Notices

Finally...day 1

Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally...day 1

I have had many days where I do not drink but I always knew that I would only last a week or a few days before going on a bender. Tried to convince myself for a long time that this was normal behaviour. This weekend was a nightmare and I drank until I couldn't anymore. Have an excrutiating hangover but working through it and going to a meeting each night this week.

Huge relief having finally admitted what I am

:praying
Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No AA

tea

glad you are here--we have lots of support for you
im on day 8 and can't believe i didn't drink this weekend but i did come in here every single day and post at least once. sometimes here is the only thing that helps.
make sure to read thru older posts and esp sticky posts at the top of the main forums. they have lots of info. i think you will find at least one or lots of ppl here to identify with and who will identify with you. there's good ppl here.
take care of yourself (make sure to drink lots of liquid today)
and keep coming back

faith
Old 07-07-2008, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi faith

Day 8 for me too. Today is not a good day. Just got out of the bed wrong side. Or maybe its the fact I'm doing a personal inventory. Not nice what I see
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Hang in there Tea! Sounds if we share a somewhat similar history. I'm not letting go of the pain and agony of my last binge, and I find it helpful to continue my sobriety.

Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tea4me,

I've heard and I like the saying that Step 1 is the only step we have to get perfect, so you're already batting a thousand! For me, the only thing that kept me Sober and put me on the road to RECOVERY was AA. Overcome whatever apprehension you may have and go to a meeting. Nobody will judge you and they're all just like you, a sound support group will do wonders for you! If per chance you don't like the meeting you go to, find another one and then keep coming back. Failing all else, keep coming back, there's a saying "fake it til you make it.", there's wisdom there.

Best of luck,

John
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by 22NGONE View Post
Tea4me,

I've heard and I like the saying that Step 1 is the only step we have to get perfect, so you're already batting a thousand! For me, the only thing that kept me Sober and put me on the road to RECOVERY was AA. Overcome whatever apprehension you may have and go to a meeting. Nobody will judge you and they're all just like you, a sound support group will do wonders for you! If per chance you don't like the meeting you go to, find another one and then keep coming back. Failing all else, keep coming back, there's a saying "fake it til you make it.", there's wisdom there.

Best of luck,

John
What John said - it works if you work it, and you can do it!

Cathy31
x
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tea4Me (Love that name by the way)..
Welcome here! I was in your shoes not too long ago, Thought I could just drink for special occasions, then just the weekends. Well, that didn't work at all. Stick with us, we can fight this together. I've made it longer than I ever have before all because of this website and my friends here...

Heavy
Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am also fighting to get and stay sober. It's very comforting to have the support and wisdom of the members here.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Always we begin again

Day 1

Today is day 1 for me too, again. Step one, admitting that I have a problem, has been, probably still is, a bit of a problem for me. I like to think I don't really have a problem because I don't quite drink every day, and because I don't drink and drive, and because I only drink a few beers or glasses of wine, and because it isn't interfering with my job and my bills and my relationships. Well, not much, anyway. The problem that I have is that I am afraid of what will happen when I stop drinking.
So, I am at step one, admitting. It's going to be a long road, but I guess I need to remember that right now, I only have to do this for 24 hours.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Tea!

It was a huge relief for me too, when I finally said 'Enough'!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Tea....Good for you....

iamsomebody....there must be a reason you
want to quit. Focus on that
Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Tea,
That is EXACTLY how I felt! The HUGE relief to FINALLY admit what I was. That was 60 days ago today and I am so happy to be here!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

TTOSBT

Way to go on 60 days! 3

Tea4me :

Cathy31
x
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Day 2 and feeling great! Did not realise that I still smelled of booze when I was at work. I thank God I never have to do that again but still keeping it in the day. The meeting last night was so powerful and filled up some of the "hole in the soul" left by alcohol.

Thanks so much to all of you for replying to my post. Still navigating my way through this wonderful site. Filled with hope and happiness knowing that there is life after alcohol.

Meeting with my sponsor this afternoon and going to tell him everything. Will chat soon

Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

T4me that is awesome, we all have to get full in order to stop and stay stopped. Crazy in a way, some of us die trying to get full, some of us get full quickly and some of us slowly. The sad thing is the majority of us die with out ever recovering.

A good sponsor is a great help, they can not keep you sober, only you can do that, but a sponsor can share their experience, strength, and hope with you to help you stay sober as well as make suggestions of things to do that helped them stay sober. Stay in touch with your sponsor daily, get phone numbers in meetings and call them!!!!! Trust me, when people give you thier phone number they want you to call them, you are helping them stay sober when you call them just as much as they can help you stay sober.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Tazman53, just finished meeting with sponsor and he really made things much clearer for me as to why I drink. I have decided to stop being someone who I would like others to see and just to be me.

Going to a meeting just now and will get those numbers! (Already have quite a few, just never phoned them in the past -but that is history) Still no drinking and had to stop myself thinking a few times today but thanks to God and AA I have not had a drink today!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have decided to stop being someone who I would like others to see and just to be me.
That is the attitude, a huge part of recovery I have found is becoming comfortable in my own skin........ not someone elses!!! LOL I have found that when all I do is try to please others and be like others would like me to be, I am not comfortable with me.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Right off to dinner-sans alcohol- with fellow AA member and then meeting. Hope that the rest of your day is as happy and sober as mine has been! Will post tomorrow