Notices

Home Group?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Home Group?

Please let me know your Opinion on why it is good to have a Home Group. I have one and I just absolutely love it there. Not only does it help me to be a part of something, but it makes me a responsible member to be there and to help be of service. I am Grateful to know today that I have a place where I am needed!

With Love & Respect

Vic
Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My home group is on Saturday night. Its the one meeting each week I try to never miss no matter what I have going on. I arrive early and help set up. I stick around for group conscience. I celebrate birthdays there.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

I feel very at home in my home group too. I have been going there over a year now and the people there really know me . If I don't come around people call. Last time I relapsed a friend came over and WOULD NOT go away...she kept knocking and knocking till finally I flung open the door and said "I DON"T WANT TO SEE ANYBODY"...she said "I really don't give a damn" and walked in anyway...I had been holed up in the house thinking about suicide and she really helped me pull myself up .
I thank god she was there for me...
love north
Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Thanks everyone and yes most of us do have home groups and I too get calls when I don't show up which isn't very often. We have meetings every night at 6pm which really is kind of a bad time to have them but it has been like that since the group started.

I think that most of all it helps us to get involved, just like what has been stated. I know that I try to go up there and clean, clean ashtrays, mop, etc. however I don't do it when people are around. It is good to be of service to others today which is part of the message that we carry.

Most of us share the responsibility to chair the meetings and that helps others to be a part of rather than being apart from. Showing up is also carrying the message that this does work. Grateful today for home groups and the people there that care!

With Love & Respect

Vic
Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

You said it all already. I have a home group. I go to it regularly, I do service work there, I know people there and people know me, my sponsor is in the group. It is my NA home. Thanks for reminding me of how important a home group is.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I was just following suggestions...

One of the suggestions I followed in early recovery was changing people, places and things. I was told that, in order to begin the growth process, I had to get familiar with the fellowship and the principles of recovery: and one of the best ways to do this was by joining a group. Joining a group allowed me to establish a "home" in NA, and it was suggested that the group I choose to call my "home group" should be a meeting where I felt most comfortable (out of all the meetings I attended). Because I felt comfortable there, it was easier for me to consistently attend and as I grew more familiar with my fellow home group members, friendships developed. Now that I had new friends who would be there, my home group was even more attractive and I looked forward to going every week. It wasn't long before I got involved in service and it really felt good for people to trust me again. Most importantly...through helping others, I learned how to trust myself.

As a result of becoming employed and being responsible in other areas of my life, I've only changed home groups once. I've been a member of my current home group for over 6 years and I can count the times I've missed that meeting on one hand! Joining a group that you can call "home" is one of the most important decisions we can make in early recovery, and the rewards that come from that committment continue to reveal themselves as long as we stay involved.

GarryW
Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Dopeless Hope Fiend

miss my home group

Me, because of the situation I am in with the work that I do , truck driver, have come to miss my home group, it is neat to meet other addicts and go to other meetings outside my area, but it doesn't replace the feeling I had every Tuesday night, to see my "Circle of Friends" again, I go whenever I can , but that is not often enough by a long shot, if I am home I am there though, thanks Vic good topic to chew on tonight in Texarkana, AR
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have had alot of homegroups.
i started alot of meetings.
i am in another country than my sponsor,but he came up to canada last year and helped some of my sponsees start a meeting 2 blocks from my home.
my homegroup is closer to toronto,about a 30 minute drive from here.
we statred my homegroup because the only meeting in town monday night was a real clickish group that ignored newcomers
eventualy i will have to change groups again because of the distance(cant drive do to stroke)
but untill then i will be there every monday