Notices

I need support

Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need support

First, what a great site..

I have just realized Im an alcoholic. I now understand I cant keep myself from myself at times. I am in the entertainment industry where it is common to have a beer while you work and that is what laid the groundwork for my condition today.

Im a binge drinker and will go for a month or so without, but when I do drink it lasts for about 6 to 7 days and I drink probably a 6 pack of beer or 2 bottles of wine per day and it is affecting all aspects of my life. Tomorrow will be day 1 and Im serious about it.

I cant go to AA meetings because I am terrified of being labeled as what I am. I have the most beautiful girlfriend who I have just been telling I'm stressed from work (which I am) and that is why Im not available to see her. Truth is Im constantly detoxing.

I really tried to make today day 1 but was so sick after 6 straight days of pouring it on I needed to get something to make me feel better. Anyone that is listening, please give me some advice..Thank you
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hello Vegas and welcome, I am glad you are here. There is a lot of wisdom on these pages, please keep posting....someone else will be along shortly.

Cathy (Alcoholic)
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Vegas,

First of all, you're right-- this is a great site, full of some wonderful caring and supportive people.

It's definately not easy getting sober, but it's well worth it. I'm back on the wagon after falling off, and am already feeling better. If you're making a commitment to yourself that tomorrow's your first day of real sobriety, that's fine-- just stick to it. Make yourself as good as your word, beginning with tomorrow. In the meantime, best of luck!

As for AA, people will tell you not to be embaressed, but I understand-- I go to meetings (when I go) a town or two away so I won't be recognized. I don't even want my fellow AAers to recognize me. It's ridiculous, really-- but perhaps it could be a way for you to start the way it's been for me. Just throwing that idea out there.

Best,

B'sT
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you

I think you are right, Im in the desert so I have very limited choices on close towns, but that sounds like a great option!

What a great group of people come here..so impressed ..

I really have to do this. I mean I HAVE TO. I run a successful corporation that is in danger of tanking due to my problems. I really mean tomorrow will be day 1. What do you think are good things to focus on when you are having that urge to slip up?

Last edited by vegas05; 01-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Please come over to our Alcoholism Forum
and read the sticky post.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

Good to see a new member
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

Welcome Vegas, plenty of binge drinkers here (including myself).

Start with day 1 and just take it 1 day at a time. That's what I'm doing

Day 5 and still sober.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

Hey Vegas...I'm so happy you are here...You have took a great step on admitting you have a problem.

I want to hear from you soon. I'm glad about your day one!I wanna hear you keep counting them.

stay strong, Karim
Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Vegas!! Today is Day 1!! Big, fat congrats on your decision. It takes a lot of strength to admit there is a problem, especially when daily you see so many people who don't think that it is. I didn't realize/wouldn't admit how big my problem was until I found this site.

So today is the first day of the rest of your life. In the words of one of my favorite announcers....LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vegas,

Welcome and I am glad you have decided to live a sober life.

This is just my opinion, but I really think you should be honest with your girlfriend. A relationship needs to be based on trust and honesty. One of the reasons I say this, is because I used to lie a lot before I began recovery.

My suggestion would be to remember that stopping drinking is a big step, but only the beginning of recovery.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I cant go to AA meetings because I am terrified of being labeled as what I am.
You don't have to wear a big sign on you saying, "My name is........, and I'm an alcoholic." No Scarlet Letter, or anything!

Go to Open Meetings, where you don't have to do/say a thing...get a cup of coffee, sit back and listen. Keep an open mind. You could be there for reasons other than yourself...a friend, family member, etc. No one has to know your business...it's called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to attending meetings...you'd think it was some kind of Jonestown Cult, for Goodness Sake.
Alcholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks

Very possible I will make the decision to tell her..there are kids involved so I will need to give it some thought...thank you for the advice!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
You don't have to wear a big sign on you saying, "My name is........, and I'm an alcoholic." No Scarlet Letter, or anything!

Go to Open Meetings, where you don't have to do/say a thing...get a cup of coffee, sit back and listen. Keep an open mind. You could be there for reasons other than yourself...a friend, family member, etc. No one has to know your business...it's called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to attending meetings...you'd think it was some kind of Jonestown Cult, for Goodness Sake.
But dont they go around the room doing the whole "Hi, my name is" deal?
How do meetings go?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Don't know how young the kids are, but kids today are more savvy than we give them credit for...lots of tv, movie, and computer exposure...and, they also tend to be more forgiving than many adults. Give them the credit they are due.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by vegas05 View Post
How do meetings go?
I have only been to one meeting in nearly 7 years that went around the room with "hello, my name is.....and I am an alcoholic/addict."

The majority of meetings are not like that. When one is called on to speak by the person chairing the meeting the customary way they start is "my name is..... I am an alcoholic." But I have heard people share that just simply said "hi my name is....... and I am not sure I am an alcoholic" or "my name is ........". You don't even have to talk if you happen to be called on, you just simply say something like "thanks but I will pass," or "thanks but I want to just listen."

After facing my initial fears about AA meetings I found that they are really a great benefit to helping me get and stay sober. I hope you do to.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by vegas05 View Post
How do meetings go?
You've been watching too much tv and/or movies. That's only at Closed Meetings...and, I did suggest Open Meetings. Call your local AA hot-line for a list of Open Speaker Meetings near you. No "introductions" required or expected. If you decide to even talk to anyone there, it is entirely up to you. You can keep as low a profile as you choose.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ok..thanks for the quick response ...Im looking for one now
Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OMG...I forgot...you can even go on-line for info...just type in las vegas aa meetings. I guess I just prefer talking to someone on the phone..."connecting" with another AA, if you will.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, didnt do it the first time...

Messed up, at least I've been eating. Been on the couch trying to detox again. Called my best Bro who tells me Im being too hard on myself but has offered lots of good advice like stay active and Ive been compulsively cleaning. Been Writing a plan to get better.

Man, ive never been like this. I realize now there is mania that happens when you do this to yourself. Its crazy. My dog even thinks Im crazy. every one that knows me would say Im a very stable person, How hard should I be on myself?

The shakes are really bad, drinking a ton of water, now I know what people say when they talk about the "alcoholic smell" and it doesn't come from the mouth.

How do I stop from going and getting another beer when the one I got this morning to ease the shakes wears off?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to your dr? Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

If you get another drink now, you will just have to go through this again. Sadly there is no way around it. You don't have to go through it again, though.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

no, I dont have a Dr..my dad is my Dr if I need something....but you are right, If I get another drink, I'll just have to go through it again. The prob. is my brain. I made it all day yesterday and as soon as I felt good i went to it...freakin stupid. Never again