OT-debit transaction-anyone have this happen?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-debit transaction-anyone have this happen?

Went to Walmart today and bought $60.00 worth of stuff, used my debit card-no problem. I then went to the other grocery store in town and bought my groceries. Again used my debit card and was denied. Tried to put it through twice-denied again. I know that I have plenty of money (over $7,000) in my checking account as of Friday. Has anyone had this happen to them. I am going a bit crazy thinking that somehow someone somewhere has my account numbers and is draining my account. If not, what happened. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to contact my bank and see what happened. Hopefully just a glitch, but it really embarassed me and I had to charge my groceries. Marle
Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Oh that really stinks. Yes, it happened to a woman in front of me at a store....she had just used it at another store and it was denied when she tried a little while later. Sometimes (i've heard) it's a security thing (which stinks for you) if there tends to be alot of use in a small amount of time. At Christmas it also happened to another friend of mine. He used it all day and then was denied too for active use. Hope that's the case here Marle.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you not access your account on-line? Once-the stores card reader was not working properly. Once the system went down. The last time the magnetic strip was damaged and the "smart" cashier did not know how to hand key it in. Had to have a new card issued. Agravating-but I would not worry.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I've had it happen!! Very embarrassing indeed. Heather is right on the money.....sorry bout the pun, but it was a security thing. Still.......a big inconvenience.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had it happen at the SA a couple of weeks ago....the same day I made a purchase somewhere else and all was good...who knows why? I had the $$ in my account.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It happened to me I couldn't believe it. I called the 800 number for the bank and they said it was used to much in a short time. If you bank has a 800 number call it for customer service, at least if it is anything you can advise them now.
Good luck
Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

It happened to me, I believe that when you use it in more than 1 store in a short amount of time the security thingy kicks in.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I feel better to know that it has happened to others. It pisses me off because it is supposed to be like a check. Well I can write as many checks as I want in one day so I should be able to use my debit the same way. Two debits a week is not excessive even if they are on the same day. I will talk to the bank tomorrow. Thanks all, Marle
Old 10-14-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It happened to me when the two stores were related somehow. ??? Maybe the Walmart is also owned by the other store, or visa versa. Don't know; but yes it is frustrating and embarrassing. Of course people in line behind you think you don't have the $$.
Sorry it happened to you too.
Terri
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When it didn't go through at one SA, I went to another SA to gas up the car and it worked at the second one...weird...
Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My bank has a $300 limit
for 24 hours usage. Regarless of your balance.

I quit using Debit and went back
to cash for spending ...checks for monthly bills
for that reason.

I have also found I spend less
when I see cash leave my purse.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carol, It only totalled $200 from both stores. I just always thought that it was my money either way. Guess I was wrong Marle
Old 10-14-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Carol, It only totalled $200 from both stores. I just always thought that it was my money either way. Guess I was wrong Marle
yeah, i only spent something like $12.00...I had a couple thousand in the bank...go figure!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi
Sorry you had this problem with the debit card. When I had a problem with my card and asked at the bank why it was refused they told me to use it as a credit rather than a debit to avoid any problems. So last week the store I was shopping in wanted my zip code, yeah well they had the wrong code in the computer at the bank, so I couldn't use the card even though I had used it 10 minutes before at another store, but at that one without the zip. Technology is wonderful........
Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Here is what I found out. IF I use my card as a Credit Card it is not a problem (it comes out of my checking account either way. IF I use it as a debit card two things happen:

1.) they charge me a fee (they don't charge me a fee if I use it as a charge card, which means they are likely charging the vendor a %)

2.) Back to Back purchases don't work.

So, rather than being denied IF I am using Debit (and I rarely do because of the bank fee for debit), I use the debit at one place and the next place gets a check OR I use it as a credit card.

I hate bank fee. I am not too keen on banks. Fact is, I am not keen on anyone who charges me a fee to spend money with them. Insurance companies do this if you pay more frequently than quarterly too.

In my next life if I cannot be born rich instead of Soooooo Good Looking, I want to at least own a bank or an insurance company (preferably Life Insurance).
Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have found that the debit card works as long as the amount is under 100 dollars.

Those things are tricky. I try not to use it too often.

Good Night, sleep tight.
God Bless our loved ones.
Think of them gently and wish them well.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
On a tear

So Marle, how did this work out?

I've used my (credit union) debit card multiple times in a day at multiple places for lots of different amounts. And I don't think I've EVER had $7,000 in MY account!

But I have known folks whose accounts were frozen due to fraudulent activity, or in error.... or due to id theft.

Do post again and let us know how it is going for you. ((hugs))
Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Computer error and it was not only me that showed up at the bank a little p*ssed off. I love the people in my band and we had a good laugh picturing me trying to show the store clerk my check book and swearing I had enough money in it to cover my groceries My balance is what it should be so the next time I will remember not to freak out. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quite a few years ago, I was paying for a purchase with my credit card, and low and behold as soon as she put through my credit card, she told me she had to cut it up in front of me. I almost died. Here, my husband lost his card and reported it and failed to tell me about it. I was so embarrassed. Husbands! Ugggh.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I also have a limit on what I can spend for debit in one day.
It's a security issue, so if someone stole your card they can't rack up big purchases.

I thought I mentioned this previously, but if not, I'll say it again.

When Mr. Moose and I came home from Canada, the bank had a message on our phone about questionable charges.
We checked our statement and found out someone had been using our card.

Here's the strange part...it was our OLD card, we've had our new one for 2 years! And I presumed when you activated your new card, the old one was defunct...well, the bank told me, sometimes it's OVERLOOKED.

We're not out of billions of dollars, but we are out of approximately $300...we filed a police report, and the bank will most likely reimburse us.

You need to pay close attention to those statements...when they get your card they start out by charging .25 cents and if you do not notice that, they start upping the charges...we couldn't check our statement because we were out of town.....

P.S. The police called yesterday, they want to know if I thought it could be our oldest AS...I said I have no idea.