Notices

Do unto others

Old 08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Do unto others

As we all know, the AA program is based on 'self forgetting' so what are some kind anonymous things YOU do for others?

The purpose of this thread isn't to see who is the 'wellest' but rather to share information.

I'm always open to new tips on how I can better serve my fellows.

I may not be in the right spirit for this today as the only thing I can think of right now is letting others cars in in front of me in bad traffic or people in front of me in a long line at the bank/supermarket etc...

What do you do?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As an active drunk I was a menace to John Public. I was not usually the "happy drunk" type, so i guess the greatest "anonymous gift" i could have given anyone is to get sober and stay sober and to stop being such a dam nuisance to everyone on the streets.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I think this is a great idea for a thread -
to help us give others ideas of how we try to 'pay it forward'....

I use the computer at my neighbor's house - this morning, I noticed her dishes were piled up - she's been working a LOT and has a new boyfriend....

so I did her dishes for her.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have a friend who travels often...he brings me those complimentary
bottles of lotion/shampoo/soaps/conditioners.

I like to put them in my neighborhood mail boxes....
and in mine too....so no one knows where they come from.

....We joke that someone wants us
"poor little old ladies" to smell and look nice.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in and out of sky scrapers and businesses all day.. I always try to hold the doors open for people with a smile.

I usually get a thank you and a smile in return.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some years ago....there was a fad in America.
It was called "Random Acts of Kindnesses"

The idea was
to do at least one each day for a stranger.

Perhaps it's time for a re birth?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Few months ago, I paid $30 towards a friends cell phone bill via online. She never knew who did it, but I know if mustve helped as she is quite broke. Made me feel good about me.

I also like to return my shopping cart back to the grocery store. Its a small deal, but its one less cart the poor kid has to fetch.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Some years ago....there was a fad in America.
It was called "Random Acts of Kindnesses"

The idea was
to do at least one each day for a stranger.

Perhaps it's time for a re birth?
If I feel like throwing my toys out of the cot, nothing changes my state of mind faster than doing something kind for someone else.

I just have to remember to remember this!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I look for the simple little things to do at all times, picking up a piece of trash, holding a door, letting a car in line, saying good morning to some one who looks like they need a kind word, simply smiling at someone, thanking some one for doing the littlest of things.

Nothing major yet, I just try to do what my HP gives me the opportunity to do.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

last winter my 87 yr old sponsor was having money problems.I had a friend who runs a service station and fuel oil business go over to his house and fill up his fuel oil tank and send me the bill,and not tell him who did it.
Every winter my wife and I seek a needy family to help,A family with lots of kids.
A friend in Philly does this,and he says he considers it a amends since back when he was drunk his kids went without so much and he ruined so many holidays for them showing up drunk.Now,they are all grown and moved out.He got me to thinking,I did the same thing..
Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

bballdad there are more good samaritans around that remain anonymous then we will ever know. My wife works for an oil company and they have several people show up during the winter months anonymously paying fuel oil bills for those in need. My wife loves to see the smile on that needy persons face when they come in to work a deal with them to pay thier bill when they find out they owe nothing!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do unto others

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we all know, the AA program is based on 'self forgetting' so what are some kind anonymous things YOU do for others?

I did that last night
I was on a long line
a gentleman with a cane was behind me
as the line progressed
I asked him if he wanted to get ahead of me
as I was in no rush
what is a few minutes
he smiled and said no
but, but, but
as i left the store
i got the old coffee
and
sat by a church
just minding my own business
a prayer, a look around at the passer-bys
the tsedriew (i spell it backwards on purpose cause it was weird) thing happenned
a gentleman passed by
turnbed around
and
said "here"
i was puzzled and curious
before i could call back to him
he handed me $0.56
boy, if that is not enough to make you atwitter
seconds later
a woman handed me a brown bag
i just said "thank you"
when i got home there was a sandwich inside
so
kindness pays
but
a real hero is someone who does a kind act with no ambition for financial reward, acknowledgement, glory, etc
some of the beautiful gesture i read on this thread
helping others, family, friends, etc

i always try to just "let me bring light where there are shadows"
brighten up someones day
a smile to a stranger
a 'good morning' to a neighbor
a buck to a homeless guy
i went on a retreat in april
I asked to take some of the leftover snacks at the end of the weekend
when i got off in midtown
i went to a small park kinda known as a safe haven for the homeless
i distributed the treats, said a prayer
just went on my way
i , i,
enough said
Old 08-23-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The little things. Answering the phone, calling, sending uplifting msgs., telling others how wonderful I think they are and how much I admire them (right down to my kiddos) and if I can afford it......it's always nice to get little presents to give, the smile on another's face is very rewarding.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I just found out my neighbor's BOYFRIEND tried to take credit for the dishes - she told him no way - that she knew I'd been down here that day, and -
she didn't have to wash 'em again ... so she knew it wasn't him !!!

LMAO!!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Is it me or are we in a sad state of affairs when we only have a couple of people posting/offering tips on how to show kindness to others????

:wtf2
Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hey liz...I try to do anonomous kind acts to other people, but if i post them they are no longer quite the same as are no longer done without recognition. Sorta silly I guess...just wanted to say that there might be others who didn't post for that reason, my experience is that the people on SR do tend toward kindess towad others most of the time.:ghug3
Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Well maybe they'd like to include anon acts that aren't carried out on SR?
Maybe? We can all learn from each other right?

And they don't have to be anon acts either....
I.e. My older sister (Al Anoner) subscribed my daughter/her niece to this pet magazine this year for no reason other than she loves her.

I've just thought of another one I used to do too.
GSO New York used to offer 1x free grapevine magazine, I suppose as a sample, and I use to fill in the form and send them to my friends.
(((thanks GSO New York))))
Dunno if they still do it.

I've recently registered myself as a 'homer' (with Loners International) and am thinking when I write (pen to paper, not fingers to keyboard) to other members I will send them an old copy of my countries 'grapevine'. Ours is called 'mainstay'.....
Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Doing something good for someone but telling no one about it. A great practice in humility. It helps me focus on the deed and not the accolades I dream of receiving
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like being able to be there for my friends and family, I like the fact that I have regained trust in many areas where it was lost. I show up to work on time - and I truly give my best for those who employee me.

I smile at strangers, and say hello to those who make eye contact. I find myself walking away from argument and no longer do I honk horn or throw hands in the air when I get cut off on freeway.

Sorry if this seems a little generalized - but there are things that I have done/do which could be listed. If I start listing specifics than that means I want to take the credit - when I know where the credit goes today if this body and mind take action in the form of loving kindness/compassion - it certainly isn't me...

The greatest things I have done - I didn't even realize I did them. People thanked me and I was not sure why. I was just being myself.

There's no need for extra effort when it comes to helping others - it's the primary purpose today.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

hey liz...I try to do anonomous kind acts to other people, but if i post them they are no longer quite the same as are no longer done without recognition. Sorta silly I guess...
I don't think that is silly at all, I pretty much feel the same way, one of the reasons I kept my share in a general way what I do to help others.

Helping others is an important part of sobriety, the particulars of exactly who and exactly what we do I agree does detract from what we do. The men and women who have helped me since I got sober were not seeking recognition, they were simply giving away freely what they were given so freely.

I will paraphrase this because I am far from being a Bible scholar, but it says something about giving away freely with ones left hand without the right hand knowing about it.