OT a Little Fun

Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

OT a Little Fun

Having grown up with REAL cartoons as a child and the love of Saturday Mornings to see them in Living Black and White (we did not have color TV until I was in college in the late 70's, but by then it was a choice and not just a financial one!).. I loved Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner.

I have often thought I have patterned my Life after Mr. Coyote.. getting things from Acme that worked to my disadvantage but not to the disadvantage of others... (someday I will share with you my letter to the Hoover Vacuum people.. THAT is a classic).

I really do want a tunnel kit that allows me to paint a tunnel on a wall that allows the Road Runner thru but if I go in it, a train comes out and runs me down... or the road runner goes thru it and I hit the wall...

And who would not like to be able to be hit on the head with a fry pan and have their head assume the shape of the pan but go back to normal when they shake it?

Wile E. Coyote is my HERO. The Raod Runner is everyone else... LOL

So.. I thought I would share with you this website:

http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme.html

(it is the 4th of July and it is raining here... )
Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

OMG - that is funny! Thanks for this post - it made me smile.... "living black and white". I do remember! (remember the first time you got to see the NBC peacock in living color? I do... it was fascinating!)
Old 07-04-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL I loved Wile E Coyote too.

Not to hijack the thread, but that time frame reminded me of a few old things as well. I recently explained to a few nieces, nephews, and 2nd cousins the concept of a "party line" telephone.

The stares I got were priceless. What a fossil I am!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme/ultima.html

This would be a good Acme product for us codies...
Old 07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I never saw the wizard of Oz in color until I was an adult. Never understood the line about the "horse of a different color..." He was grey? ROFL

My parents had a party line phone until about 6 years ago.....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

I always wanted Wiley to win, and Sylvester to get Tweetybird....
I loved Underdog!
Have you ever seen a really old Popeye cartoon or the origional Bettie Boop? Wow, they put a lot of work into those.

They really don't make cartoons like they used to. Or comic books I noticed. When I was a kid a comic book was 25 cents too, now they are $2.50 last I checked. How is a kid supposed to build a decent collection at that price?

The wizard of oz is still one of my fav. movies.

We didn't have color TV until well into the 70s either.

I grew up on a farm out in the country. We had a wringer washer for doing laundry, any one remember those?

I remember when they installed our first indoor toilet and bathtub when I was 5 yrs. old.
Yup, we had an outhouse!

I rememeber dinasaurs roaming the fields at night.....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I was riding one of the dinosaurs..... my first "horse" was a Raptor....
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember listening to the Sunday morning comics being read on the radio. I bet I am one of the few in this forum who collected Katy Keene comics.

I remember getting my first television when I was in 5th grade. It was a black and white. We were the late adopters in our neighborhood.

My grandmother had this plastic sheet that she put over the old black and white television screen. It was green at the bottom, blue at the top and a neutral color in the middle. It gave the illusion of color. It looked fine when you viewed outdoor scenes, but a little peculiar on the Ed Sullivan Show.

I also cheered for the underdog in sports, films, and in life. I even felt sorry for Frankenstein in the original movie.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG Elana where do your parents live?

I remember picking eggs from the chicken coop. One of the other things I told the younger relatives recently is that chicken eggs are not naturally white, they bleach them to get them that way. I'm not sure they believed me.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

My parents live in New York State.. over near the MA border. The phone company for years was local and small.. had party lines and because they were cheaper my parents hung on until their line became private by default.

We had chickens.. or more importantly my Brother had chickens. We also raised ring necked pheasants when I was real small.. in the City of Albany (which was illegal.... Hey.. My Ex wanted to find some "dirt" on me.. there it is.. probably go to jail for raising 'fowl' in the city limits back in 1960).

We had horses too. In the early 70's we had the Great Oil Embargo so my parents bought a wood stove. We had moved out of Albany and had access to 100 acres of woods and harvested all the dead trees to heat the house. When we got every thing cut up near the house we needed to start moving wood from further away.. I got an old Horse collar and got my horse (untrained for this BTW) to haul logs. He always acted like this was really beneath his dignity and there were some hair raising tales!

We cut the wood (my Father and Brother and I) with a two man Cross cut saw and split it with an ax. I like working in the woods to this day, tho a chain saw is used now.. I could still do the two man saw and an ax.

and watched Road Runner on TV and Hogan's Heros after school in winter.... AFTER the horses were cared for and the wood box filled!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by raerae6 View Post
I rememeber dinasaurs roaming the fields at night.....

Oh you guys are cracking me up here. I'm giving my age away because I can relate to all of this.

I think I was the only kid I know who didn't like Wizard of Oz... the little squeaky people, munchkins? scared the bejeepers out of me for some reason.

I loved Saturday morning TV...Sky King was a favourite and all the Shirley Temple movies even though they were pretty old themselves by then.

I think we got 4 stations, ABC, NBC, CBS and a Canadian station CBC which shared national and local shows. And Saturday night was always "Hockey Night In Canada" with everyone gathered to watch the hockey game and eat wonderful snacks.

We didn't have a party line, but our phone numbers all began with words...I remember mine to this day...EDgewater 7- 2989.

Whoa, I better slow down here I could trip down memory lane all night.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ok............I'm under 40.......and I do not know what a party line is.............whats that?

Shows..........Lost in space, the monkeys? anyone remember those?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yes...Lost in Space (had a crush on Don...but then again, who didn't?)

The Brady Bunch and Leave it To Beaver were huge.

Ann...I LOVED watching Shirley Temple, Laurel and Hardy, and all of those movies with Micky Rooney on Sunday mornings!

My brothers, of course. LOVED the three stooges!!

Ha! Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Sky King.. man my Dad HATED that show.. I thought it was OK.. but I preferred Fury and My Friend Flicka. I liked Lassie but Dad hated the whining the dog did. Rin Tin Tin was good... but Fury was better... and who could forget Mr. Ed?

and the Wonderful World of Disney.. came on at 7:30 and we had to go to bed immediately after..

A party line for you young whipper Snappers is a line where all the phones ring when a call comes in. Your phone had a special ring so you knew if it was for you or for some other 'party.' You could listen in on the neighbor's gossip if you were quiet (but the person on the outside would fade so they always knew) and if you wanted to use the phone and picked up and ppl were talking you had to wait until they were done.

You could ask for the line (politely) if you really needed it.. but you can bet that did not happen unless someone was dying..

Lost in Space.. I just wanted them to LEAVE Dr. Smith.. man that show was codies in training. Dr. Smith was EVIL and they always fell for his whining and promises.. (not that any of us have ever done anything remotely similar). We blame this Codie thing on parents and addicts.. it was really from TV from the 50's and 60's....
Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Folks, My life was Star Trek!! I was IN LOVE with Mr. Spock!! He was so logical, just like me! (Palmtree, my sis-in-law can tell you!) And even now I find Leonard Nimoy quite charming for an older gent.
Favourite episode: "the Trouble with Tribbles".
Live long and prosper!!

Last edited by tropikgal2; 07-04-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forget something
Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

I loved Star Trek and especially Spock!

Remember the episode when Spock had a jam session with those inter-galactic hippies??

Kirk was ok, buy always violating the prime directive when there was a woman he was interested in...

i never even heard of Sky King. But then we only had reception on 2 channels!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I learned to dance watching American Bandstand. My brothers were 6 and 8 years older than I was, so always won the battle when I wanted to watch The Mickey Mouse Club.

But I loved to dance too and my brothers wouldn't dance with me, so I always had an imaginary partner who looked just like Fabian. Remember this? "I'd give it a nine Dick, nice beat and good song"?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

OMG American BAndstand and Soul Train! Back-to-back on Saturday! I learned to dance watching those shows too. Disco daze......
Old 07-05-2007, 05:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

my first pet was a triceratop
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Did anyone buy Ovaltine because it was advertised on Captain Midnight and you could get a decoder to decipher secret messages? Did anyone buy Peter Pan Peanutbutter to get the Davy Crockett record? (I guess advertising was powerful in the early days of television, too.)

American Bandstand was in black and white and was on M-F afternoons.
Ann, I would give it a 10 because it has a great beat and it's easy to dance to! You could call me at DIckens 6-4798.

Splendra, nice pet! You made me LOL.

Last edited by Guinevere; 07-05-2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: repeated thought