Notices

A reminder for me...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A reminder for me...

It's very easy to see just how much I need the support of AA during the not so good times, but the other day I had a reminder that when things are going well in my life, I need it just that much more.

As the big book states, I only have a daily reprieve, contingent on the maintenance of spiritual principles. When I rest on my laurels, and become complacent, I'm headed in the wrong direction.

In a small town of 3000, it doesn't take long for word to spread on anything, including the latest DUI's.

Yep, a 'former' member of AA, who had come to experience many many blessings in his life due to AA, including landing the best job he had after finding recovery, got complacent.

We haven't seen him at meetings for over a year.

I suspect that he will be court-ordered back.

At any rate we will welcome him with open arms, and I thank God for the reminder that I need AA just as badly for the good times as well as the bad times
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there....glad you've found a method that works for you! I, too, have to be diligent when I'm feeling good...I rarely want to drink during bad/stressful times...but as soon as there's happiness, I want to "celebrate".
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

I no longer need to go to meetings, live the 12 steps, talk to my sponsor & other alcoholics, and learn anything more about alcoholism. I have learned my lesson and I now have the knowledge I need to say sober without any help. Occasionally, I still get these thoughts. The re-emergence of the ego, self-will.

My sponsor planted a thought in my head for when I get too cocky. If I feel so damn good about my sobriety, get to a meeting and help someone. I may not feel like I need a meeting but it isn’t all about me.

Most of the time, I have no issues with doing what I have to do. I actually enjoy it for the most part. I know where I would end up if I stopped. AA is a true privilege and a blessing. Meetings plus the 12 steps practically guarantees my sobriety.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL Gravity I had to reread your post a second time to get what you were saying!

I sometimes get a bit scared when things are really going well, I will get those thoughts as well. The thinking that kept me drinking slowly sneaks back in, telling me "Dude your doing good, you can skip your home group meeting, or not go to that newcomers meeting, it is a big meeting, they won't even notice you didn't show, why go to the meeting in the re-hab, you probably will never see them again any how, they are from all over the country. I don't need to call my sponsor and talk, everything is going fine and he has 19 years so he don't need me calling him, you don't need to return that sponsee's call, he has other folks numbers..........

It is then that I need the program most I have found, these are the times when to not reat on my laurels, I need to go to meetings and work with others the most to where I can help others by sharing my joys and also to rejoice in the new found freedom of others.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent Thread