Thread: Home Group?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

I was just following suggestions...

One of the suggestions I followed in early recovery was changing people, places and things. I was told that, in order to begin the growth process, I had to get familiar with the fellowship and the principles of recovery: and one of the best ways to do this was by joining a group. Joining a group allowed me to establish a "home" in NA, and it was suggested that the group I choose to call my "home group" should be a meeting where I felt most comfortable (out of all the meetings I attended). Because I felt comfortable there, it was easier for me to consistently attend and as I grew more familiar with my fellow home group members, friendships developed. Now that I had new friends who would be there, my home group was even more attractive and I looked forward to going every week. It wasn't long before I got involved in service and it really felt good for people to trust me again. Most importantly...through helping others, I learned how to trust myself.

As a result of becoming employed and being responsible in other areas of my life, I've only changed home groups once. I've been a member of my current home group for over 6 years and I can count the times I've missed that meeting on one hand! Joining a group that you can call "home" is one of the most important decisions we can make in early recovery, and the rewards that come from that committment continue to reveal themselves as long as we stay involved.

GarryW