The trip to treatment & we're still on the rollercoaster!

Old 05-13-2003, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

The trip to treatment & we're still on the rollercoaster!

Well ladies and germs, the trip to take my daughter to treatment was uh...well, let's say it just didn't go QUITE as smoothly as I had wanted.

Flight with layover was long. Daughter was just not feeling good at all, said she was 'achey' all over. Finally got to first destination to spend first night. Daughter started throwing up (sorry so graphic) at midnight and felt just awful. I called treatment place which was 2 hours away and asked could this be detoxing. They couldn't say for sure but thought not. She continued to be sick during the night, crying, feeling so badly. Got up at crack of dawn next a.m. to drive the 2 hrs to get to treatment center. Upon driving up to treatment center, she started with the throwing up and it was downhill from there. They ended up sending us to an Immediate Care facility. 1 shot of phenegran (sp?) and another shot of something else to stop the nausea didn't even TOUCH her throwing up. Doc said her throat looked awful too. She was the sickest I have ever seen her and we were only 900 miles from home! Dr. said take her to the hospital, that she was too sick for them and she was becoming dehydrated. He said he didn't think it was detox related but couldn't say for sure. Ended up at emergency room and was there for hourssssssssssss. Gave her fluids and the throwing up FINALLY stopped but left me with a very sick and weak little girl. Took her to the hotel with me to let her recuperate. I was one scared mama during all this and just prayed a lot.

She did get to feeling better after a day and we decided to ck her into treatment on Sunday a.m. It was an okay time with the people being nice and several girls speaking to my daughter to make her feel welcomed. As I left I tried not to cry for I was and am so thankful she is there. I guess it was just having to leave her. It's a mama thing I know. She was trying to be tough but I know she was scared to death. We hugged, I told her how much we love her, and her, with her witty sense of humor said, "Just remember mama, don't drink and go to meetings." I drove off and am proud to say I did NOT fall apart. Well, not entirely anyway. So I was okay until..............(did I mention I got lost ONLY once ending up in the ghetto of downtown New Orleans as I raced back to airport only to find they had changed my flight to the WRONG NIGHT? Yes, that was me on the floor of the airport, crying "Why me, Lord? Why me?????" So yep, I had the pleasure of spending another night. A 2 day trip turned into a 5 day one! ARGGGGGGGGGH! And why was this the time I packed LIGHTLY with only 2 outfits and 2 pair of underwear??? I normally have enough clothes AND underwear to outfit the 3rd Infantry Division! But anyway, I finally got home and was doing okay until.......

Tonight she called with her one phone call for the week. She was pitiful, so sad and crying. I know it's an adjustment period for her and I almost am embarrassed to even write this here for I fear some of you will want to kick me to the curb telling me, "Suck it up Hangin'! She's in the best place!" I know that. And I tried to remind her of that, but I don't think anything (short of visit from her b/f) would have helped tonight. I did remind her that her 'present love/boyfriend' (who is a 3 1/2 years sober recovering A) told her right before she left that she had been a little (excuse my french) 'pissy' lately knowing he was relating her pissiness (is that a word?) to her using. So I said, "Hey, remember honey? Pissy? You're there to 'depiss' yourself." She KINDA chuckled. (**** is not a word I normally use but when your daugther is in treatment and crying like there is no tomorrow, you will say whatever it takes to help cheer them up...smiles.)

Ok, Al Anon training. KICK IN! I know I'm powerless and I know I can't do it for her. I just want her to get the most out of this treatment for I feel like this is 'her chance'. And if her attitude is like "I don't want to be here" then, oh gosh.

My prayer is "Please Lord, let her adjust, settle in, and realize this is the time to work on herself." If you're a praying person, would you please pray for her? And I AM thankful that I know where she is tonight, that I know that she is in a safe place, that I know she is where she can get help. My Al Anon training has at least sunk in to that point....that I know to be grateful for every good thing. It's just the crying gets to my heart. And if you're a mama, I feel sure you understand.

Thanks guys. I appreciate you lending me your shoulder.

Love,

Hangin' In
Old 05-14-2003, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

****{Hangin}}}

It must have been very hard for you do see her like that. I can only imagine what you are going through.

I just wanted to let you know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending tons of hugs your way.

Love,
Debbie
Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((Hangin in))))))))))

You and your daughter have my prayers. Anytime a child is sick, we worry--plus all this other stuff. She's likely to be a bit weepier when she's been sick now treatment. She's where she needs to be, and I'm sure you know that. We knew it wouldn't be easy.

During this "time", spend time on yourself! You deserve it.

Lyn
Old 05-14-2003, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hangin In,

Sometimes I think we control junkies always get an extra dose of simple plans going awry.
From my vantage point of distance, I can wonder if it isn't a lesson in futility about who is in control?!?!?!

I know I can joke around and be well, pointed with you...we have been talking for awhile..

I can't take it when my daughter crys to me heartbroken either. I want to fix it for her and FIX IT NOW.
Except the things that need to be done are things we can't do for them. Or, no doubt we WOULD!!

Barbiedeb had an al-anon of the day that sticks in my mind, about how we rob them and cripple them from gaining the strength of their experience when we take what is their's on our selves. We send them the message that they are not capable of managing their own. And that we are.

Okay, yeah, I know they are not capable NOW. But we are supposed to let them learn to be.
Yours is in a safe learning place.
And I keep an eye out for the safety net under mine.

But I did back off and say...I can't handle it, you'll have to.

And THAT was the truth!
Her pain tore me up long after she had gone on and put it behind her.

Hugs to you, hangin'.

And I can think of lots of pissy jokes.
If it brings her and you laughter well....just p away!

live
Old 05-14-2003, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

(((((Hangin In)))))& (((((your daughter))))
God Bless you both may he grant you both peace in recovery as he continues his works in your lives.
When my daughter did in house for 3mths last yr.
even though she wasnt far, it was 30 days before i could
see her, the first days for us both were bad. but adjustment clicks in. gratitude takes over as you know its a new beginning for recovery.
Even though my daughter did not stay sober, she knows the
program now and has the tools to do it.God's timing is not mine.
(darn it) !
We're allowed to cry and yell"its not fair"! and its not but finally
i can say i have found some acceptance of myself and what
she must suffer through to get where God wants her.

its all hard - but i can see you have your program and a mom's
heart .
love
liddy
Old 05-14-2003, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Hangin in,
If the trip was simple and with no "bumps" in the road, you wouldn't have learned what you need to, to work thru this. I have to agree with livewired... If you can believe that your HP is working these situations out, than you can stand back and let the work be done. Alll you have to do is keep your eyes, ears and HEART open to your faith in your HP... You'll always be given exactly what you need.
I will keep your daughter in my prayers and thoughts... and you too. Try to take peace and comfort in knowing that she is safe, and in just the right place.
Love to you,
Meg
Old 05-14-2003, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

****{Hangin'}}}

So that was YOU I saw on CNN wailing at the airport.

You did a nice thing, and it is lucky you were with her when she was so sick, whether it was detoxing or not. And now she is safe in a program, and I know that it takes a week or so to settle in. Don't forget that she hasn't faced life clean and sober for a while, and that alone takes a big adjustment.

So now is the time for you to do something nice for you. Read your recovery books, get to a meeting, and just put up your feet and relax. You deserve it.

My prayers go out for you and for your daughter, that she may find the strength and courage and faith she needs to get through this and find hope for tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh Hangin'

What a long, strange trip it was for you. Isn't it amazing how we are always there with the "emotional first aid kit" for them? Pass the tiara, I think Hangin' needs to be Queen For The Day.
Hugs to you pal. I think it's time for a nice long bubble bath and anything that involves chocolate.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-14-2003, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

(((( hangin ))))))

Wow what a week! Take some time to recover yourself.

Imagine all of us coming to where you are.... You don't care about how the house looks cuz we certainly don't give a hoot - we only care about YOU. It can be a pot luck of support. I'll show up with a candle and some bubbles for the bubble bath. I bet Anns will bring bunny slippers and a video tape of something with Mel Gibson in it. Who's got the soothing music? C'mon you guys. Its time for us to RALLY

O59