Notices

My first post

Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

I will make this brief. Perhaps.

First, I wish to introduce myself and give gratitude for this resource. There don't seem very many for someone (although a professional) lives in a log cabin in extreme north Idaho.

What do I hope to gain? Knowledge and some close confidants.

What do I hope to avoid? Preaching and smarminess. Oh, and of course alcohol.

I am not about to write a novella regarding my "story" quite yet. I'm still trying, in a way, what it is.

Briefly, I was sober for quite a while and then relapsed to my main trigger. It has cost me (dui last Friday) dearly.

My use of alcohol has had less to do with the need for the chemical as for the need to dull emotional pain.

I'm sober since the incident and am having no physical problem. I was not a quart of liqour/day person, but a few to several beers/day person. Same bloody thing when it interferes with the relationships most dear to you.

I've been to AA and find much lacking. That has to do with my personality, not AA. I tend to look for answers in bio-psycho-social terms. I avoid becoming absorbed in rigid ideology, as it causes me to immediately look for flaws. Not a good thing when one needs help.

I will return to AA if I can. Local meetings fall outside my ability to conveniently attend. Not an excuse, a reality.

I seek dialog with similar folk. People who must go past AA and "programs." Valuable tools they are, but in some of us, not the complete answer. We must delve to find why we use alcohol. That often lies deep within psyche and experience. And at age 60, I have no shortage of that.

It almost feels like I'm online "dating." Looking for compatible soulmates. People who are interested in more than one-liners, but substantive conversation. People who have knowledge and wisdom beyond mine. Obviously I have little of the latter.

The nature of my career is such that I may go days without responding, even when I wish to do that most. It is not affrontery, simply reality. Other days I may write profusely.

If you or know of others who may similar, please feel free to contact me.

Again, I don't know if this medium is for me. I am very computer literate, but have never chatted and rarely do more than read discussion groups. So I take a risk here. Is it the right thing? Will it be an effective tool? Or will I be gone in a week, searching for something else? I dunno, but the stakes and potential rewards are great enough to give it a try.

Thanks for reading this, and again, if I don't respond quickly, please don't take it personally. In my life and career I am used to giving more than I take.

Respectfully,

Warrens
Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi warrens,

My therapist says that my drinking problem has to do with current stress and past traumas. You might want to look into these types of things to find your triggers. Just my opinion. *hugs*
Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,

I'm glad that you found this site, and hope that you find it as helpful as I have. I have built strong connections here as well as in the rooms of AA, and my life has improved in ways beyond measure.
My best to you.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Warrens..

Many good people here, pull up a chair..stay awhile...lol

May you find what you are searching for.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, two replies in minutes! Gives me hope that this may in fact be a tool. Of course it is simply software. The "tools" are the people that sincerely utilize it. In my recent searching for such a forum, I was dismayed by the fact that most were far from active, some with but a few messages/day or even less. A waste of time.

Thank you, you give me hope that I may eventually become a productive member and an asset to others.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Hi warrens,

My therapist says that my drinking problem has to do with current stress and past traumas. You might want to look into these types of things to find your triggers. Just my opinion. *hugs*
Duh!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being facetious in the least. What you describe is precisely the issue with me. Thank you
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
Wow, two replies in minutes! Gives me hope that this may in fact be a tool. Of course it is simply software. The "tools" are the people that sincerely utilize it. In my recent searching for such a forum, I was dismayed by the fact that most were far from active, some with but a few messages/day or even less. A waste of time.

Thank you, you give me hope that I may eventually become a productive member and an asset to others.

Hi Warrens!

I have been here maybe less than a week, and believe me, my first post was responded to quickly and I have already found comfort with the people in this forum. Definitely not a waste of time for me, quite the opposite.

Folks here are no strangers to the struggle of addiction, and will share with no judgements and a honest desire to help others and help themselves remain with recovery.

Glad to see you here!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Hi Warrens,

I'm not sure that I'm the right person to join you in this dialogue, but I can certainly try.

I am 65 Days sober, and have found this board to be a real comfort and solace, and a very giving support community. I am an alcoholic and addict, and while my addictive nature has brought me to the gutter a few times, I've always been a high achiever.

I maintained a semblance of normality that surpassed a lot of other people (in my mind, anyway), and I always did what needed to be done. I held down a job (although I changed a few), a relationship (which finally ended because of alcoholism), and found myself losing control of my life.

I go to one AA meeting a week, because I like being there, I feel comfortable and relaxed, and I know that I can take what I need. I think that there are some people who have been robbed so completely by alcohol and their inner demons that, for them, AA is the only thing that keeps them alive and sober.

At first, I thought - what kind of a life is that? Meeting to meeting, only talking about alcohol all day every day, only interacting with other alcoholics? And I realised - compared to the alternative (gutter, homelessness, incarceration), it's a fantastic life. For those that seem fanatical, I have to remind myself that they came from a place that I can't imagine in my worst nightmares. Some of them have killed family members, have spent years locked up, have ruined every thing that mattered to them.

While I have been in danger of those things, they haven't happened to me - yet. I know that my recovery lies in addressing my emotional and spiritual problems, and I believe this is true of every person that suffers with addiction, whether it be food, alcohol, drugs, religion or even... AA meetings!

What I think is important is the understanding that those 12 steps are there so that we CAN address our emotional and spiritual shortcomings. If you are afraid of the rigidity of the system, perhaps it is that you are afraid to try the steps because you WILL have to face your demons?

If you're not afraid, just do it and think of the possible outcomes. You will either get nothing from applying yourself to this system, or you will gain something. It will not harm you, nor will it rob you or cost you anything. On the contrary, it is an opportunity.

If you don't feel as though you are a desperate enough alcoholic (no shakes/withdrawals, etc.), think of it as a personal development course, and nothing else.

I initially went to AA after reading a book called "The 12 Steps to Spiritual Recovery", adapted from the AA Big Book. I decided that I wanted to address my personal issues, and that the steps seemed like a good tool for finally dealing with whatever pain or emotional trauma keeps driving me to self-destruction.

You can reply to this, or not - but I'm here if you'd like to chat. Just writing this down has helped me clarify what it is that I seek in recovery, so I thank you for posting and inspiring me to reply.

NDZ
Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Warrens,

I am glad you found us and I hope that you will find this community as comfortable as I have. This place is my lifeline and has been for a long time. Coming here gives me hope and inspiration and also reminds me of the pain of addiction.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

For me I moved to a remote part of maine thinking that it would help me get sober.
In some ways it kept me away from some drugs but my addiction always led me to places I could get other drugs or alcohol. The lonliness and isolation drove me to drink and I found that in many ways I needed more social contact and a change of the people I was hanging out with to get sober. This is one of the places I find that. There are alot of people who care here and alot of support to be had.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've heard of people being too smart for AA but never to dumb.

Welcome to the site.

Scan thru the alcoholism sites on here, see if you can find any similarities from other people on here.

I'd urge you to give AA another shot. I didn't take to well to suggestions from the start either. I do have 8 and a half years of sobriety.

Not getting on your case but, what you were doing, appears not to be working for you.

To tell you the truth, I stayed in AA and sober just to prove to any smart @ss if, they can get sober, I could as well.

One thing, I'd like to ask, have your really had enough?

I'm not going to b.s you, don't try to think being sober, it'll drive you insane!! Obviously, being intelligent can't keep you sober on that merit alone.

Care to go into more detail about your drinking habits? What's going on when, you feel like over indulging?

Part of getting sober is to explore what triggers us to drink. People, places and things can cause many of us to have a desire to drink to intoxication. If, I hang in bars, I'll drink. If, I hang with people that drink, I'll drink. If, I can't control my temper about certain personal problems, I'll drink etc.

Some of what I've written, might make you angry. That's not my point in making my comments.

The lack of peace and happiness is truly a void in most of us. The inability to have acceptance to things we have no control over drives many of us insane. This in itself, drives most of us to drink. Do things, that you have no control over make you angry?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Warrens,
This is a very active site, with many diverse and varied opinions. Something for everyone. You will no doubt find many here willing to dialogue, even more to debate. Good luck with your sobriety and hope to hear more from you.

For what it's worth, AA is where I was able to delve into the root causes of my alcoholism, to discover what it was in my life experience, what was buried deep within, that caused my self-destructive behavior.

I, too, was taken aback by what I thought was rigid ideology, but have been pleasantly surprised. I've found the AA "program" to be quite freeing and open-ended. I've tried to avail myself of all the suggestions, and have found that it works - for me. I hope I don't sound preachy, I try not to be. I'm just happy I got sober in time to get a life. Hope to hear more from you.
Mike in Boston, MA
Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a wonderful reply. You hit on some close similarities between us.

The last thing I would do is denigrate AA or the steps. I fully plan to involve myself in both. Been there done that, although it's been years.

No, I'm not "down and out." Never been there, thank god. Only loved ones and my need to achieve has kept me from that. But little seperates those who "achieve," and those under a bridge. We are of the same ilk.

I admit, because of where I live that most at AA meetings I have little in common with except alcohol and its effects. I know less of Australia than I should, but perhaps its like having advanced degrees in the outback. An experiential difference that causes me to appear arrogant, when I hope I am far from that.

I would like to chat. I confess I'm clueless as to how to "stop the internal dialogue." Since I was able to think linguistically, it has been ceaseless. A quest for self understanding. Obviously I have been less than successful.

My family has been very supportive. Even my ex, who is "ex" because of my previous descent. I have a current partner who should be running faster than a kangaroo with its tail on fire. But she isn't. Gratitude. I need to deserve it and that is why I am here.

I'm still learning the nuances of this group and this software. It will take time. But I'm already convinced that even if I meet but a few kindred souls, it will be worth it. I suspect it will be some time until I am able to provide some wisdom to others, but I look forward to that time.

Thanks, mate!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

HI Warren, i grew up just across the line from you in the Kootenys. That really stinks you got a DUI, i am assuming that you live in a small community with limited to no public transit. I just got a DUI in August. I too was interested in the science of addiction. This knowledge was helpful to understand what i was going through physically but it really didn't do anything for me emotionally. This site is loaded with goodies and experience from all kinds of different types of people and with different paths leading to sobriety. I have found that somthing can be learned from every one of them. Looking forward to learning from you
Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I've heard of people being too smart for AA but never to dumb.

Welcome to the site.

Scan thru the alcoholism sites on here, see if you can find any similarities from other people on here.

I'd urge you to give AA another shot. I didn't take to well to suggestions from the start either. I do have 8 and a half years of sobriety.

Not getting on your case but, what you were doing, appears not to be working for you.

To tell you the truth, I stayed in AA and sober just to prove to any smart @ss if, they can get sober, I could as well.

One thing, I'd like to ask, have your really had enough?

I'm not going to b.s you, don't try to think being sober, it'll drive you insane!! Obviously, being intelligent can't keep you sober on that merit alone.

Care to go into more detail about your drinking habits? What's going on when, you feel like over indulging?

Part of getting sober is to explore what triggers us to drink. People, places and things can cause many of us to have a desire to drink to intoxication. If, I hang in bars, I'll drink. If, I hang with people that drink, I'll drink. If, I can't control my temper about certain personal problems, I'll drink etc.

Some of what I've written, might make you angry. That's not my point in making my comments.

The lack of peace and happiness is truly a void in most of us. The inability to have acceptance to things we have no control over drives many of us insane. This in itself, drives most of us to drink. Do things, that you have no control over make you angry?
I'm still learning the intricacies of this board; how to reply, etc., even though I'm pretty computer literate.

Lots of truth in your message, and no, I take offense to none of it. I'm frequently regarded as a smart @ss because of the way I speak and write. I do so because of the way I was educated and because of the way I think.

I was actually raised on the streets of Chicago in an Italian ghetto. I am well aware that intellectualizing is a form of minimizing. I' also aware that many of the most famous writers, artists, thinkers, etc were miserable drunks. The mind can be the greatest impediment.

You asked about my habits and triggers. Oddly enough, I really never "crave" alcohol for alcohol's sake. I don't know if that is odd or not. I have no cravings now, as I write, except for the cranberry juice beside me.

I drink because of my triggers. Stress, anxiety, and emotional pain, and I've had no shortage of any. Much is self induced. I drink only beer, an elevated alcohol content ale. In quantity, far less than the "typical" drunk. But it affects me just the same. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I'm a lone drinker (drunk). I never go to bars, never drink with others. My lady is around, but she is not a factor. Much of my drinking is ritualized. Do this with a beer, do that with a beer. My temper is pretty much suppressed, which is probably an asset. I don't get enraged when I drink, I drink to become passive. I, like many, "medicate."

I know I've only touched on things. But it's a start. I can't thank you enough for responding and for invoking honesty vis a vis sympathy. Yeah, like anyone else, I desperately need hugs, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here to develop the ability to deserve hugs.

Hope to hear from you again!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

That thin degree of separation between the bridge and the hollow under it is called "AA" for a lot of people, I reckon...

I'm off to work, but I'll be back on later today/tomorrow, keep reading and posting, lots of lovely people here.

ndz
Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StayinAlive View Post
HI Warren, i grew up just across the line from you in the Kootenys. That really stinks you got a DUI, i am assuming that you live in a small community with limited to no public transit. I just got a DUI in August. I too was interested in the science of addiction. This knowledge was helpful to understand what i was going through physically but it really didn't do anything for me emotionally. This site is loaded with goodies and experience from all kinds of different types of people and with different paths leading to sobriety. I have found that somthing can be learned from every one of them. Looking forward to learning from you
I mourn the fact that I may never see Canada again. As you most certainly know, DUI's are a felony in Canada. I would live in Canada if I could, but now I can't even cross the border. Yanks with DUI's are persona non grata. Perhaps for good reason.

I can learn probably the most from those not saddled with intellectual baggage. As you've implied, it is an impediment. I often learn the most from those in diesel soaked overalls. When I lived in Chicago and went to bars, I went not to "fern" bars, but the local tavern because I found the plumbers, truck drivers, and blue collar folks far more interesting than my contemporaries with $50 haircuts.

Thanks for the reply and hope to hear from you again!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

"I went not to "fern" bars, but the local tavern because I found the plumbers, truck drivers, and blue collar folks far more interesting than my contemporaries with $50 haircuts."

Thats funny

you will hear from me again......now i am wondering if i can get into the states
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The point of being on here or, AA etc. is the interaction with others.

It's always good to share what you're feeling. At least on this site, people do understand. Anyone posting with sincerity, will get sincere replies.

Sometimes though, there can be medical problems which are out of the layman's expertise. Severe depression should be discussed with a family physician.

Too often though, people aren't willing to tell their doctor their drinking habits. Drinking caused me depression that, I wasn't aware of for a long time after I'd stopped drinking.

At least, if you can't find common bond at your local AA meetings, you can get some positive feedback here.

Chris
Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Blessings to you and your lady