Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

has you depression gone or decreased after becoming sober?

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have found my head clearing and certainly more in control of my anger and emotions,much more patient now.My depression is not as bad which makes me wonder.....I used to alcohol because of my depression,was it in fact holding me back from getting well??Anyone else found this?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't normally say to much on this board because I am still trying to find some
wisdom to apply to my own life, but as a recovering alcoholic, and addict of many forms, I was taught very early in my sobriety that alcohol is a depressant.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

I think that alcohol can indeed hinder our progress.
We may think it helps, but, it only masks the problems in our lives.
When we awaken from our drunken state, we still have the same problems, and often, more - due to the drinking!

The hangover is a simple detox. It causes the body anxiety and can manifest itself in anger, depression and other emotions. Getting sober can clear those emotions up and allow us to see the light of day once more. And what a beautiful day it can be!

Alcohol is indeed a depressant. If you suffer from chemical depression, alcohol is not your friend at all. And if alcohol is causing your depression, it's time to recognize that you may need to put down the bottle. It may be causing a problem in your life.

Shalom!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
I think that alcohol can indeed hinder our progress.
We may think it helps, but, it only masks the problems in our lives.
When we awaken from our drunken state, we still have the same problems, and often, more - due to the drinking!

The hangover is a simple detox. It causes the body anxiety and can manifest itself in anger, depression and other emotions. Getting sober can clear those emotions up and allow us to see the light of day once more. And what a beautiful day it can be!

Alcohol is indeed a depressant. If you suffer from chemical depression, alcohol is not your friend at all. And if alcohol is causing your depression, it's time to recognize that you may need to put down the bottle. It may be causing a problem in your life.

Shalom!
yes agree with all your saying,love the lighthouse pictures by the way,have a fondness for them(where can I find that picture you have please?)
Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hiya, Soup!
Well, the avitar, I found on google. I just put on the image mode for a rainbow and a lighthouse. The rainbow is a symbol for my dad who passed away 6 years ago; the lighthouse for my son who is a heroin addict. It is to show him the way home...

The other one, I honestly can't remember where I got it from!
You can try googling it. But, my friend Ann put in the word IMAGINE for me, cuz, that's my signature line.

Good luck with the depression and such...
Let us know how it's going!

Shalom!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

being sober helps control my moods it also helps that the meds seem to be working I also practice dbt skills and try hard to be healthy in the end 8 month sober and working towards health have kept me from psychotic episodes and being hospitalized. life is much better now even though it seems hard to keep it up sometimes.

one day at a time
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been clean from booze for almost 4 years and coke for 15 months.....I am still waiting for it to leave me but I also have mental health issues but for you I am so glad, some people use it to "control" their depression like me......I love being about to feel again, even if it isnt something I want to feel......good luck!

Hugs,
Pamm
Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Worse. Much worse. But I've only been clean six days.

I know I just need to be patient about learning to cope without my "medication." And that I need to be patient for the treatment I'll be starting next week.

Right now I'm just trying to do what I have to do as part of life. I'm pushing myself to eat, to open up (as here or in a journal) and ride this out. I have to go to the store and an AA meeting tonight and even though I know I'll make it out, I'm dreading it.

Bah, sorry for being the Negative Nancy.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I came off a major binge on August 22 and am still have horrible Depression, Anxiety and insomnia. I'm at that point where I have to really push myself to do the smallest of things. Just hoping that it's part of the post acute withdrawal syndrome and that it will get better over time. I was prescribed Lexapro and Temezepam but I'm reluctant to start taking the Lexapro and then have to worry about going through withdrawal from that.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I was heavily depressed. It got to the point where I thought, "I wouldn't kill myself...but I understand why people do". Since I got sober, it has lifted completely. I still have bad days, but the "good" in life comes through much quicker and clearer for me, so it lifts very quickly.

Wish you all the best!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I really don't know if I drank because I was depressed or if I was depressed because I drank. Maybe I was depressed because I was an alcoholic. Now that I am sober, I am no longer depressed.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For you guys whose depression lifted after you quit drinking, how long did it take?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sure I was medicating when I drank. It's been a little over 14 years since I've had a drink When I initially came back to AA after a relapse, I got a sponsor, worked the steps and had a service commitment. Life got better for a while. I was able to walk through fear but still had issues with anxiety around people. I also still suffered from depression.

I saw a shrink in I believe it was 1999 and was prescribed anti-depressants. I tried several of them but they didn't seem to help all that much. I changed jobs and stopped seeing her. In 2004 I moved and any type of major stress brings on depression. I didn't want to move but had issues with the neighbors. It turned into a legal thing and I figured it was time to move before I took matters into my own hands.

I asked for my Higher Power whim I choose to call God, for the knowledge of his will for me and the courage and strength to carry it out. I asked one time to get the house I ended up with but retracted the prayer. I never thought that maybe I wasn't supposed to buy another house. The new house has a much heftier mortgage and now seems like more of a burden rather than a blessing. My mind tells me that I should have pocketed the money I got from the sale of my house and became a renter again. But back then it seemed like home prices were only going up.... Who knew that we were headed for togh economic times?

Anyway, the anti-depressants (Lexapro) that I started in 2004 helped but I didn't like the sexual side effects. In June, without consulting my doctor or my sponsor I stopped taking them. Things were great for a while then I became extremely depressed again. When I started taking them again in late August/Early Sept., I had a reaction or seemed to.... it may have been the economic collapse that triggered the anxiety, I don't know. I started taking Lexpro again on a Friday. Monday I had acute anxiety... I made it to work Mon,Tue and Wed. On Thursday I called in sick. I noticed that I was feeling just a little better until I took the Lexapro which is where I got the idea that it might be the cause. I called my sponsor and spoke with my doctor. He wanted me to continue taking Lexapro for a few more days. It was a very rough time. He finally had me stop taking Lexapro and after a couple of days prescribed Zoloft. I haven't experienced severe anxiety but I still feel depressed, not as bad as before I started taking the Zoloft but bad enough.

I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor as I've asked him for a referral to a shrink to see if I might be suffering from Bi-Polar II. I've always thought that I couldn't be Bi-Polar because I hadn't experienced a manic state but then someone responded to one of my posts and said that they had been diagnosed with BP II and they had not experienced a manic state either.

Despite trying to look at the positive, praying and giving thanks for all that I have been given, life is a real drag right now. I won't commit suicide because of my religious beliefs but I'm really tired of this life.

I believe that anti-depressants help some more than others. I'm glad you have found some relief from depression after you quit drinking.

Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

relapsed 6 months ago, depressed but cant commit to change right now