle of vodka...
Break the cycle. Do something positive for yourself. AA meeting, buy/read a good book, exercise, visit a relative/friend, etc.

What helps me get out of a funk is to think about all the good things I have in my life...so much to be grateful for...maybe make a list and post it?

You can do this.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Freshstart, it does help to put it on the table...and to get some responses so quickly.

I am cooking steak and kidney pudding (don't ask, it's a British thing!) and chips (fries). Meanwhile I am having a cup of tea and a slice of carrot cake.

Thanks Scoob, 'eff it, I deserve better than this'.

Admitting I am craving badly has helped. Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Gravity, it is insanity for sure.

I would like to go to the gym but can't because of the cold. It is because of that that the craving is so bad I think...I have been stuck in the house for the last 2 days feeling very ill.

I know now I will be OK today. Posting how I felt has helped a lot!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, stone! Food does sound like a good idea. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

That sounds yummy, Stone (except for kidneys!!).
Old 09-28-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stone...hang on my friend, you are sick and you defenses are down. It's insanity for sure but we all go thru it. The brain has this ability to block out pain and forget hard times. It is part of the human design....In our case a great ability of the human body can be detrimental to our goal. You will feel worse, in every way if you drink...There is nothing positive to be gained...grab a book, turn on the TV do anything to distract yourself...the cravings will go away, it just seems like they won't. Feel better Stone!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

What about looking in the paper for a treadmill? I found if I kept busy I could kill a few hours at least. I had to get through a ton of Friday nights by treadmilling. lol
Today is a new day.......I hope you can get to the gym tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
The brain has this ability to block out pain and forget hard times. It is part of the human design....In our case a great ability of the human body can be detrimental to our goal. You will feel worse, in every way if you drink...
That is so true Bugs, thanks!

Thanks Bamboozle and lostbutterfly too.

Stubborn1, I was looking at cross-trainers but they are a bit expensive, good idea though. If I am slightly better tomorrow I am going to the gym.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru this difficult time. Just remember how far you've come in your sober journey. You don't want to give in to those cravings cause you know where that would take you - and you don't want to go back to that awful place.

You can do this!!

:ghug3
Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Least.

Thanks everyone, these cravings are moments of insanity and they can go as quickly as they arrive.

Admitting how I felt and your support REALLY helped.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I am cooking steak and kidney pudding (don't ask, it's a British thing!)

OK. sorry, i know you said not to but i must... i can't resist.... can a girl get some enlightenment on this lovely kidney pudding thing? i mean that doesn't exactly sound like my preconcieved notion of "comfort food" lol...BUT if you like it I love it!

So glad you're feeling better.

V
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
OK. sorry, i know you said not to but i must... i can't resist.... can a girl get some enlightenment on this lovely kidney pudding thing? i mean that doesn't exactly sound like my preconcieved notion of "comfort food" lol...BUT if you like it I love it!

So glad you're feeling better.

V
Wikipedia describes it as.....
Steak and kidney pudding is a dish made by enclosing diced steak and beef, lambs or pigs kidney pieces in gravy in a suet pastry.
It is the suet pastry that has the comfort factor! LOL
Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

My tip for what its worth

Rochester Ginger - traditional ginger drink- says its got the kick of 2 angry mules

Most importantly its non-alcoholic !!!!!!!!!

I got a bottle of it in Holland and Barret ( Healthfood type shop in Scotland, presume its all over the UK ) for about 3 quid.

It was great when I had the cold, had some on its own with ice and it really nipped the back of your throat just the way you need when your choked up.

I also added some to lemsip which was ok as well.

Traditionally I was always a good nip of whisky in my lemsips, that always just mixed with the half bottle of vodka I'd drink daily as a matter of course though giving me a bigger hangover next morning !!!!!!!!!

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow Stone. Glad you reached out. I think that's how this SR thing works. Its pretty cool. I hope you feel better soon and I am glad you are working past your cravings. 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at. Get it - cold, sneeze. Never mind. I haven't had any caffeine yet.

:ghug3

Not sure about the kidney pudding by the way, but chili is my comfort food. Who am I to talk?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Wikipedia describes it as.....

It is the suet pastry that has the comfort factor! LOL
lol,.,.,. me thinks i'll stick with dark chocolate and mocha latte's but if i ever head that way... i'll break down and try it.

V
Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Stoney . I'm so glad you posted this time instead of just giving in and disappearing for a few days.

Kidney pie wouldn't make me feel better ... but if it's comforting to you go for it. Tea and staying in bed is a good idea too.

If you're too sick to get to a meeting, call one of your AA peeps... or at least stick around here. You have tons of support here at your fingertips.

I'm so proud of you for posting about this first!!!

Love ya babes .
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That sounds good Fizzy! I like ginger ale, Morrisons do a good one. We do have Holland and Barret here too.

Thanks Horselover. (sneeze at! lol)

Freshstart, I did say 'don't ask' lol!