Notices

Is there any way to stop this???

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Is there any way to stop this???

Recently a bar on the corner near me has been handing out fliers for "Free Beer" at the nearby major intersection.
There's no less than three NA/AA groups that meet in the immediate vicinity. Some of the members were complaining about it, for obvious reasons. Talk about having it shoved in your face. You're on your way to a meeting, having a bad day...someone shoves a flier in your hand, and it says "Free First Beer!, just down the block!".

I don't suppose there's any rule or law or such that could get them to stop or move to somewhere else? One of the group members went down to ask them to stop, but nothing came of it.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard of AA rooms right next to bars. If you're working your recovery, it shouldn't bother you. " We quit fighting anyone or anything....."
Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I pulled off your wings ...

Originally Posted by Sav View Post
Recently a bar on the corner near me has been handing out fliers for "Free Beer" at the nearby major intersection.
There's no less than three NA/AA groups that meet in the immediate vicinity. Some of the members were complaining about it, for obvious reasons. Talk about having it shoved in your face. You're on your way to a meeting, having a bad day...someone shoves a flier in your hand, and it says "Free First Beer!, just down the block!".

I don't suppose there's any rule or law or such that could get them to stop or move to somewhere else? One of the group members went down to ask them to stop, but nothing came of it.

Im from New York too and I am currently looking up some laws in our state regarding this. And if there isnt a law then there should be one
I will let you know what I find
Old 07-29-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmmn...I seem to remember that in New Jersey, at least, they had to stop giving out "free" anything...drinks, food, etc...because it was considered an "enticement" to drink. Of course, I haven't been in a bar in over 27 years, so I don't know if the practice has been stopped or the ban simply ignored.

I'd be interested in learning the results of anyone's research on this.

I agree it might be tough to ignore those pesky flier distributors; but, maybe it's just another test of your commitment to recovery...Lord knows there are plenty of them to face daily.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to focus on what's important to you.

People handing out fliers of any kind, is a pet-peeve of mine, because people take them and throw them on the ground. But, that's another story.

Stay focused on your sobriety and let the people from the bar do their business. Hopefully their flier campaign won't last long.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would not waste too much time worrying about people giving away free beer.

As hard as I can try I cannot isolate myself from the many temptations around me. My greatest defence is to stay focused on my recovery so that my resistance to the temptations will be strong.

Heck if the have to be giving the beer away then the beer business must be down.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would just do my best to ignore them and if someone handed me a flyer I would just say,"No thank you." If there is a Krispy Kreme right next door to a Weight Watchers meeting, we can't expect them to stop advertising their donuts because the people there are trying not to eat them. Maybe a bad comparison, but this bar owner is probably not trying to upset people in AA, just generate business.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You guys tried prohibition. Didn't work.

We can't expect other people not to drink or hand out flyers cos *we* have a problem.

If I wanted to I could rationalise having a drink right now. Whether I had a free flyer or not.

D
Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lurker

FREE BEER!!! Man where was that when I was drinking. Wonder if you could have a couple leave, then go back and get another? Humm? bet it has been tried. Might as well as be giving out free poison, because that is what it is to me. I guess all you can do is prey for the poor people.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostmdboy View Post
FREE BEER!!! Man where was that when I was drinking. Wonder if you could have a couple leave, then go back and get another? Humm? bet it has been tried. Might as well as be giving out free poison, because that is what it is to me. I guess all you can do is prey for the poor people.

Where I live in new york there is literally Im not kidding a bar or pub on every corner ...
I give the recovering alcoholics alot of respect
Old 07-29-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lurker

That is where I have it good. Where I live it is a Baptist church on every corner. Bars are not permitted. heck this was a dry county up to a few years ago. Really made an alky work for it.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To me it's no different than a grocery store handing out candy samples when there is a diabetic around.If you want to drink your going to no matter if it's free or three times the normal price.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baggervance View Post
To me it's no different than a grocery store handing out candy samples when there is a diabetic around.If you want to drink your going to no matter if it's free or three times the normal price.

or for me... everytime you go to the doctors office ........ free everytime
gosh talk about easy you know?
hey bagger how are you and the family?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im good Jen hope you are feeling better.Family is great getting ready to move oldest to college.You find out anything bouy your detox?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Fact is....

The owner has a full right to promote business in this fashion or the bar would be

shut down already...

Most likely the campaign advertises free beer in a limited amount..then you gotta

buy the rest!

And..what will stop folks rom dropping a dollar for a beer at the supermaket?

I did that so many times the cashiers and I were on a first name basis...

just one and then one and then one.

AA says these enticements will usually not bother us if we are in fit spiritual

condition..

Sure..it says "free beer"..so what? We do not have to step inside..

That would be a choice only we would make...

Love,

IO
Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im good Jen hope you are feeling better.Family is great getting ready to move oldest to college.You find out anything bouy your detox?

I contacted my family doctor on his emergency number and let him know Im an addict ( very shocked I did that ) so I am seeing him tomorrow first thing for him to get me into a good detox at his affiliated hosp. (so he can over see my case)
He told me to rest and drink plenty of fluids... I did and wound up vomiting ALOT ... (sorry thats gross)
I feel like alot **** came out of me and im sure thats a good thing.
Got to feel bad before feeling good right ?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I got to be an expert vomiter.Glad you talked to your doc. Never done a med. detox but I would think it cant be ant worse than cold turkey.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I got to be an expert vomiter.Glad you talked to your doc. Never done a med. detox but I would think it cant be ant worse than cold turkey.
Its because hes aware of my kidney problems so it would be best he takes care of this with me

Are you excited about sending your oldest to school?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No she's my baby going to be hard on this old drunk with her gone.Worried bout her going to big city crime and all. we got one redlight in our town so gonna be culture shock for her.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No she's my baby going to be hard on this old drunk with her gone.Worried bout her going to big city crime and all. we got one redlight in our town so gonna be culture shock for her.

she going to Knoxville, TN or out of state completely ?
dont worry bagger she is gonna make you proud and im sure she will be safe
i dont have any children , in fact i cant have any, but I kno it must be hard to see your babies grow up one by one
but stand tall and be proud shes turning out to be a strong independent woman