Show of Hands Pls-How many "Want" to be HERE?

Old 05-14-2003, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Show of Hands Pls-How many "Want" to be HERE?

Hey Hangin-In

Sorry to hear about how bumpy the road ws in getting your daughter into rehab. Sorry too tht she doesn't wnt to be there,
I knw as a Mom your heart strings are being pulled and you wnt to "FiX It" for her and rescue her from her discomfort. Hmmn Discomfort seems to be a word tht is so famiiliar to me--How bout you? Let's go bk in time shall we--To our first Al-Anon meeting.
Were we all excited at the prospect of walking thru tht door?
I knw I had alot of apprehension but I ws finally at the end of my rope and in so much pain tht I knew I needed Help. After I attended my first Al-anon meeting I felt so much better, however
I still had to face alot of "uncomfortable" feelings during the meetings tht followed tht---I pushed myself thru, ws embrassed at my "shaky " presentations and went to more meetings, made myself speak again and now I cn say tht I am so much more comfortable speaking to the group. There were many times tht although I ws there, I wnted to bolt and run but I worked thru tht
Discomfort and found low and behold tht I ws COMFORTED BY SHARING MY PAIN, AND WS ABLE TO LET GO AND LET GOD IN A WAY I NEVER HD BEFORE. I gained strenght and wisdom, hope and love from others in simuliar situations. Now isn't it just possible tht your daughter could find wht we hv found in our program? I thinks so but first she will hv to be Uncomfortable.
In closing I just wnt to say You did the right thing Hangin-In by leaving her there, you did the hard thing, the difficult thing, and now it's up to her to WORK her way to finding peace in herself in her life. God Bless You and your daughter and Keep you both in His Tender Care. Hugs Sparrow
Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great post, Sparrow, and food for thought.

In a perfect world, none of us would need to be here, but since I need what this program has given me, I can honestly say I want to be here.

I cringe to look back at how I was before beginning this journey, and when I think of all the gifts I have received here, I am grateful. I have received the gift of love, support, wisdom, laughter and tears from each person on these boards. I have received the gifts of trust, faith and peace from my newfound spirituality and relationship with God. And I have received the gift of serenity, allowing me to love myself again and to feel the freedom of letting go of that which is not mine.

Do I "want" to be here? You bet your bunnyslippers I do .
Old 05-14-2003, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Sparrow,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. And thank you, Ann, for your words, too. Just makes me realize how BLESSED I AM to have found this place and you people. I honestly can say ya'll are as much of my support group as my up close and personal Al Anon friends.

And I know my daughter has to suffer through the discomforts, but it sure does pull at my heart. This is when I wish I could be so objective and turn off my feelings. But we all know that isn't possible and life wouldn't be near as joyous if we couldn't and didn't love our children, spouses or parents who are struggling.

So am I thankful I am here? Yes, I am. Is this the script I would have written for my life? No way. But I do know that my HP is in control and HE knows what is best. I just have to get out of the way so he can connect with my daughter and my daughter with him. And that is my prayer for my daughter and for all of our loved ones who are battling this terrible disease of addiction.

Thanks again, gals. You're the best....

Love,

Hangin' In
Old 05-14-2003, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

What I have learned most since finding a program, is how important it is to love myself. To figure out WHO I am, and how to acheive the peace and happiness that was always here for my taking. I have also learned how important Spirituality is in my life. It used to be that I was "OK", and that all those religious types were "quackos". But when I surrendered my heart, I allowed my HP to find me.
I am completely thankful that I have my program, and that I have this site, and all of you... even tho I had to wade thru the crap to get here - I wouldn't change a thing.
Good topic!
Meg
Old 05-14-2003, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Not I" said the Little Red Hen! I never dreamed I'd find myself in this position in life. But I sure am thankful I found you guys! I really don't know how I survived the last couple of years without you. Thanks for being there.

Lyn
Old 05-14-2003, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

YES!

I am grateful for the As in my life. Without them I would not have found this program of happiness and hope. I wouldn't have the tools to deal with life on life's terms. I wouldn't have this incredible relationship with my HP.

And I wouldnt know all of you. Did I sign up for this when I booked the trip? Heck no!! Am I ever grateful for the detour?

Yes I am

Hugs all around to my forum friends & family

O59
Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

In the last three years, I've survived breast cancer and living with a depressed alcoholic. I got to the end of my rope, felt so isolated and alone....... and then I turned to God.

And, God has given me new friends, a warm church family, and the support of Al-anon members.

If it hadn't been for living with my A, I would not have a relationship with God.

Do I want to be here? YES! Being here is great.

Just imagine how bad it'd be if I were the alcoholic!!! Any of you ever check out the message boards for folks with the dependency? They live in pain and fear and guilt. We're living in the sunshine!